Sponsored by:

cabriolet top advice on troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:46 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default cabriolet top advice on troubleshooting

So the right side flap is the one preventing the top from being fully automated. I frequently have to help it into position. Any tips out there for where I should start my trouble shooting?
Old 07-30-2018, 05:27 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Without more details, I'd say lubricate the mechanism that operates the flaps.

Look around on Pelican, there are some good articles about the cabriolet top.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/996_tech.htm
Old 07-31-2018, 05:41 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You might want to halt the top half way between it's operation. Lift the back window up out of the way by removing the 2 wire bobbles so you can see and inspect both sides of the mechanical action of the top. This way you can compare if something is missing. Parts can fall away but you will find the part on the window sill after removal. Hope you understand the concept of my advice. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:47 AM
JSRossie
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those flaps are attached to little arms with springs. Like Hurdigurdiman said, move the top to the service position, remove the molded carpet liner and you can see what's going on in there. Could be a broken piece of plastic on the flap or something else. A bright flashlight and looking carefully at the other side for comparison is your best bet to start.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:35 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
You might want to halt the top half way between it's operation. Lift the back window up out of the way by removing the 2 wire bobbles so you can see and inspect both sides of the mechanical action of the top. This way you can compare if something is missing. Parts can fall away but you will find the part on the window sill after removal. Hope you understand the concept of my advice. Good luck.
thanks guys

i have put it in service mode before but I can't see anything overly broken

I tried swapping the springs, i had hoped that the weak left side spring force in relation to the right side was the issue, but no that wasn't the case

The left side flap definitely has more play so I will have to investigate.

Basically, when the left side flap is suppose to move into it's open or closed ledge positions it doesn't move on its own. If I give it a little bit of gentle assistance or move it manually then everything is fine.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:44 PM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Your owners manual has some good troubleshooting procedures that you can try with the side wings.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

went through the manual and tried adjusting the worm screw on the bad side - it seems that the nut just spins, when the motor engages worm screw

Quick Reply: cabriolet top advice on troubleshooting