Sponsored by:

Freshly detailed. Two words, CLAY BAR!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 11:22 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MadIrish
C'mon...you know she just did that to make sure you DIDN't get one, right? Mine woulda done the same if she'd thought of it. Lol.
HAHA you would think.... The Porsche was her idea for sure, I never considered owning one. I am a muscle car guy through and thorough. "65 GTO with a 389 tri power is my car. I will say I am glad she wanted one because I love it, the power is awesome and the handling is even better. But it was definitely her who wanted this car ONLY IN WHITE HAHHHAHHAH
Old 08-30-2018, 11:55 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Horsepwr
HAHA you would think.... The Porsche was her idea for sure, I never considered owning one. I am a muscle car guy through and thorough. "65 GTO with a 389 tri power is my car. I will say I am glad she wanted one because I love it, the power is awesome and the handling is even better. But it was definitely her who wanted this car ONLY IN WHITE HAHHHAHHAH
She's got good taste (in cars)!
Old 08-30-2018, 03:10 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Looks awesome, these cars do look great in white! I did the exact same thing the first week i had mine as it was the first of many steps towards making it "mine." I have the same wheels too!
Old 08-30-2018, 03:33 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Originally Posted by 808Bill
She's got good taste (in cars)!
She sure does, I am glad she pushed for it!!
Old 06-08-2019, 07:12 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 821 Likes on 458 Posts

I went into AutoZone earlier to pick up a few items to detail my car with and couldn't decide between a normal clay bar or Griot's synthetic clay bar. I went with the synthetic clay bar and just tested it out using some speed shine. Holy crap. This thing is amazing! I could probably clay bar my entire car in half an hour. I only did one door, but it took just a few minutes and I examined the surface afterwards with a flashlight and couldn't see a single scratch or swirl mark from the clay bar and the finish is smooth as glass now. You don't have to keep folding it over or throw it out if you drop it or any of that stuff. Just rinse it off and keep going.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:50 PM
bac2h
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Horsepwr
Clay the wheels? The same way I did the car? This won't hurt the finish on them? Ill get on Amazon and order that stuff ASAP. Thank you for the input!!
Yes the wheels and don't forget the windows. You won't believe the dirt the clay takes off the glass!!
Old 06-09-2019, 01:26 AM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

It's worth mentioning that claying without following up with a paint correction will leave swirl marks. Swirl marks aren't very noticeable on white paint, but they're especially noticeable on dark colors. Example:

Old 06-09-2019, 04:25 AM
Os7213
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice job! Thanks for sharing! I have the complete kit from Griot garage and bought it following members advises! Cant wait to try the clay bar!

For the headlights cleaning here what I did.
It change the look completely when they are clean.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...storation.html
Old 06-09-2019, 07:01 AM
Horsepwr
Pro

Originally Posted by AKSteve
I went into AutoZone earlier to pick up a few items to detail my car with and couldn't decide between a normal clay bar or Griot's synthetic clay bar. I went with the synthetic clay bar and just tested it out using some speed shine. Holy crap. This thing is amazing! I could probably clay bar my entire car in half an hour. I only did one door, but it took just a few minutes and I examined the surface afterwards with a flashlight and couldn't see a single scratch or swirl mark from the clay bar and the finish is smooth as glass now. You don't have to keep folding it over or throw it out if you drop it or any of that stuff. Just rinse it off and keep going.
Post a picture
Old 06-09-2019, 09:17 AM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 469 Likes on 329 Posts

I would recommend using a different piece of clay for the wheels. Synthetic clay is nice, my routine is usually to wash the car, rinse and then soap it again and it the big flat panels with the synthetic towel. I usually use clay bars around the lower fender and quarter areas, under the skirts, front bumper.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:41 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been watching different detailing videos with the intent to do this to my 996 sooner or later.

Legit Street Cars on Youtube has a whole series on how pro shops do it vs how to DIY. Avalon Kings Ceramic Coating seems to be the perfect final step but my body has all types of imperfections that need to be ironed out first. I figured I'd start with a wash, claybar, paint correction etc on the hood and go from there.

Should be a fun learning experience.

FYI: From what I've seen online, there is a Synthetic Clay glove mit that has been used with similar results to the clay bar: https://www.chemicalguys.com/surface...SAAEgKed_D_BwE
Old 06-09-2019, 12:14 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DGI
I've been watching different detailing videos with the intent to do this to my 996 sooner or later.

Legit Street Cars on Youtube has a whole series on how pro shops do it vs how to DIY. Avalon Kings Ceramic Coating seems to be the perfect final step but my body has all types of imperfections that need to be ironed out first. I figured I'd start with a wash, claybar, paint correction etc on the hood and go from there.

Should be a fun learning experience.

FYI: From what I've seen online, there is a Synthetic Clay glove mit that has been used with similar results to the clay bar: https://www.chemicalguys.com/surface...SAAEgKed_D_BwE
It becomes addicting, part of me wishes I never got into it to make money because now I dread cleaning my own cars. I've been putting off polishing and ceramic coating my wife's car for months now lol.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:07 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSteve
I went into AutoZone earlier to pick up a few items to detail my car with and couldn't decide between a normal clay bar or Griot's synthetic clay bar. I went with the synthetic clay bar and just tested it out using some speed shine.
Does AutoZone carry Griots products now? That would be welcome news.

Mothers used to to be my favorite clay. I've tried Zaino (too gummy), Blackfire (leaves residue), Meguires, and Mothers had always been the best, but I think they changed formulas at some point and new Mothers bars are no longer great like the old stuff. I may give Griots a try, especially if the are now available at AutoZone.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:16 PM
no-subt2
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it advisable to clay bar a ceramic finish, such as Modesta BC-04?
Old 06-09-2019, 06:01 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by no-subt2
Is it advisable to clay bar a ceramic finish, such as Modesta BC-04?
Can you even buy Modest products as a consumer? Any time a ceramic coating is applied a proper wash, decon, clay, and at least a finishing polish should be used to prep the paint.

Quick Reply: Freshly detailed. Two words, CLAY BAR!