Sponsored by:

Replace flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 07:30 PM
wthensler
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Replace flywheel

My ‘99 996 is going in the shop next week for IMS, RMS, and most likely clutch. I’m the original owner, and the car has only 63,000 miles. No clutch problems, but since the mechanic will be in there, it seems to make sense to replace it. Note that I’ve driven sticks in all the sports cars I’ve owned, and can generally manage over 200k miles without problem. Also, fwiw, the car doesn’t have any discernible oil leaks.

Where I’m struggling is the dual flywheel. It’s apparently an expensive part, and of course I’d do it in a heartbeat if there are any signs of wear.

Just wondering what most folks in my position have opted to do. I’ll probably keep the car, even though I have a new Cabriolet S on order.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:36 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

LUK DMF available from partsgeek at around $400 shipped with "save15" coupon code. I would replace it due to age.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:02 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I take it you think the clutch should be replaced because it might have collected oil from the RMS? Or are you just going to replace due to age and “you’re already in there” and due to its age?
Old 04-22-2018, 10:11 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

What Ahsai said. Don’t forget new bolts for the flywheel and pressure plate. Cheap insurance to replace it while you’re in there, if your paying for the labor.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:14 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

The flywheel can be checked for wear, if treated well can last over 200k I've heard. Do some search on here. Mine was good at 102k miles so I lightly sanded it to deglaze it and put a new clutch kit on, all is good.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:16 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

If youre getting it done at a shop i.e. youre not doing the work its worth replacing the flywheel but only if its not well within spec.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:41 AM
wthensler
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Replacement of clutch is because I’m in there, and flywheeel would be age based. I’d be shocked if much in the way of wear is found at 63k miles, no oil csn be seen as best as I can tell.

There is a video on YouTube that shows how to check for wear.

Why are LUK and Sachs flywheels so much cheaper than some of the others that come up? If I end up replacing the flywheel, I don’t want to go with cheaper parts.

And yes I’ll replace the bolts. And no, I’m not doing the work.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:56 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Luk and Sachs are original equipment. Put them in a Porsche labeled box and you get the same product for twice the price or more.

My opinion is that the cost of the flywheel is low enough that it is worth replacing if you have any question. While there is a test to see if it has failed, there isn’t a test to see how much life is left. I believe the rubber spring bits that join the two parts are the thing that fails, and they have a useful life.

Your new clutch is going to live many tens of thousands of miles or more. If the flywheel goes south before your next clutch job or transmission drop for your your next RMS replacement, the cost of labor to drop the transmission is the key factor.

You are trading off the cost of a flywheel now for the cost of labor plus a flywheel on the future transmission drop. That future cost will be transmission R&R labor plus the replacement flywheel. Basically you pay for labor twice if you defer the replacement.

This makes it a good preventative option in my book.

All bets are off if you do your own work and labor is free. Or if the money is not an issue. You may be better off waiting in those scenarios.

Quick Reply: Replace flywheel