Sponsored by:

Mk1 vs Mk2

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 03:37 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

I find it strange that the 99 is so durable, yet it’s the cheapest of the 996s. You’d think people would be all over these. So cheap, that in some cases you could buy two for the price of a rare newest C4S.

I know Jake and other would have some stories about D chunk and other issues with the 99 model years - there are 25 modes of failure on this engine - but it still seems pretty reliable compared to all other 996s.

And yet, they have the lowest price. And coming up on 20 years old too, which could make them a classic.

BTW, an aside, Hagarty won’t insurance a classic unless I get a 3rd car.
Part of the reason 99s are probably less popular and go for less money is the less refined interior. Some of the materials are more crummy looking, mainly all the black plastic parts that are more of a pebbly gray appearance. Headlights and taillights with amber elements also have a tendency to look older. All that stuff can be replaced, but costs $$ to do so. And there's a generally-held opinion on all cars that everything gets better with time, so a lot of people are probably blindly assuming a later car is better/faster/stronger/more reliable than an older car. Great news for people that would like to own a 99!
Old 08-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Slak: That sounds like the voice of experience...?
The voice of sending a TT over the tires and wishing it was a C2.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:31 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I know Jake and other would have some stories about D chunk and other issues with the 99 model years - there are 25 modes of failure on this engine - but it still seems pretty reliable compared to all other 996s.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember reading much about increased frequency of D chunk with the 99s versus 2000 or 2001. It appears to me that the D chunk failure occurs more often in the 3.6 of the MK2s. There was a problem with the castings of some of the 99 engine cases that resulted in porosity, intermix, and engine failure. The bad cases should have revealed themselves by now.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:22 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

I find it strange that the 99 is so durable, yet it’s the cheapest of the 996s. You’d think people would be all over these. So cheap, that in some cases you could buy two for the price of a rare newest C4S.

And yet, they have the lowest price. And coming up on 20 years old too, which could make them a classic.

BTW, an aside, Hagarty won’t insurance a classic unless I get a 3rd car.
I have two cars, one insured as a classic through Hagerty!
Old 08-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I have two cars, one insured as a classic through Hagerty!
I can clarify. We have two cars and two drivers. They require that to insure a classic, any given driver needs to have their own daily driver before they can insure the classic.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:54 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
... There was a problem with the castings of some of the 99 engine cases that resulted in porosity, intermix, and engine failure. The bad cases should have revealed themselves by now.
Maybe that was it.
Old 07-20-2024, 04:08 PM
FunWithPaul
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Both sides are correct (in my opinion). I'm very glad my car has the mechanical levers because I don't like worrying about that stuff. On the other hand, it's a pain to open the door, pull the lever, go back to the front of the car, to put stuff in. Even when you are sitting in the car and opening the frunk for someone else, you have to open the driver door slightly to pull the lever (I assume that was done for safety to prevent accidental pulls while driving).

Still, I would take mechanical reliability over remote convenience for sure.

My 03 C4S has "emergency cables" that open both the frunk and engine lid. The problem is that they were inaccessable with the respective lid closed. I modified each of them so they can be accesed with the lid closed.
Although I don't know why you would need that option for the rear lid, unless the solonoid (or switch/wiring?) failed.

Paul

Last edited by FunWithPaul; 07-20-2024 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2024, 08:42 PM
MBH911
Pro

Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by kecho
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but when I did a search I found ZERO info as to the difference of MK1 and MK2.

What is the difference?
What years/models did MK1 start and end.
What years/models did MK2 start and end.

That the heck is MK anyway??

Please make is simple for this meager village idiot.

thanks in advance.
I’m on my third MKI. Love these cars so much that each time I sold one and tried something different for a while I ended up buying another.

Just want to correct something that was said by others. Porsche was still using five chains and a dual row IMS as late as October of 2000 when they built my current 2001 996.1. Also, my 2001 has the electronic frunk and rear lid release buttons rather than cables.

As much as I have appreciated test drives in 996.2s and can tell the difference from the 996.1s, I have never cared for the headlights, and I worry about the higher likelihood of bore scoring. To me the .1 is the perfect Porsche. That is, until I can one day afford a 997.2. 🤓
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (Yesterday)
Old 07-20-2024, 08:50 PM
MBH911
Pro

Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraige
Part of the reason 99s are probably less popular and go for less money is the less refined interior. Some of the materials are more crummy looking, mainly all the black plastic parts that are more of a pebbly gray appearance. Headlights and taillights with amber elements also have a tendency to look older. All that stuff can be replaced, but costs $$ to do so. And there's a generally-held opinion on all cars that everything gets better with time, so a lot of people are probably blindly assuming a later car is better/faster/stronger/more reliable than an older car. Great news for people that would like to own a 99!
You’ve got it wrong regarding the interior materials on the 99s. They were actually superior to the 2000 and 2001 models. Porsche was using a manufacturer that year who made a highly durable “pebble” texture that was far more scratch resistant. I’ve had an early build ‘99 coupe, a ‘00 Cab, and now an ‘01 coupe. I’m speaking from years of experience with 996.1s.

Last edited by MBH911; 07-20-2024 at 08:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBH911:
allcool (Yesterday), EVOMMM (07-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Mk1 vs Mk2