996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

what's wrong with my passenger window?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 03:02 AM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's wrong with my passenger window?

When I open the door (from the inside, or outside), the window comes down like its supposed to. However, the very top tip of it when actually pulling/pushing the door open, gets caught with the 2nd back seat window, as if not only did the window move down like it should have but it also moved 2mm backwards. Window operates normally otherwise.

what's the issue? It just randomly started happening.

Also, my door latch problem I had a while back where the door handle wouldnt open the door resolved suddenly; how did that happen if the latch was broken? It would not resolve on its own?
Old 04-20-2018, 03:16 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 939 Likes on 566 Posts

When you have your door open; push down on the top of your window and see if it drops a little bit. If you are able to push it down a bit - you need a new regulator. I had this exact issue where the window was barely dropping, maybe only 1 or 2 mm, and the edge of the door glass was catching on the passenger glass. Since you said it just started - I suspect your cables are beginning to stretch or weaken like mine did. Good news - if this is indeed the case - replacing the regulator is 10x easier while it still works than waiting for it to "officially" break.

My only other guess is somehow the glass moved within the brackets of the regulator, but that is only possible if someone didn't tighten them enough during a regulator replacement. Those suckers are tight from the factory.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:50 AM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

There is 2 access holes on the bottom of the door for adjustments. IIRC its 8mm bolts for the window adjustments though those access holes. Like Dr. S said either the cables stretched or it might have have just got loose from vibration and just needs adjustment.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:42 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

The window is held to the regulator by two clamps. One or both may have loosened. If that is the case there are two access holes at the TOP of the door that line up with the clamp screws when the window is up. You have to remove the door card to see them.
I have had my passengers door window clamps loosen allowing the window to move around. It got cocked slightly and was hitting the rear window (CAB) when opening and closing the door. I took the door card off, closed the door, and put the window up. That made it pretty easy to center the window and tighten the clamps. If you turn the key on, to move the window, with the airbag disconnected you will have to reset the light with a Durametric or equivalent tool. Leave the airbag in place.

The holes/clamp screws are clearly shown in this video at ~3:34 - 3:37 They might/should be covered by rubber plugs.

Rubber plugs at ~9:20 in this vid

Last edited by fpb111; 04-20-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply: what's wrong with my passenger window?