Rev Range Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 12:22 PM
Saeed
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev Range Help!!!

Hello All,
Newby here and looking to get into my first 911 after years of drooling...
So looking at a manual 2003 CS4 with 53K miles- IMS has been addressed around 20k miles ago.
The current owner "likes fast cars" and likes to keep the RPMs at min. 3.4-4k "all the time because the car just likes it better"...
A pre-purchase inspection found a few little things incl. poss cracked coil (cylinder 1 went dead when the dealer washed the car after inspection and owner recalls a similar previous episode)...
Can anyone help me decipher these rev range numbers?

R1- 21919- 1663.8h
R1-145- 1389.2h
operating time 1665.6h

Thank You All!
Old 04-11-2018, 02:40 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Try This - http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/
Old 04-11-2018, 02:57 PM
Saeed
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Phrog Phlyer
Thank You for the response
First, the second row of data I posted is supposed to be R2, not R1...

So if I am reading correctly, (and please correct me if I am totally off)... it looks like there were 145 instances of =/>7900 rpm, most recently at 1389.2 hours...
Any other thoughts?
And any guidance is appreciated since I am a total newcomer to this arena and trying not to fall into the abyss of a "money pit" 911....
Would you consider this vehicle or walk away?
Thanks again!
Old 04-11-2018, 03:08 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

If you do some searching, there was a recent thread on this topic. It was on the front page of the 996 forum a few weeks ago as I recall. The numbers were for a 997 ECU which stores 6 levels of overrev. The concept is similar for the 996 ECU which stores 2 levels.

If you do the math, 145 ignitions is less than a second at 8000 rpm. Since the total duration was short and last occurred about 300 hours ago, I would not be concerned about it.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:08 PM
Tyler H
Advanced

Range 1 = Ignition events between 7200 and 7900 rpm
  • Ignitions/3 = revolutions
  • # revolutions / 7200rpm rev limit = time (min) spent at the limiter
  • 21909/3 = 7303revs / 7200rpm limiter = 1 minute banging the rev limiter over the last 1665 engine hours.
Range 2 = Ignition events over 7900 rpm (money shift time)

The conventional wisdom is that you don't buy a car that has had a range 2 ignition event in the last 50-100 engine hours.

As a point of reference, I attached the resultes from the 2002 911 Targa with 120k miles that I just bought. I didn't do a PPI, but the car looks to have been babied.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:12 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

That's a lot of R1s for that many miles. The car has been bounced of the rev limiter as a matter of practice, not on occasion. The R2s are not good for this engine, so while it's certainly possible that nothing terrible happened that time it was over-reved (missed downshift or simply underestimating speed while downshifting), it's not a good risk/reward scenario in my amateur, unprofessional opinion.

Checked my records and I bought an 03 C2 with 71,400 miles. DME read 4297 range 1s.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:14 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

It looks like you are reading it correctly - Remember that's 145 ignitions past 7900. So 145/3 = revolutions - 48, 48 divided by 7900 = minutes past the rev limiter - .006 min., So .006 times 60 equals seconds past the rev limiter .36 sec. Can't answer your last question Only you can prevent forest fires, oops sorry got carried away. Only you can decide if .36 sec past rev range 2 is bad enough to walk away. i HOPE one of the truly smart guys chimes in with their Educated opinion (and checks my math while they are at it) public math is always a terrible thing.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
That's a lot of R1s for that many miles. The car has been bounced of the rev limiter as a matter of practice, not on occasion. The R2s are not good for this engine, so while it's certainly possible that nothing terrible happened that time it was over-reved (missed downshift or simply underestimating speed while downshifting), it's not a good risk/reward scenario in my amateur, unprofessional opinion.

Checked my records and I bought an 03 C2 with 71,400 miles. DME read 4297 range 1s.
The overrevs would not concern me as much as how the previous owner treated it. Was he an agressive driver, but conciencious owner who took good care of the car including regular oil changes, or was he the type who did donuts to impress his equally immature friends.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:30 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
The overrevs would not concern me as much as how the previous owner treated it. Was he an agressive driver, but conciencious owner who took good care of the car including regular oil changes, or was he the type who did donuts to impress his equally immature friends.
Agreed. I'm one of the 'keep revs up' drivers, but that means enjoying the torque curve at 3-4k. I've probably added some range 1s but I'd be really surprised if there are any range 2s or anywhere near 10,000 range 1s at 91,000 total miles. The OP's looking at a car with 20,000 range 1s... that's the highest I've ever seen for a sub-100k mile car. I get the sense the old owner felt it was his mission to try & break the m96, and it's better not to figure out how close he got to succeeding.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:52 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 623 Posts

3-4K? Mine only makes power from about 4-6K...where the engine was designed to live most of it's life.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Saeed
4th Gear

Default Rev Range Help!!!

THANKS ALL for the valuable comments, helpful advice and your willingness to go out of your way to help!
cheers
Old 04-11-2018, 07:14 PM
Saeed
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms

to answer Splitting A's...
I think neither,
Yes, he admitted that he drives fast but didnt appear as a "donut guy". Still, it didn't look like he took good care of it. When I went to test drive, the car was not [in my opinion] even close to what I would consider in presentable condition. It was dirty and needed a good vacuuming and going over...
Also, he converted it to Rwd but didn't bother to re-install the inside fender cover [but only on one side which was odd]... I tried to look beyond the flags because the price is pretty low but in the end, decided it was not a good fit.
looking...
Old 04-11-2018, 07:21 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Saeed
When I went to test drive, the car was not [in my opinion] even close to what I would consider in presentable condition. It was dirty and needed a good vacuuming and going over...
Also, he converted it to Rwd but didn't bother to re-install the inside fender cover [but only on one side which was odd]... I tried to look beyond the flags because the price is pretty low but in the end, decided it was not a good fit.
looking...
Good call. The revs wouldn't bother me at all; I'd rather have one that was driven than a Sunday driver. However, the condition speaks volumes. I wouldn't have got past the test drive.
Good luck in the search. Patience is your friend.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:24 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Saeed
to answer Splitting A's...
I think neither,
Yes, he admitted that he drives fast but didnt appear as a "donut guy". Still, it didn't look like he took good care of it. When I went to test drive, the car was not [in my opinion] even close to what I would consider in presentable condition. It was dirty and needed a good vacuuming and going over...
looking...
I agree...Good call. There are many others out there reasonably priced. Good luck. Keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Rev Range Help!!!