996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Moving on from PSE...need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 04:30 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I have fisters now and I honestly can't tell a difference between them and an open PSE, probably because they're fundamentally the same hardware. Still quiet cruising, no drone, etc. They're a fraction of the cost of full aftermarket system too. I currently run mine with 200 cell cats because I still wanted a bit more noise. If you're 100% going aftermarket, check out M&M's hardware. Everything Ive seen from them sounded great and is made in Germany to boot. FVD Brombacher carries them and is great to work with.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:29 AM
brixie387
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up tracing the rattle to the driver's side muffler, so I removed it and shipped it off to Fister for a $95 dollar repair. I'm sure I could have chased down a local muffler shop to do the repair but it was worth any extra cost to have an expert do it - they knocked it out in a couple days, their work is very clean, and the rattle is gone. Including round-trip cross-country shipping the total cost was about $180. Fister is highly recommended!
Old 04-21-2018, 06:54 PM
th964
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I was about to pick up an used set up of Fabspeed Maxflo mufflers and installed them myself (I used all new hardware/brackets). I love the sound... I DD my C4S and I was afraid they would be too loud but they are perfect! BTW, I removed standard mufflers that were starting to show some rust on the external seems. I am super envious of guys with the PSE! I would have gone with Fister but I got the Fabspeed's for $400 and they were slightly used!

Old 04-22-2018, 12:25 AM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by brixie387
My 2003 C2 has the factory sport exhaust. Recently it developed the dreaded exhaust rattle, and also when I activate the PSE button it no longer switches back and forth from "loud" to "quiet". My indy says my mufflers are shot and need to be replaced. I absolutely love the PSE growl, but replacement OEM mufflers are $4K. Has anybody switched from factory PSE to an aftermarket system (such as Fister D or Fabspeed) and gotten a similar exhaust note? I don't care if I lose the PSE button functionality during this process - all growl, all the time!
I'm 100% happy with the sound of my Milltek exhaust. Very reasonably priced. I had to cut and bend stuff a tiny bit to get it to fit, but after that it's been smooth sailing. Very quiet when at part-throttle so I don't annoy my neighbors, but very throaty and loud at 50% throttle or more. It's nice having an exhaust you can actually hear through a helmet on the racetrack

Quick Reply: Moving on from PSE...need advice...