Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I got my regulator from Pelicanparts and I think it's a Bosch unit ~$40
Old 07-27-2018, 02:53 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
OP: In your dash pic did you have the AC on? Reason I ask is my car pops the idle up to @850 with AC on. Yours appears to be a bit under 800. Not sure if that would be significant or not. Ahsai is the man...btw!
Same on my car. And since RPMs go up, so does oil pressure.

The other thing to note is that my oil pressure gauge is sometimes off by 1/2 point at turn-on. So I sometimes get 5 bar on cold start, sometimes 5.5 bar. Same with hot pressure (1.0 bar or 1.5 bar) at idle.

Even my speedo is off by 2.5 mph
Old 07-27-2018, 03:04 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 767 Posts

I view the oil pressure sending unit as kind of a "go" or "no go" type of thing. Currently mine pegs at 5 all the time, so it needs changing. I really don't think they are calibrated by any stretch of the imagination. My speedo is off by 4 mph consistently, but I mostly drive by RPM anyway.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:56 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
I got my regulator from Pelicanparts and I think it's a Bosch unit ~$40
that's what I am thinking.

also looks like one is at the battery (sunset) and the other at alternator (pelican).

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

Same on my car. And since RPMs go up, so does oil pressure.

The other thing to note is that my oil pressure gauge is sometimes off by 1/2 point at turn-on. So I sometimes get 5 bar on cold start, sometimes 5.5 bar. Same with hot pressure (1.0 bar or 1.5 bar) at idle.

Even my speedo is off by 2.5 mph
i don't take them as 100% accurate, but the gauges have to be somewhat close, right?

Old 07-27-2018, 03:59 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

I have an OBDII attachment, going to check and see if it gives me real time numbers this morning
so apparently when I bought the OBD tool last year, it is just a code reader in essence.

wouldn't give me real time info.

but the coolant didn't seem to get as high today, needle sitting in middle of or edge of the 0 in 180. Previously was pushing the 3/4 mark.

Last edited by ThatSalesGuy; 07-27-2018 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-27-2018, 04:06 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ThatSalesGuy
Got home and checked the voltage and was 13.1 at idle. Dropped to 13 when the fans kicked on.

Had it tested and the voltage regulator shows bad
So I assume you probed the back of the alternator and got lower than expected reading?
BTW, if it's truly the alternator, another option is to use the 997 alternator ($~270) Bosch AL0815N, which is a brand new and not a reman'ed unit.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:07 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

so apparently when I thought the OBD took last year, it is just a code reader in essence.

wouldn't give me real time info.

but the coolant didn't seem to get as high today, needle sitting in middle of or edge of the 0 in 180. Previously was pushing the 3/4 mark.
If you have an Android phone, you can buy a $10 Bluetooth OBDII dongle and paired that with the "Torque Pro" app.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:18 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 135 Posts

If you have an Android phone, you can buy a $10 Bluetooth OBDII dongle and paired that with the "Torque Pro" app.
there is also an inexpensive WiFi version that works with iOS devices. I use one with my iPad and the “OBD fusion” app. Works great!
Old 07-27-2018, 06:04 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

So I assume you probed the back of the alternator and got lower than expected reading?
BTW, if it's truly the alternator, another option is to use the 997 alternator ($~270) Bosch AL0815N, which is a brand new and not a reman'ed unit.
i checked the voltage at the battery at that point. when it was reading lower than it should, i took it to have the battery, alternator tested and that came up with a Voltage Regulator failure.

i will have to look into this.

i purchased this one previously for another car. doesn't look like it will do anything in detail with the Porsche. i wonder if it will connect via another app...
Old 07-27-2018, 07:21 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,113 Posts

i checked the voltage at the battery at that point. when it was reading lower than it should, i took it to have the battery, alternator tested and that came up with a Voltage Regulator failure.

i will have to look into this.

i purchased this one previously for another car. doesn't look like it will do anything in detail with the Porsche. i wonder if it will connect via another app...
I have an iPhone and bought this one:

Car Bluetooth OBD2 Code Readers, TONWON OBDII Bluetooth Scan Tool ELM327 Car Diagn... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XTP3HDG/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_tR5wBbF5C6CA4

Shows the same temp reading as Durametric, except only Durametric can pull oil temps.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:36 AM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Installed the new voltage regulator. So far, the voltage is back up. Will see tomorrow how the oil pressure and coolant temps respond.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:54 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It really is advisable to remove the front bumper and split the 4 x rads to clean out the debris. You will be amazed at the amount of crap that forces itself between the A/C condenser and coolant rads…...
There's plenty of "how to's " describing the job - very worth while after 100k miles!
Old 07-29-2018, 02:32 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stephen Tinker
It really is advisable to remove the front bumper and split the 4 x rads to clean out the debris. You will be amazed at the amount of crap that forces itself between the A/C condenser and coolant rads…...
There's plenty of "how to's " describing the job - very worth while after 100k miles!
Its on the list of to do's. Got a busy week and working next weekend, so hopefully after that.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:42 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

I have an iPhone and bought this one:

Car Bluetooth OBD2 Code Readers, TONWON OBDII Bluetooth Scan Tool ELM327 Car Diagn... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XTP3HDG/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_tR5wBbF5C6CA4

Shows the same temp reading as Durametric, except only Durametric can pull oil temps.
Originally Posted by Coopduc

there is also an inexpensive WiFi version that works with iOS devices. I use one with my iPad and the “OBD fusion” app. Works great!
What are you able to read with your apps?
Old 07-30-2018, 09:00 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Tinker
I wouldn’t wait for 100k miles.

Quick Reply: Normal operating levels