996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Solid Engine and Transmission Mounts

Old 03-16-2018, 12:47 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
He has. And Charles Navarro with his same shop told me the opposite...that there is no problem with them (in reference to semi-solids). How many Boxster and 996 race cars are out there running solid mounts? A lot. I would think if it were a major issue you would hear a lot of talk about it but you don't. At all. And with that being the case w/ solids it's doubtful there is an issue w/ semi solids.
Interesting as they are usually on the same page, anyway this is a mod i've wanted to do but am hesitant
Old 03-16-2018, 01:04 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
Interesting as they are usually on the same page, anyway this is a mod i've wanted to do but am hesitant
I tried to pull up the support ticket where we had that conversation. I still have a link in my email but the ticket has expired otherwise I could cut and paste the response. He stated he runs the Wevo semi-solid mounts in his Boxster.

I can tell you that I have tracked my car with the Wevo semi solids and the FF transmission insert with absolutely no noticeable issues. I would think you could feel the engine pulling back the timing and limiting power if it were detecting knock and I have had no such sensation. I would also think if it detected it enough you'd get a CEL or limp mode eventually but not sure.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:28 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks for the details! Soon as I need new mounts ill be looking into Wevo or RSS semi solid
Old 03-16-2018, 07:50 PM
jandackson
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Ok, just because I have to every time this comes up....

You can also accomplish the same thing with a 70 durometer tube of 3M window weld. You can fill the spaces in the transmission mount with it. Then, drill a hole in the top of your engine mounts and rinse them out with rubbing alcohol. Once dry, fill them with back up with Window Weld as well. You have now accomplished the same thing for a grand total of $20. If you want to get fancy, McMaster Carr has a wider variety of "hardness" but 70 is a good middle of the road solution.
This^^^is what I am going to do. Slacker, does the alcohol rinse the fluid from the mount? I’m tempted to try this on my worn mounts with a “reverse load” on them to see if I can rejuvenate them while improving the stiffness.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:17 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by jandackson

This^^^is what I am going to do. Slacker, does the alcohol rinse the fluid from the mount? I’m tempted to try this on my worn mounts with a “reverse load” on them to see if I can rejuvenate them while improving the stiffness.
I think someone makes new inserts for the old mounts. That would be my first try if I couldn't afford new ones before resorting to experiments.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:57 AM
peteb3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put in the RSS engine mounts
They are awesome for the street and a quality product

Skip the function first transmission mount Inserts
They lead to a lot of noise and especially vibration

Trust me
Speaking from experience
Old 03-19-2018, 01:33 PM
RSSmike
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by peteb3
Put in the RSS engine mounts
They are awesome for the street and a quality product
Thanks for the mention and kind words. Glad to hear you like the RSS Engine Mounts.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:36 PM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can you get the best price for the WEVO semi-solids? I see Pelican has them for $198.75
Thank you
Old 03-19-2018, 02:52 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

I had great luck with the Function First engine mounts and Rennline transmission mounts for spirited street use. They don't introduce NVH beyond what I'd expect for a performance car.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:20 PM
peteb3
Racer

Originally Posted by RSSmike
Thanks for the mention and kind words. Glad to hear you like the RSS Engine Mounts.
All your stuff is top notch
Highest quality
Well made
I fully support it and highly recommend it
I have all your suspension bits and the engine mounts
Very happy

Good job!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:53 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jandackson
Yes. Use a syringe to flush it. I don't think a reverse load is required as it should go back to original shape without a load on it. But you'll be able to tell pretty quickly when you pull them.

Originally Posted by Marv
I think someone makes new inserts for the old mounts. That would be my first try if I couldn't afford new ones before resorting to experiments.
Not experimental. This has been done many times before on many different makes of car. Including 996's.

Originally Posted by gobs
Where can you get the best price for the WEVO semi-solids? I see Pelican has them for $198.75
Thank you
That is per mount. 2 required.

I'll second the props for RSS. Them and Tarett are my two favorite manufacturers of aftermarket racing bits. GMG is by far, hands down, my least favorite.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:57 PM
peteb3
Racer

Tarrett is top notch

Agreed
Great quality parts
Best service ever
Awesome to deal with

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Solid Engine and Transmission Mounts