Sponsored by:

996 Nav System, What came with your car originally

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:01 PM
bhobson
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 996 Nav System, What came with your car originally

To all you early adopters out there who got a nav system in 1998-2002. The Nav system used CD's. There were 7 different CDs to cover the continental US.

My question is this: When you took delivery of your Porsche with Nav did it include all 7 CD's? Or did it include only 1 (Your area) and you had to purchase the other 6? I have a 996 with Nav, but only got 1 CD and I am trying to piece together an "as delivered" car (manuals, discs, stickers, service records etc). I don't know for certain what originally came with the Nav cars.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2018, 06:57 PM
Nacra
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 02 with Nav that I have owned for two years. I purchased the car in Arizona and live in So Cal. It came with 2 CDs, One that includes Az and one that covers Ca. This car was purchased new in Ca and later resided in Az. I would think Porsche sold these cars with only one CD. My car probably came the the Ca CD and the second owner residing in Az probably purchased the second CD.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:00 PM
GH996
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

My car was delivered in Chicago and then ended up in MN. It only included a disk from the Midwest.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:14 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Nuffin'... no nav! Thank god - old nav systems are horrible. Iphone with Waze (or occasionally google maps) is perfect - works everywhere. I understand the wish to keep the stock system, but it's one of those things that just became antiquated and fairly useless in a short amount of time.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:35 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
Nuffin'... no nav! Thank god - old nav systems are horrible. Iphone with Waze (or occasionally google maps) is perfect - works everywhere. I understand the wish to keep the stock system, but it's one of those things that just became antiquated and fairly useless in a short amount of time.
Ditto! The proprietary navigation systems in modern vehicles are always a step behind and when you go to get them updated or added to the car, the dealership wants tons of money. I asked what it would cost to add a factory navigation systems to one of my cars. There response - $2,200! Heck, GM wants $200 to just update the maps. And people think Porsches are expensive? Not the case anymore. All of them are finding ways to make extra on a car sale. My mother just purchase one of those fancy mid-sized Cadillac SUV. It has navigation, but only works through a subscription to OnStar. Translation = $$$
Personally, you're better off getting a iphone mount and using the free google maps or Waze as dporto mentioned. But I understand why people like the old Porsche PCM radios - cause they want to maintain the factory setup.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:50 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
X2. I don't even use the NAV in my new car. WAZE is King.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:33 AM
su8pack1
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't have the nav in my 996, but my museum delivery Corvette C6 did and came with a DVD for the maps. It came with 3 years of free updates, the last of which was 2 DVD's one for the eastern and one for the western US. It actually still works pretty good.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:33 AM
bhobson
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are all right, of course. If I do actually want to get somewhere I use my phone and Waze. This post is about historical accuracy. I am giving serious consideration to doing concours with my car and I want to make sure I have all the items with the car when it was originally delivered. I was looking for help with the original CDs, boxes, cases etc that came with the car. My car was originally delivered in Atlanta. I received it with 1 CD (South East which covers Atlanta).

Any historical information regarding Nav discs etc would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2018, 10:38 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

As Nacra said, I also think that the Nav disk came with the car for the area where it was purchased. Mine was bought in LA area by my Bro-in-law in 2003 and it came w/ Disk #1 for CA & Nevada. Then when I got it from him and moved to Dallas in 2005, I bought the Porsche OEM Disk for the Dallas area from NavTech. At that time, it was still available but unfortunately (as you already found out) they are no more available. Anyway like others have said the PCM-1 NAV system is really old and archaic, I have never used mine for NAV duty but it still does look cool in the car, lol :-) Cheers,
Old 09-06-2018, 10:45 AM
su8pack1
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bhobson
You are all right, of course. If I do actually want to get somewhere I use my phone and Waze. This post is about historical accuracy. I am giving serious consideration to doing concours with my car and I want to make sure I have all the items with the car when it was originally delivered. I was looking for help with the original CDs, boxes, cases etc that came with the car. My car was originally delivered in Atlanta. I received it with 1 CD (South East which covers Atlanta).

Any historical information regarding Nav discs etc would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Here's one on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2000-2001-2002-Porsche-911-Carrera-Boxster-Navigation-CD-Map-1-Cover-CA-NV/202405710963?epid=17023388193&hash=item2f20520c73:g:GV0AAOSwlUhbhyl-:sc:USPSFirstClass!19504!US!-1

Quick Reply: 996 Nav System, What came with your car originally