Sponsored by:

Will tips fit (yes car related)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Will tips fit (yes car related)

So I got my fister style modded spare mufflers back from the shop and they look great. Going to blast them clean and paint them with high temp silver paint this weekend; my question is on the exhaust tips, my 2000 model has the older style smaller tips, the mufflers have these bigger 4S style muffler tips.

I did a quick check and it *looks* like they will fit, however I did some googling/searching and it looks like 996.2 cars have a little metal piece like a heat shield on the inside edge of the bumper cutaway where the tips sit, perhaps as the bigger tips get closer to the plastic too much heat can be transferred and melt the bump in that spot.

Am I ok to run these tips? anyone else done this? I seriously do not want to damage/melt my bumper, I'm going through the process of fixing my front one and the parts are expensive, I'd hate to have to fix the rear bumper too.

Pics attached of stock small tip and new larger one.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:56 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Here is the 4S and you can see some kind of extra part against the bumper where the muffler tip goes through
Old 04-20-2018, 04:53 PM
Espo78
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an exact answer to your question, but I can tell from the 2 pictures provides that the bumper cutouts are different shapes. Yours curves in on the outer edge while the C4S curves out following the lines on the exhaust tip. I'd tread lightly here. If I had to guess, I'd say it won't fit.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:44 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Espo78
I don't have an exact answer to your question, but I can tell from the 2 pictures provides that the bumper cutouts are different shapes. Yours curves in on the outer edge while the C4S curves out following the lines on the exhaust tip. I'd tread lightly here. If I had to guess, I'd say it won't fit.
Yeah you're right about the shapes, I did some more googling about exhaust tip clearance and about 1/4" seems the minimum, also the newer tips are like double walled, so the outside of the tip might not get that hot. I think I'll perhaps experiment a little, I can check with an IR temp gun
Old 04-20-2018, 07:52 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Your observations seem correct. There is definitely a metallic strip above the exhaust pipes in the bumper cover on my 2005 4S. Have never jumped out after a drive and grabbed the pipes, but my guess they are WARM. Bumper cover is expensive to replace. Thread lightly.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:08 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Your observations seem correct. There is definitely a metallic strip above the exhaust pipes in the bumper cover on my 2005 4S. Have never jumped out after a drive and grabbed the pipes, but my guess they are WARM. Bumper cover is expensive to replace. Thread lightly.
Got it, it would be awesome if someone could see how hot the outside of the tips get after a drive, I mean the 4S style ones...
Old 04-20-2018, 08:55 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

The bumper on the MK1 versus the MK2 are different. The MK2 tips will fit but they will stick out to far looking like stove pipes.Plus the tip holes on the MK1 bumper are more rounded versus oblong.

Quick Reply: Will tips fit (yes car related)