911 pricing vlog

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:25 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by misterted
This thread is really depressing.
I think it's great news. As the sun sets on the gasoline powered car, we may have the chance to drive around in the dream cars of our youth for a reasonable price. I wouldn't mind driving a 1968 GT500KR convertible to the beach in the spring or fall one year. A Jaguar XKE would work too.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:44 AM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a friend who had almost all of his money tied up in classic muscle cars. About 30, and not just any old cars. He knows his stuff and had very desirable examples (one of which was one of the Eleanor originals from the movie). 10 years ago I asked him if he was worried about just the scenario described by loepue (Only now it's worse.). At first he said no, but about 3 years ago he began selling them off, and almost all are gone now. Sad, but you can't ignore reality.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:00 AM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I saw that vid recently and kinda chuckled. The numbers add up but the logic doesn’t. People that collect cars 20 years from now aren’t gonna lump a 2008 GT3RS in the same bucket as a 72 RSR. All cars are collectible for reasons beyond supply, just because there are a small qty of something doesn’t make it valuable.

Lowpure, your spot on. Was just having this convo a few weeks ago. I work in the music industry (read I work with young people) and they don’t have passion for cars like my generation and the one before me. Sure, there are exceptions, but the vast majority would rather be glued to their phone while being driven (or flown) somewhere. Cars meant freedom to generations past, but it involved driving them, sometimes long distances. Thing of the past for the generations to come. Air travel is cheap and driving a car is too cumbersome.

The age of the car lover is ending. And I can’t wait. In another 10-15 years, I’ll finally have the chance at a lot of cars I’ve lusted over for the past 25 years.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Kind of scary if you actually think of it.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:01 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I have three Porsche 356s in various states of disrepair. I intend to restore my 1963 Super 90 to its original configuration, but the other 63 and the 65C might be better off with electric running gear, once the cost of components gets low enough.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

^^ Yeah, especially for cars that hardly ever get driven. I have a 1976 Honda CB motorcycle with an old-school battery, hydrolic brakes, a points ignition, oil in the engine/trans, fuel that deteriorates, vacuum carbs that have brittle rubber hoses and get varnished, etc.

Would make a LOT more sense to have these old vehicles converted to electric. Ride anytime with hardly any maintenance or prep work.

Honestly, the biggest problem on this bike is that batteries just don’t last. If I don’t charge the battery, it only lasts a couple of years. If I toss a trickle charger on it, it burns up even faster. I need a smart removable battery system but haven’t seen anything. I’m actually thinking of using my spare Ryobi drill battery packs so I can just remove the battery when not needed. But I need to figure out the charging system, as I’m told the generator on this bike will always destroy any batteries.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:42 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
I have three Porsche 356s in various states of disrepair. I intend to restore my 1963 Super 90 to its original configuration, but the other 63 and the 65C might be better off with electric running gear, once the cost of components gets low enough.
Ouch....now that is scary...

Let me add something else that will depress you all (it definitely depressed me)…. A while back my friend lent me his well sorted and perfect 1973 911 to drive for a day. Keep in mind I had lusted after the thing for years. After driving it, I realized I really don't enjoy driving the old car like I did back in the day. The new cars have set standards in handling that are orders of magnitude better...I have been spoiled...I have taken the bite out of the apple....I can't go back....that began my thoughts about selling. We remember things as they were relative to others things at the time but when you compare to what the future will bring its all becomes the stone age...

We can either be depressed and jump off a cliff or we can embrace and enjoy the ride (whatever that might be)...though right now I am eyeing that Mission-E, hopefully Porsche doesn't screw it up. It might just be time to let go of my past. How is that for philosophical….
Old 08-02-2018, 12:50 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

^^ This is the reason I like Porsche. There’s just about any car model you get from any time period and any feature. If you like the old stuff, great, they aren’t $2M. Most anyway. Like the newest stuff? Again, pretty affordable at $300k and below and not $2MM. Family hauler? Cayenne or Panamera. Race car? GTs. Reliable daily? 996/7/1 all day long.

Quick Reply: 911 pricing vlog