Sponsored by:

Mice Like Porsches Too

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Thegman
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Mice Like Porsches Too

Inasmuch as I live in the great white north, my 996 sits from "first salt" till Spring rains wash the salt away. I cleaned it, covered it and put the battery maintainer on it. It is parked in a closed garage.

I uncovered it today to do some minor work in the engine compartment and observed mouse crap in the corners of the engine compartment. This scares the ..... out of me because I don't want the wires chewed.

My first move was to put all the bird food in the garage in a sealed container with a lid that I can barely open... I put D-Con mouse traps down and hopefully the little rodents will overeat and die. Now I want to make sure that I protect the car from any possible problems.

Anybody have any sure fire solutions to keep them away? Protect my baby?
Old 01-10-2004, 03:50 PM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

spray poisoned food all around the car... and beware, my granpa tought me never to touch the poisoned food with bear hands, not in fear of getting poisoned, but because the buggers are so smart they smell your flesh on the food and realize it's a trap..

otherwise, a lot of cheese leading to mice traps?!

Nerve gas???

Ok, good night!

Waz (Mighty-Mouse fan)
996 C2 99
Old 01-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Davidmichael
Racer

Be sure and cover the tail pipe tip openings. They can nest inside the exhaust manifold and ruin the engine
Old 01-10-2004, 04:15 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

Moth *****, or cyanne (sp?) pepper they don't like the smell.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:13 PM
JoeW
Pro

I'm an expert at this, having kept all sorts of garage queens over the years. First of all, they don't like 'dry' so get some dessicant if you can, especially for the interior of the car where they'll find the upholstery and the dash area quite cozy. I've always used mothballs -- cookie tins, whatever, left open with a layer of mothballs across the bottom so the stink fills the car, one on the floor in the front & one on the floor in the back, and two with the engine (one on each side, one high one low), and one in the bonnet area.

Keep all these areas open a crack, btw. Good for the seals and good to let some of the air freshen itself.

I've always used D-Con, too, a few feet away from the car. The only downside of it is that they think the stuff is grain and will hoard it if they're not hungry, which means finding a small, dark opening and stashing as much as they can carry. If it's your car, it can be a mess, but easily repaired in the spring with a vacuum. This is why I try to keep it a few feet away, along the walls say, where they'll find other dark nooks and crannies.

There will be some, however, who won't stay away no matter what. These are easily recognized. They're the ones in the little helmets, driving gloves and Pilotis. Good luck!

By the way, where you see one, there are a dozen. Get goin'! J
Old 01-10-2004, 06:57 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In addition to sealing any openings, I place moth ***** in a tin try inside the engine area, under the car, and in the trunk. I also set some baited mouse traps in the garage. Inside the car, I place fabric softner cloths.

If you found what you think indicated a mouse got into your car, I would be concerned that it found a nesting area. I would start and drive the car, and than remove your bird feed, and start d-con and moth *****.

Unfortunately this is not too unusual for stored cars.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:40 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Re: Mice Like Porsches Too

Originally posted by Thegman
Inasmuch as I live in the great white north, my 996 sits from "first salt" till Spring rains wash the salt away. I cleaned it, covered it and put the battery maintainer on it. It is parked in a closed garage.

I uncovered it today to do some minor work in the engine compartment and observed mouse crap in the corners of the engine compartment. This scares the ..... out of me because I don't want the wires chewed.

My first move was to put all the bird food in the garage in a sealed container with a lid that I can barely open... I put D-Con mouse traps down and hopefully the little rodents will overeat and die. Now I want to make sure that I protect the car from any possible problems.

Anybody have any sure fire solutions to keep them away? Protect my baby?
I've had good luck using regular mice traps with just a dab of peanut butter. I caught 3 in my attic that way. Make sure you place some of them along the wall. They tend to take that sort of route, at least that's what a pest guy told me.

Charlie

Charlie
Old 01-11-2004, 07:42 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

I use a product called "JI's mouse deodorizer". Boat dealer friend of mine who stores boats throughh the winter swears by this stuff.

Put it in the engine bay and inside the car. I have never had a problem thus far...
Old 01-11-2004, 09:28 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

The service rep at the dealership showed me a cabin air filter from a 996 loaded with nesting material and hair. That's one more place you can check at the end of the storage period.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:18 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

get some snow tires and drive your 996! it's depreciating anyway--might as well enjoy it! spring is just too far away!!
Old 01-11-2004, 06:11 PM
LanceK
Pro

I heard a while back from a classic car guy that putting mint leaves throughout the car keeps them away.

Apparently they hate the smell.

AND your car will probably smell better with mint than mothballs!

*I haven't tried this myself but maybe you could go to the local pet store and drop some in the mouse tank and watch what happens.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:35 PM
pete01_996
Instructor

Originally posted by Nacelle
I use a product called "JI's mouse deodorizer". Boat dealer friend of mine who stores boats throughh the winter swears by this stuff.

Put it in the engine bay and inside the car. I have never had a problem thus far...
Does this stuff smell?

I HATE the smell of moth *****, I don't know how anyone can bear to use them in their car. I would think the car is ruined forever.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally posted by pete01_996
Does this stuff smell?

I HATE the smell of moth *****, I don't know how anyone can bear to use them in their car. I would think the car is ruined forever.
Since you're concerned with the smell, I wonder if those electronic "Pest Repellers" work. If they do that might be the best solution.

Has anyone used one?

I did a quick Google search and came up with this:
http://ultimatepestrepeller.com/

Looks interesting.

Charlie
Old 01-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

pete01_996

Has a slight sweet scent not overwhelming or overpowering. Dissipates quickly when airing out.

"Instructions: place four boxes about the area to be deodorized, making sure you put at least one of the four boxes where the nest was originally located. replace every six months or more often if necessary. Before you store your tractor, combine, boat, RV, etc., use for clean fresh results".

They forgot to say Porsche...
Old 01-12-2004, 11:52 AM
NiveK
Racer

you know i see a bunch of bad disasters waiting to happen by using poison, what if one eats this poison and dies while in the car or even around it and rotts, your car would be ruined forever

Quick Reply: Mice Like Porsches Too