Sponsored by:

2000 Cab top down light on

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 10:48 PM
PaulandCandis
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Cab top down light on

New to the forum and new to Porsche. I have had my 911 for a few weeks since trading a fella for my Z06 ... love the car but tonight i find that when i put the top down the light still stays on but does seem to be fully seated and down. When the top is up the light goes off as it should ... Only indication of a problem is when the top is down the light stays on ... Any insight would be great :-)

Paul
Old 09-04-2018, 12:33 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

You've probably tried this, but have you continued to hold down the button until the windows start coming up?
Old 09-04-2018, 03:24 PM
PaulandCandis
6th Gear

I thought that the windows only came up on a long button press when going up... On going down I have not held it much longer than it stops moving I can give it a try :-)

Paul
Old 09-04-2018, 06:21 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

It works like that on my MY2000. Doesn't really make sense to me but that's how it works.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:52 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

My cab does the same. Once you think the light should go off it takes a few more seconds of holding the button before it will.....maybe 2 or 3 and then the light will go off.....the windows will start to go up at almost the same moment as the light turns off.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:27 AM
PaulandCandis
6th Gear

Ok i tried those things and it still stayed on ... I failed to take a photo but I did find a sensor under the rear cover which was located in the center section of the area under the cover. It had a white connector and was piggybacked with a blue connector. it had a metal tip and seemed to be activated when a brass colored arm rested against it when the top was closed. (photo would be worth a thousand words here) regardless I removed the sensor put it on the bench and ohmed it out, It appeared to work properly but I cleaned it best as i could with flux-off and reinstalled. I also cleaned the area around the connector including the brass like arm that rest against it when active. Net is the light is going off :-) I left the cover off and added a pig tail connector so that I can test it when in the fail state if it happens again. Note top closed this switch is open... top open this switch is closed.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:58 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulandCandis
Ok i tried those things and it still stayed on ... I failed to take a photo but I did find a sensor under the rear cover which was located in the center section of the area under the cover. It had a white connector and was piggybacked with a blue connector. it had a metal tip and seemed to be activated when a brass colored arm rested against it when the top was closed. (photo would be worth a thousand words here) regardless I removed the sensor put it on the bench and ohmed it out, It appeared to work properly but I cleaned it best as i could with flux-off and reinstalled. I also cleaned the area around the connector including the brass like arm that rest against it when active. Net is the light is going off :-) I left the cover off and added a pig tail connector so that I can test it when in the fail state if it happens again. Note top closed this switch is open... top open this switch is closed.
*This needs a picture...
Old 09-05-2018, 12:08 PM
PaulandCandis
6th Gear

I will grab a photo tonight :-)
Old 09-05-2018, 07:37 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Looking forward to the photo as my top light will not go off either. Maybe this will be a viable solution for me...
Old 09-05-2018, 09:08 PM
PaulandCandis
6th Gear

ok got a photo it is the switch with the wire coming out of it in the center .... it runs into the white connector which is piggybacked on the blue connector.

It is a funky switch with what appears to be a conductive contact on the tip that may check or need continuity with the metal cable as it closes..... Regardless i cleaned it all up and it works. You may not need to remove it I would just check it with a OHM meter and see if it is functioning properly then clean the front of the switch and the surface where it contacts and see what happens :-) click the amazon link below for the photo :-)

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-06-2018, 08:27 AM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks my man! Ill try and get to this tomorrow and report back.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:07 AM
PaulandCandis
6th Gear

give it a try ... I wanted to do some more testing tonight to see if it actually needed continuity on the tip of the switch by putting a piece of Mylar on the tip .... or measure resistance between the two but have not got to it you can enlarge my photo and see the tip of the switch which may be brass or gold plated. I would just unseat the connector push the switch see if your meter shows the resistance change then clean all contact points and give it a whirl

Quick Reply: 2000 Cab top down light on