Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche 996 Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018 | 02:43 PM
Thibaulb24
Intermediate

Finally found some time to start fiddling with the Porsche again. I got an obd2 reader and pulled the following fault codes, p0420, p0159, p0136, and p2096. The p0420 code goes on and off, most likely because of 200 cell cats. The lean code is the one that makes me nervous.

What should my my long term and short term fuel trim levels be? What else can I look at with the obd to start pinpointing the cause?
Old 06-13-2018 | 03:20 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Wow! All of those codes are related to the O2 sensors and feedback from the O2 sensors. Google is your friend on this one. What type of 200 cell cats did you put on? Do you have O2 sensor extenders? Did you replace the O2 sensors? I would be worried about a lean running condition as well. Something is not right. Is your MAF clean? Vacuum leak somewhere? Intake leak?
Old 06-13-2018 | 03:53 PM
Thibaulb24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Wow! All of those codes are related to the O2 sensors and feedback from the O2 sensors. Google is your friend on this one. What type of 200 cell cats did you put on? Do you have O2 sensor extenders? Did you replace the O2 sensors? I would be worried about a lean running condition as well. Something is not right. Is your MAF clean? Vacuum leak somewhere? Intake leak?
top gear cats, no extenders, as far as I know it’s the original o2 sensors. I’m going to pick up some maf cleaner on my way home today.
Old 02-13-2024 | 01:00 PM
Peter Tihanxi
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Is one tailpipe sootier than the other? Any oil consumption? Those are typically the tell tail signs. Does the sound get a bit louder when above idle, say 2500 rpm, or does it get quieter?
Ours has a bit black tailpipe on the left, with a bit of noticeable oil consumption. No noise whatsoever, A bit of smoke from both tailpipes, but it disappears. Could it have a bad aos? We pulled the intake plennum and there was oil sitting in bank 2( right side of the engine, left exhaust )
Old 02-13-2024 | 01:13 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter Tihanxi
Ours has a bit black tailpipe on the left, with a bit of noticeable oil consumption. No noise whatsoever, A bit of smoke from both tailpipes, but it disappears. Could it have a bad aos? We pulled the intake plennum and there was oil sitting in bank 2( right side of the engine, left exhaust )
I would recommend scoping the bores. I'd lean towards it having bore scoring, but it certainly could be a bad AOS (or both). You could do a manometer test to check to see if it's within the spec of 4-6" of h2o column.
Old 02-13-2024 | 03:19 PM
Peter Tihanxi
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
I would recommend scoping the bores. I'd lean towards it having bore scoring, but it certainly could be a bad AOS (or both). You could do a manometer test to check to see if it's within the spec of 4-6" of h2o column.
We ordered new aos, will scope it! I really hope its aos, because we just bought it and the old owner got told its aos when IMS was replaced. The car is immaculate, it was 28k euros with 170k km. We cant afford an engine rebuild

Quick Reply: Porsche 996 Ticking Noise