Sponsored by:

What is the Center Radiator Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 10:52 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts
Default What is the Center Radiator Capacity

Searched, but could not find the answer. Does anyone know how much additional coolant is required when you add the center radiator? I know how much came out when I installed it, but no idea how much needs to go back in. Just trying to get a rough idea of how much I need in the bucket for the air lift.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:10 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

While I don’t have a solid answer for, it shouldn’t be difficult to figure out if you’ve got the parts (radiator and connecting hoses) on hand. Fill them up with water then dump them into an empty container to figure out how much they hold... I didn’t do this when I did mine, but I would guess that it’s no more than an extra quart or so...
Old 06-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 623 Posts

I have a brand new center radiator sitting on my workbench waiting to go onto my car. I can fill it with water tonight and drain it into a measuring can and let you know. I agree with Dporto it's probably not more than 1-2 quarts.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:46 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
While I don’t have a solid answer for, it shouldn’t be difficult to figure out if you’ve got the parts (radiator and connecting hoses) on hand. Fill them up with water then dump them into an empty container to figure out how much they hold... I didn’t do this when I did mine, but I would guess that it’s no more than an extra quart or so...
This would have bee the smart thing to do BEFORE I installed everything. If it's just an extra quart or two, I should be fine if I add the same amount that I took out, plus an extra gallon to be safe.
Anyone have any issues with using the air lift for such a small amount? I assume there should not be an issue.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:31 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Complete drain and vac fill for my 3 radiator system is 6 gallons of coolant!
Hopefully this is helpful to you?!
Old 06-07-2018, 05:40 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I have a brand new center radiator sitting on my workbench waiting to go onto my car. I can fill it with water tonight and drain it into a measuring can and let you know. I agree with Dporto it's probably not more than 1-2 quarts.
make sure you do the hoses too
Old 06-07-2018, 10:45 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

The air lift system does a crapy job on a half filled system. I have used it hundreds of times, and it works best on a near completely empty system.

Using it on a system with too much residual coolant will result in air pockets, due to not being able to achieve a high enough vacuum area in the system.

If you think about it , it makes perfect since. A large vacuum area can draw in a large amount of coolant, and a small vacuum area (even with extremely high vacuum) can only draw in a small amount of coolant.

Also the cooling system has 27 rubber hoses, and a lot of those hoses will collapse when under vacuum of the air lift. The coolant in those hoses will be displaced and if the system has too much residual coolant is left in the system, it will be drawn in the air lift effecting the ability to create a vacuum..

Drain all the coolant you can from the system, then the air lift will work great !!!!

Last edited by Porschetech3; 06-07-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:51 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
The air lift system does a crapy job on a half filled system. I have used it hundreds of times, and it works best on a near completely empty system.

Using it on a system with too much residual coolant will result in air pockets, due to not being able to achieve a high enough vacuum area in the system.

If you think about it , it makes perfect since. A large vacuum area can draw in a large amount of coolant, and a small vacuum area (even with extremely high vacuum) can only draw in a small amount of coolant.

Also the cooling system has 27 rubber hoses, and a lot of those hoses will collapse when under vacuum of the air lift. The coolant in those hoses will be displaced and if the system has too much residual coolant is left in the system, it will be drawn in the air lift effecting the ability to create a vacuum..

Drain all the coolant you can from the system, then the air lift will work great !!!!
Thanks! So, what is the best procedure to get the air out of a car that is only missing a gallon of coolant? I actually think it is possible I never got all of the air out when I replaced my engine last year (heat never got super hot) using the Air Lift, and your description makes perfect sense (which is why I asked).

Does jacking the back of the car up help when filling?
Old 06-08-2018, 09:59 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Just use the "burp valve" and keep filling/topping off the reservoir - it may take a while but eventually it'll be totally full and stable...ask me how I know
Old 06-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 623 Posts

While it might be a moot point now out of curiosity I did fill mine with water and the capacity is approximately 1/2 liter or 1 pint. This does not include any hose volume, just the center radiator itself.

I do agree with the above...Airlift will not work well on a system that is not empty or nearly empty.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:41 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
While it might be a moot point now out of curiosity I did fill mine with water and the capacity is approximately 1/2 liter or 1 pint. This does not include any hose volume, just the center radiator itself.

I do agree with the above...Airlift will not work well on a system that is not empty or nearly empty.
^^ Seems about right... add the hoses and you've got about a quart or maybe a little more. After I did all my engine work (I drained/saved about 2.5 - 3 gallons of coolant - and probably lost a half gallon that leaked out of the lines/hoses over time) it took me about 5 or 6 drives - topping off before each one to get the system totally stable. It only took 4-6 oz. to top off the reservoir each time I did it, and the car never got "hot" (no lights, needle never got past the left side of the 0 in 180) while driving. ** All this being said, it'd obviously be a good idea to get this all worked out before taking it to the track.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
^^ Seems about right... add the hoses and you've got about a quart or maybe a little more. After I did all my engine work (I drained/saved about 2.5 - 3 gallons of coolant - and probably lost a half gallon that leaked out of the lines/hoses over time) it took me about 5 or 6 drives - topping off before each one to get the system totally stable. It only took 4-6 oz. to top off the reservoir each time I did it, and the car never got "hot" (no lights, needle never got past the left side of the 0 in 180) while driving. ** All this being said, it'd obviously be a good idea to get this all worked out before taking it to the track.
Yeah. Two weeks before the next track day, so "should" be okay. And if I get done today, my wife gets her garage space back, which will make her happy. Stupid house with only two garages.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:24 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

My garage is a few miles away from my house...
Old 06-08-2018, 07:05 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Okay, just filled everything back up. And the answer is 3 quarts. The 3 quarts includes everything that came out of the system during the install and filling the new radiator and hoses. Now, it is possible I had some air in the system from the engine install, because for the first time in a while, I have hot heat again.

Quick Reply: What is the Center Radiator Capacity