996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Solid Engine and Transmission Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solid Engine and Transmission Mounts

For some reason i can not post in the classifieds....

I have a 2000 C2, and going to buy a set of Solid Engine Mounts, and a Semi Solid Transmission Mount but thought i would check to see if anyone near Kansas City has a set they want to sell first.

Let me know!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:42 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

You have to be a member to post in the classifieds. I’m curious why you are looking to upgrade? Is this for a track car?
Old 03-13-2018, 01:45 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

I have heard that solid engine mounts can cause problems with the engine knock sensors. Just throwing it out there....
Old 03-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slakker
You have to be a member to post in the classifieds. I’m curious why you are looking to upgrade? Is this for a track car?
The stockers with 89,000 are cashed, and since its a rear engine car, I cant imagine that the vibration could be to terrible. The knock sensor deal could suck, but i wouldn't think that the knock sensor is so sensitive that solid mounts would cause false readings?
Old 03-13-2018, 03:08 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

https://flat6motorsports.com/product...mounts-996-997 will not cause problems with the knock sensors
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...on-mounts.html
Old 03-13-2018, 05:02 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

I have semi-solids on my 996 both engine and transmission. No issues at all. Solid would be harsh as I still drive my car to and from the track but if it were trailered I would consider that route.

I have Wevo semi solids on the engine and Function First insert orange on the transmission.

I have talked to Charles Navarro (at LNE) personally and he said he runs Wevo semi-solids on his car w/ no knock sensor problems.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:37 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

The wevo semi-solid are very nice for track usage. For daily driving I found the NVH from semi-solid mounts a bit annoying, especially since there was no noticeable gain on the street. Solid mounts provide no additional benefit over semi but there are downsides as stated above.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:48 PM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Slakker mentioned, you need to be a member to place an add and once you are a member, you will frequently find trans mount inserts and solid engine mounts for sale since many complain about the rough ride and noise associated with them.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:54 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I've got one of those semi-solid front trans mounts inserts I'll give you. It's like the Function First type, but by a different vendor from Europe. Don't recall the name. Send me a PM, and I'll send it out to you. They are yellow, and are not the very firm ones, but the more modest firmness.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:14 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

I think that 99% of shifting problems that we experience on these cars (at least the cars with the single front transmission mount) are due to this mount sagging. The FF insert made an amazing improvement in shifting on my car and I am not concerned w/ NVH as my car is mostly track use. There is also a special tool you can buy that will allow you to press out the old rubber bushing and install a new one with the transmission in the car.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:17 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Ok, just because I have to every time this comes up....

You can also accomplish the same thing with a 70 durometer tube of 3M window weld. You can fill the spaces in the transmission mount with it. Then, drill a hole in the top of your engine mounts and rinse them out with rubbing alcohol. Once dry, fill them with back up with Window Weld as well. You have now accomplished the same thing for a grand total of $20. If you want to get fancy, McMaster Carr has a wider variety of "hardness" but 70 is a good middle of the road solution.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:05 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 996 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000
For some reason i can not post in the classifieds....

I have a 2000 C2, and going to buy a set of Solid Engine Mounts, and a Semi Solid Transmission Mount but thought i would check to see if anyone near Kansas City has a set they want to sell first.

Let me know!
Solid motor mounts are not the best solution for the street. You suffer ride quality and increased noise in the cabin. Some people have had issues with the knock sensors.

I know Wevo and RSS motor mounts are well respected on the GT3 forum and compliant enough for street.

Function First gets a number of nods for the transmission mount. I have the yellow insert waiting to go into mine and RSS mounts as a birthday wish.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:15 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
I've got one of those semi-solid front trans mounts inserts I'll give you. It's like the Function First type, but by a different vendor from Europe. Don't recall the name. Send me a PM, and I'll send it out to you. They are yellow, and are not the very firm ones, but the more modest firmness.
If that falls through may I please be second in line?
Old 03-15-2018, 10:17 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I have semi-solids on my 996 both engine and transmission. No issues at all. Solid would be harsh as I still drive my car to and from the track but if it were trailered I would consider that route.

I have Wevo semi solids on the engine and Function First insert orange on the transmission.

I have talked to Charles Navarro (at LNE) personally and he said he runs Wevo semi-solids on his car w/ no knock sensor problems.
I recall Jake saying that semi solid mounts did cause knock sensor issues? Or was that in reference to solid mounts perhaps?
Old 03-16-2018, 12:42 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan_189
I recall Jake saying that semi solid mounts did cause knock sensor issues? Or was that in reference to solid mounts perhaps?
He has. And Charles Navarro with his same shop told me the opposite...that there is no problem with them (in reference to semi-solids). How many Boxster and 996 race cars are out there running solid mounts? A lot. I would think if it were a major issue you would hear a lot of talk about it but you don't. At all. And with that being the case w/ solids it's doubtful there is an issue w/ semi solids.

Quick Reply: Solid Engine and Transmission Mounts