Sponsored by:

PPI before selling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 04:46 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,767 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Wilson
I totally expect she will need a few things. Those will either be repaired or disclosed and I'll adjust the price accordingly.

Bad luck on the BMW. How did that work out?
He elected to replace all coils and plugs. I did have a cylinder 1 coil failure on the car the year before, but after a bit a research, I decided to only replace the 1 coil, leaving the other 5 as-is. I’m just not the type of guy who likes to proactively repace items in case they fail, but after reading and asking around, perhaps I should have based on the fact he had another failure of a different coil. His mechanic charged him $600 to replace cylinder coil 4 and spark plug 4, but the actual issue turned out to be coil 5, so they did both. The coil is very easy to replace, actually, requiring zero tools once you take the plastic cover off. So it seems that coils on this car are huge profit items for shops. I was quoted $900 by Pep Boys to repace all 6 coils and plugs. Probably would have taken me 45 mins to 60 mins to do the work myself.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:26 AM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

He elected to replace all coils and plugs. I did have a cylinder 1 coil failure on the car the year before, but after a bit a research, I decided to only replace the 1 coil, leaving the other 5 as-is. I’m just not the type of guy who likes to proactively repace items in case they fail, but after reading and asking around, perhaps I should have based on the fact he had another failure of a different coil. His mechanic charged him $600 to replace cylinder coil 4 and spark plug 4, but the actual issue turned out to be coil 5, so they did both. The coil is very easy to replace, actually, requiring zero tools once you take the plastic cover off. So it seems that coils on this car are huge profit items for shops. I was quoted $900 by Pep Boys to repace all 6 coils and plugs. Probably would have taken me 45 mins to 60 mins to do the work myself.
Ouch - $600 is highway robbery!
Old 07-14-2018, 03:00 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

PPI came back with a few things. Ill feel very good about listing it after the repairs. Likely won't get my money back, but I won't have any concerns about it.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:29 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

Late to the party here, but why would you go to Pep Boys to do anything to a 996 besides add windshield wiper fluid?
Old 07-14-2018, 10:03 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,767 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Late to the party here, but why would you go to Pep Boys to do anything to a 996 besides add windshield wiper fluid?
It was for a BMW X3, not a 996. I’ve never had anything other than diagnostics done at Pep Boys. They used to do free diagnostics but have raised prices over the years for even a simple diag.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:01 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,323 Posts

Let me know when you list it.
I often have people ask me about 996 costs and whether I know of any good deals.
I might just be able to steer someone your way.
I'm not that far away down here in the Houston area.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:28 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Thanks!

Quick Reply: PPI before selling?