Sponsored by:

Starting trouble/misfire right after refueling

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 10:33 PM
snoop
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting trouble/misfire right after refueling

I just did a 16 hour round trip with my stock 996 and during a refuel after hour 12 I experienced an awful engine sound when starting. It sounded like it wanted to catch then misfire. I let it rest for another 10 minutes before trying again and still very tough. The oil measurement said it was completely empty after that 10 minute wait. I checked the dip stick it and I didn't see any oil so I added 2 quarts and tried restarting. I gave it plenty of gas and it finally caught. No check engine light ever came on or codes pop up. Is there a correlation between misfiring and being completely low on oil? I am wondering where the oil went... its not leaking and the coolant looks great. Do these cars burn oil on long drives?

That was the only time that happened. It works great again now.

One thing to note is that I did drive through a monsoon about an hour before refueling, my hunch is that the crank position sensor may have gotten moisture in it.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:25 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

How much oil was on the dipstick after you put 2 quarts in? Did you check?

It’s unlikely that adding oil solves your problem unless you were low enough on oil to do some engine damage. It could have been water in the gas or water from the monsoon.

It would be a good idea to check your oil levels more often to gauge for how much oil you lose over time.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:37 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

The oil is mostly out in the heads on restart (the electronic gauge always shows low on re-start - it takes quite a bit of time to drain back down to the sump). If it showed "completely empty" you might have been a quart low, but most likely not two... Seems to me that if you were really two quarts low the engine would have been making quite a racket...was it? Have you gotten any smoke on start up after adding the 2 quarts?
Old 08-20-2018, 09:52 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by snoop
I just did a 16 hour round trip with my stock 996 and during a refuel after hour 12 I experienced an awful engine sound when starting. It sounded like it wanted to catch then misfire. I let it rest for another 10 minutes before trying again and still very tough. The oil measurement said it was completely empty after that 10 minute wait. I checked the dip stick it and I didn't see any oil so I added 2 quarts and tried restarting. I gave it plenty of gas and it finally caught. No check engine light ever came on or codes pop up. Is there a correlation between misfiring and being completely low on oil? I am wondering where the oil went... its not leaking and the coolant looks great. Do these cars burn oil on long drives?

That was the only time that happened. It works great again now.

One thing to note is that I did drive through a monsoon about an hour before refueling, my hunch is that the crank position sensor may have gotten moisture in it.
What did your oil pressure gauge show?
Old 08-20-2018, 04:02 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Where you on level ground when you checked your oil? Over filling is not good either...

Quick Reply: Starting trouble/misfire right after refueling