Helmholtz Resonator delete / CAI hose for X51 / Tiptronics

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 12:33 PM
40th steve
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Helmholtz Resonator delete / CAI hose for X51 / Tiptronics

Hi,

I wanted to carry out the Helmholtz Resonator delete on my car but it has a X51 engine that has the extra breather pipe connected to the intake hose. I've seen examples where people have fitted a small filter to the breather pipe but wanted neater solution.

I contacted Samco and over the last few months have been working with them on a CAI hose to suit the 996 X51 & Tiptronic cars that have the breather.

Due to the connection to an oil breather pipe it's been Flurosilicone lined which will prevent oil degradation. (Normal coloured silicone is susceptible to oil and will soften over time without a protective liner) and is available in the range of Samco colours.

The finished item is now available under part number TB-5570 (£70) & CKTB5570 (£10) for the clip kit from any Samco dealer. Samco inform me that production capacity is currently at 110% so all orders may take upto 6 weeks.

The pictures show the before & after on my car, please note I have a 997 airbox fitted but it works with the 996 airbox too.
I left the 997 Helmholtz Resonator in place as its harder to remove & smaller than the 996 airbox one and just blanked it off using a plastic bung. If you have a 996 airbox then you can easily remove the Helmholtz Resonator and blank the hole in the usual way.

Name:  KNh2yWp.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  660.4 KB

Name:  87dhZp8.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  710.3 KB

Please note, I've no connection to Samco & no interest in this other than a project for my car & getting a product from a quality manufacturer out there allowing others to carry out the mod to their car.

Hope this helps those of you with the breather pipe carry out the mod.

Steve
Old 03-09-2018, 12:55 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Great write up and top work! I thought I’d “cheat the system” and buy a cheap silicone hose on eBay...bad idea! The fitment was terrible and couldn’t wait to take it off my car. Initially, I thought it asinine to drop $275 on the Fabsspeed kit- it’s just a silicone hose! But I found one used in the parts marketplace on this site for a good bit less than new and it fits as it should. You found the best solution given the fitment looks great and you paid a lot less!

Now I just need to find a 997 3.6L airbox which I’m not having much luck with. Plenty of 3.8 boxes out there but not so much with the 3.6.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:16 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Nice !! good job !!
Old 03-14-2018, 10:22 AM
40th steve
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, hopefully this will provide an easy & quick solution for people with the breather hose.

Originally Posted by jllphan
Now I just need to find a 997 3.6L airbox which I’m not having much luck with. Plenty of 3.8 boxes out there but not so much with the 3.6.
The 997.1 3.6L boxes do come up, it took me a while to find mine so stick with it. Just make sure the locating pegs on the bottom are intact and it gets well packaged for postage as they are easily broken.

Quick Reply: Helmholtz Resonator delete / CAI hose for X51 / Tiptronics