Sponsored by:

Function-First engine mount install

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 01:17 AM
Flatsix
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Function-First engine mount install

I finally got some time to install these. In my excitement I did not take a picture of the new ones, but they can be see at Function-First.com I did take a picture of the ones that came out. I expected them to be worn out but these are as bad as I've ever seen. Most notable symptom for me was engine vibration that got much worse with the A/C on. After install I can't believe I lived so long with out good mounts. Car just drives so much better, even shifting has improved. I guess the engine was sagging pretty good as well as being a little loose back there. I must have just slowly got use to the poor dynamics of worn mounts this is a good maintenance/upgrade I wish I had done a lot sooner.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:47 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 572 Posts

Just did the RSS mounts on mine and have the same story of improvements.

A very simple job to do.

Your old ones look about the same as mine did.

Enjoy!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:47 AM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine looked like yours. Is a big improvement. Went with RSS and the sport bushings. You might also check your trans mount. Mine was worn out. If you get a shudder when you are backing up, it's probably bad.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:59 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

I have a set of OEM mounts on hand and will install them when I get a chance. I'm not aware of any symptoms but I figure they're 18 years old and I'm sure it's not just mileage that wears on them. I'm curious as to how many miles were on yours.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:04 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 757 Posts

I recently replaced my motor mounts with OEM. Got 142K out the old ones so I figured what the heck. Definitely needed new ones and the car drives/feels better. I put this off waaaay too long...
Old 04-25-2018, 07:14 PM
Flatsix
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
I have a set of OEM mounts on hand and will install them when I get a chance. I'm not aware of any symptoms but I figure they're 18 years old and I'm sure it's not just mileage that wears on them. I'm curious as to how many miles were on yours.
My car has 133K on it I bought my car used so I suppose I really didn't know any different on how it drove. If you have more than say 60K miles I'd say replace them.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:55 PM
shft22
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

So question to you guys, as I see how much elongated these mounts are, would the engine sit that much higher with the new mounts. Reason I ask, my new to me 02 engine sits very low in relation to the ground. My car is lowered but still I can see a lot of the engine from the back.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:09 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Yes, the elogation of the motor mount rubber portion corresponds to a mm for mm drop in the rear of the engine .
Old 08-11-2018, 06:22 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
I recently replaced my motor mounts with OEM. Got 142K out the old ones so I figured what the heck. Definitely needed new ones and the car drives/feels better. I put this off waaaay too long...
Dang, those look almost as bad as mine. 130K on the original mounts caused horrible vibration, sloppy shifting, engine movement you could literally feel when shifting, and hard to engage in reverse. All gone! A very easy DIY. Make sure you have 2 lifts. First jack up under the oil pan slightly. On the passenger side, you can use the second lift to lift up on the side corner area with a circle. On the driver side, I just lifted up on the exhaust headers.

Quick Reply: Function-First engine mount install