Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oops! WTF?! Broke oild filler tube off! Fix? Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 08:16 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I were to do this job again, I would McGuyever it and leave it be.

Others already highlighted the "fun" parts of the job. If your car has higher mileage and alternator is original, get ready for potential hours of pounding on the right bolt to get the spring loaded bearing to release. Also, you have 99% chance of breaking the plastic coolant fitting posted above. I broke it, and so far everyone else who did this job broke it as well. Before I replaced my tube (which broke during the first oil change I did on the car), I had it gorilla taped for a few months and had no CEL or any other ill effects.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:03 AM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Got the part in the mail today but ya....... already Macgayvered it and I think I'm good for now. Don't need that headache right now, or buying a new alternator. Will give it to my guy next time it goes it for something else. Thanks for all the help!!!!
Old 03-01-2018, 11:55 AM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

I could be mistake, so don't rely on this without verification. But -- I had the airbox, throttle body and plenum crossover out recently to fish through a new AOS hose and it looked like that left enough access to change the oil filler tube. If I'm right, wouldn't that be easier than pulling the alternator?
Old 03-01-2018, 12:17 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...e-harness.html

Link shows step-by-step with a lot of additional info you may not need but there will be some useful pictures.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:24 PM
PacNW3
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I was able to get it done by moving the alternator, not removing it. You still have to go through the the trouble of getting the passenger side of it loose, but you don’t have to jack around with the wiring.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:59 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...e-harness.html

Link shows step-by-step with a lot of additional info you may not need but there will be some useful pictures.
You did a fantastic job with that write-up. I'm sure I'll be referring to it when the time comes.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:58 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wyovino
I'm sure I'll be referring to it when the time comes.
The time came. That part on Amazon is out of stock. I need to get this fixed within the next day or two for a trip. Is there anything from Home Depot or chain auto parts store that can be used at least temporarily?
Old 06-20-2018, 05:09 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Measure the pipes diameter and go to the auto parts store.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:24 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
The time came. That part on Amazon is out of stock. I need to get this fixed within the next day or two for a trip. Is there anything from Home Depot or chain auto parts store that can be used at least temporarily?
I can imagine some Gorilla Tape will work as a temporary fix, especially if it is the normal break in the corrugated part. Would recommend wrapping it way beyond where the break is.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:24 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

I decided to go with Gorilla Tape in the short term. There are a few places online where I can order the coupler, but nothing is available in the time I need it. So far so good. I broke the tube while finishing up my coolant tank replacement. Oh joy.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:41 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I did not read all the replies but I would replace with a new part. If this part is brittle enough to break there are probably cracks in places you can't see. I did a whole write up with clear pictures on how to replace the alternator, starter, oil filler tube and the wire harness between the 12 V power starter and alternator. Some people report problems removing the alternator but I had zero issues or struggles. My car ran noticeable better and started instantly after replacing all the mentioned parts. Take your time, take pictures, read my write up and you can do it.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:04 PM
PacNW3
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Once you remove the tube, there will be a fairly large hole in the top of the crank case. Be sure nothing drops in there. I thought I lost a bolt, but I found it a couple inches away using a mirror & a light.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:33 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
I did not read all the replies but I would replace with a new part. If this part is brittle enough to break there are probably cracks in places you can't see. I did a whole write up with clear pictures on how to replace the alternator, starter, oil filler tube and the wire harness between the 12 V power starter and alternator. Some people report problems removing the alternator but I had zero issues or struggles. My car ran noticeable better and started instantly after replacing all the mentioned parts. Take your time, take pictures, read my write up and you can do it.
Next year I'll be bringing my car in to replace the LNE Dual row bearing and AOS. Since this is a Tip Cab, it requires dropping the engine. I'll have them replace the oil filler tube at the same time. The oil tube didn't break on its own. I was replacing the coolant tank and put my weight on the oil filler pipe without thinking.

Quick Reply: Oops! WTF?! Broke oild filler tube off! Fix? Replace?