Sponsored by:

LN magnetic oil plug failure and oil question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:46 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Let me just add that this thread is not an open invitation for people to email asking for new drain plugs for free because they want the new version. If you have a legit problem that isn't normal wear and tear, I'm happy to replace drain plugs, but no drain plug is a forever item. Just want to make that perfectly clear as several people have emailing thinking they are entitled to free stuff just because.
Damn! I was hoping for a new set of tires. Oh, well.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:06 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Amazing!
Old 08-15-2018, 11:20 AM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

If a drop is 0.05ml, and an oil change is 9.3 gallons, there are 704,080 drops. It would take 244.47 days. Of course, you can save time by changing the oil filter housing contents while you wait.
I think you mean quarts. If you put 9.3 gallons of oil in your engine you'll encounter other problems
Old 08-15-2018, 11:32 AM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

With magnetic drain plugs my concern is always that if the magnet shatters for any reason, or if it slips out of the the aluminum housing, you now have an entire magnet or bits of magnet in your sump. Are the magnets bonded into the aluminum plugs? Or press fit? Just seems like there is a (admittedly small) chance that the magnet could break or come loose and get into your oil supply. Seems to me it would be better to have the magnet on the outside of the plug, embedded in the bottom of a pocket from the outside rather than stuck in the tip of the plug. That way if it breaks or comes loose from the plug, it just falls on the ground.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:49 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraige
With magnetic drain plugs my concern is always that if the magnet shatters for any reason, or if it slips out of the the aluminum housing, you now have an entire magnet or bits of magnet in your sump. Are the magnets bonded into the aluminum plugs? Or press fit? Just seems like there is a (admittedly small) chance that the magnet could break or come loose and get into your oil supply. Seems to me it would be better to have the magnet on the outside of the plug, embedded in the bottom of a pocket from the outside rather than stuck in the tip of the plug. That way if it breaks or comes loose from the plug, it just falls on the ground.
Plugs are glued in with high temp bearing mount, rather than press fit, for that exact reason. Magnets are somewhat fragile and we don't want them to crack or shatter. We haven't had any crack or shatter with the process we use. The bearing mount product works great for this. The magnets are impossible to get out once cured without destroying the magnet and plug.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:35 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

I've had my L&N Magnetic Plug since early 2014. Have had over 11 oil changes on the same plug. Works perfect every time. Thanks, Charles.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:42 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

When properly installed, and torqued these plugs work great.

Every engine we have built since 2008 has received one of these as standard equipment. Of those we’ve had one failure, which was admittedly the user’s fault... He didn’t know “lefty loosey” and ended up tightening his drain plug instead of loosening it. he was one of those guys that made it a monumental effort to “change his own oil”... He exerted over 100Ft/lb of torque on the plug, and broke the hex tool....

That didn’t stop him. He replaced the tool and went back at it, before he finally called us when the plug failed to complain about how we had “over- torqued” his drain plug, and now it was impossible to remove. He destroyed his sump plate in the process. When Jake told him that he’d been tightening the plug, rather than loosening it, the voice on the other end of the phone went really quiet..

Yes, he was a member of this forum, and an Engineer. #truestory
Old 08-15-2018, 02:07 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

Every engine we have built since 2008 has received one of these as standard equipment. Of those we’ve had one failure, which was admittedly the user’s fault... He didn’t know “lefty loosey” and ended up tightening his drain plug instead of loosening it. he was one of those guys that made it a monumental effort to “change his own oil”... He exerted over 100Ft/lb of torque on the plug, and broke the hex tool....

That didn’t stop him. He replaced the tool and went back at it, before he finally called us when the plug failed to complain about how we had “over- torqued” his drain plug, and now it was impossible to remove. He destroyed his sump plate in the process. When Jake told him that he’d been tightening the plug, rather than loosening it, the voice on the other end of the phone went really quiet..

^^This^^ is classic! Oh well, we all screw up from time to time
Old 08-15-2018, 03:11 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to worry that 19 ft/lb would be a little on the loose side as the stock setup was around 37 ft/lb. Then I use the same for the oil filter canister as it says 25n/m which is pretty close to 19 ft/lb.
I've always used a fresh crush washer and never had a leak.

Speaking of messing up a routine job. I was changing the rear diff fluid on an 98 M3. The torque for the drain and fill plugs was listed in the Bentley manual as 46 ft/lb. I set my torque wrench to 46 and proceeded to re-install the drain plug, I guess all the heat cycles had weakened the metal on the diff back plate as a large chunk of metal holding the drain plug just broke off. At first I thought I needed a new diff, but really is was just the back plate and a gasket ($120).

Anything that can go wrong will. To this day I am very good about using a the proper torque and expecting parts to have weakened over time.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:28 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraige
I think you mean quarts. If you put 9.3 gallons of oil in your engine you'll encounter other problems
Lol, well the good news is that the corrected value is only 61 days. Good catch.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:31 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 993 Posts

To be honest, I always have to make sure I’m turning the wrench in the right direction, because when I’m under the car or upside down, strange angles, I’m not always sure which direction is right. So I have to take an extra 2 seconds to think about it, lol.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:30 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

+996 I have to go over it a few times in my head to make sure when I'm underneath. I've had mine since 2010 without issue.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:59 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I've read about magnetic oil plug for years. Very controversial subject matter. Seems like Porsche used to put them on their aircooled cars from the factory, right? Why did they stop?
Old 08-16-2018, 06:40 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Boutique engineer no doubt...probably never heard of Carroll Smith

Quick Reply: LN magnetic oil plug failure and oil question