What do you feed your 996?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 07:17 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Question What do you feed your 996?

Some of the Exxon stations around here have been changing over to Mobil, and I got to thinking... are their fuels one and the same? Same parent company, yes, but same refineries?

I usually use Exxon 93 supreme, but reputation for quality and brand recognition are the only 2 good reasons I could come up with. Go Valdez!

What do you use and why? Any CHEMICAL ENGINEERS out there with some scientific explanation as to why I should choose one fuel over the other?

We've all done it. You're on fumes and just pass that Citgo like it didn't even exist!

Bill, where ya at? No flames from the Royal Dutch supporters, please... hahaha
Old 01-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Mobil 93 (R+m)/2 method, and blondes

Last edited by Riad; 01-10-2004 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Powered by saurkraut.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:59 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corners, more corners, and straights

It seems to thrive on this diet, along with full throttle sprints. Cities make it listless and sulky. Interstates make it restless and resentful.

Top trainers recommend this diet, with an occasional quart of 0W40 as a supplement.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:54 AM
safetywork
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Cheveron (because its the cheapest $/gallon) around my home. If I'm near work, I use the local Unocal (because that's the cheapest fuel nearby).

However I have noticed that I seem to get more mpg on the Unocal gas vs. the Cheveron.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:54 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I read somewhere in a post, or Excellence, or Pano, that it's a good idea to use different manufactures every couple of fill-ups....the theory being that the buildup from one fuel recipe additives over time can be neutralized by a different manufacturer's recipe. IOW the different formulations have a beneficial effect. (93+oct/and no ethanol, of course)
Old 01-11-2004, 03:12 AM
rrys
Advanced

Having worked on Gasoline and Diesel Blending systems at several different refineries in the US, CA, and Europe, I can basically say that Gasoline is a complicated product and is changing a lot as we speak. Fuel is different in various US zones based on the measured air quality. I.e. Los Angeles has special RFG (Reformulated) where rural areas can still sell conventional gas. Most zones get different volatility fuel in Summer, Winter, and Spring/Fall. Engine design (compression ratio for example) and fuel design are evolving together to meet demand for cleaner air (CO, NOx, unburned HC and many other pollutants) and the demand for more power and economy. In Jan 2004, for example you should be seeing big Sulfur reductions. High Sulfur in the US was thought to be the main reason for the Nikosil engine failures at BMW in the mid 90's. Remember the carbon build up issues on intake valves a few years ago, I think that new additives and modified engines solved that one. Your engine has become a chemical reactor with a sophisticated reactor control system needed to meet emissions qualifications. Nearly all of the RFG fuel contains the controversial MTBE (15% of RFG fuel) and several states are phasing it out with the result that alcohols (Ethanol, Methanol, Isopropanol) or ethers are taking it's place.

Some of the important issues for Porsche owners are:
1 Gasoline over 6 months old is junk, especially without added fuel stabilizer
2 Gasoline Octane can be important for perfomance as the latest Motronic FI will detune the engine if Octane is too low.
3 Once minimum Octane is achieved higher Octane does not help performance or fuel economy. Regular fuel has the same energy per gallon as premium. But so called convential fuels have a few percent more energy content per gallon than RFG fuels. High Octane fuel merely resists combustion by compression. Higher Octane is achieved by using slightly more expensive components like so called Alylate and Reformate named after refinery processes.
4 Some refiners make fuel that exceeds the rated (pump) Octane (can be highly variable i.e. batch dependent).
5 Additives are important especially to preserve the fuel and to prevent corrosion on cars used infrequently
6 Racing fuels can improve power but remember that engines were designed for a particular fuel. A Formula 1 engine is designed together with the allowable fuel. I don't have much experience with racing fuel, but would strongly suggest you don't try to mix your own.
7 As far as brands go, I think that most of the majors like Exxon/Mobil, Shell, Chevron etc. will make a very consistent and precise gasoline with good additives, it's hard to tell who is best this week. There is a lot of fuel swapping in the distribution system but usually additives will stay brand specific. Watch out for water in the gas especially at the onset of Winter or during cold snaps, and avoid filling up when the delivery truck is re-filling the station.

For further reading try:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part1/
Old 01-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I noticed the Mobil station near mean states the gas "Now contains Ethanol" I was wondering about that.

Thanks for the post!
Old 01-11-2004, 09:46 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Great post rrys

One question: 95 or 98 oct on a 996? (european octane units that it)
I always used 98 octane but often wondered if there is a difference in real life as to performace, milage, engine life....
Old 01-11-2004, 09:49 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Sloth