Sponsored by:

Metal in Oil Filter and Blackstone high Copper

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 09:57 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,201 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by donking
Thank you for the ID of the particles, I didn't see anything that looked like this in the other threads. There were maybe 1 or 2 other pieces about the same size in different parts of the filter. Does this amount of material actually indicate a problem? Seems the other materials mentioned in the other threads just pointed to manufacturing/tooling excess being dislodged.

Also, how does leaking fuel cause this to get into the oil? The analysis shows little fuel in the oil.

Thanks again,
Bad injectors wash cylinder bores down and if they are leaking, will pool fuel in the cylinder. Fuel is not a lubricant. We've just seen a direct correlation to bad injectors and scored cylinders in non-cold climate cars, so it's something to be aware of.

The way Lokasil works, you have an iron coating (Ferrostan) on the pistons that prevents the aluminum to aluminum contact with the raw (etched) aluminum bores. Once you loose the coating, it's not a question of if but rather when you will have cylinder scoring.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:52 PM
donking
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Bad injectors wash cylinder bores down and if they are leaking, will pool fuel in the cylinder. Fuel is not a lubricant. We've just seen a direct correlation to bad injectors and scored cylinders in non-cold climate cars, so it's something to be aware of.

The way Lokasil works, you have an iron coating (Ferrostan) on the pistons that prevents the aluminum to aluminum contact with the raw (etched) aluminum bores. Once you loose the coating, it's not a question of if but rather when you will have cylinder scoring.
Still not understanding what you're saying here. If the Ferrostan is being compromised by excess fuel from leaking injectors, wouldn't the flakes be blown out the exhaust? I don't understand how it would get into the oil.

Thanks again for the explanations.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:55 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by donking
Still not understanding what you're saying here. If the Ferrostan is being compromised by excess fuel from leaking injectors, wouldn't the flakes be blown out the exhaust? I don't understand how it would get into the oil.

Thanks again for the explanations.
It can't make it past the rings. Remember, this is the coating on the piston skirts.

Excess fuel washes down the cylinder bore (fuel is not a lubricant) and will further increase wear.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:02 PM
donking
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I wouldn't even start it.
Could you explain why? If the cylinder scoring has already happened, don't the pistons and/or cylinder sleeves need to be replaced? What will it matter if they become more scored?
Old 02-16-2018, 07:07 PM
donking
Intermediate

It can't make it past the rings. Remember, this is the coating on the piston skirts.

Excess fuel washes down the cylinder bore (fuel is not a lubricant) and will further increase wear.
So the fuel is passing the rings when the engine is not running and damaging the pistons (skirts) on the crank/rod/oil side of the piston. If that was the case, wouldn't the oil analysis show fuel in the oil?
Old 02-16-2018, 07:10 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

The scoring happens when the piston skirt coating has failed. That's what happens first.

Yes, we install new aluminum sleeves with NSC plating (similar to Nikasil) and fit new pistons, when rebuilding the block.

It is possible to reuse the original pistons when and if there hasn't been a cylinder failure that damages the pistons. In that case, we have Calico Coatings coat the pistons and set up the bores off the coated pistons. However, new pistons are the best route, we only re-use the original pistons when complying with PCA Club Racing or other customer requirements to retain the original pistons.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:06 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,790 Likes on 2,160 Posts

I can't believe no one in here has not mentioned running a top end lube like ashless TC-W3 2-stroke oil. Thousands of others have been doing for years in cars that don't even have bore scoring issues, like the M96 does. They do it for other reasons that are a lot less serious. I have been guilty of running left over pre-mix in my 4 strokes many many times over my life. And of course always ran a" boutique" top end lube in my alky race car.( Because alcohol a VERY dry fuel). Seems like a no-brainer for anyone worried about bore scoring.

Last edited by Porschetech3; 02-17-2018 at 04:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DSC800 (12-22-2020)
Old 02-17-2018, 04:14 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

^^ Today’s fuel does not have the lubricuty that fuel did years ago. For my cars I often add Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant (a couple ounces) at nearly every tankful. Been using it for years. The cars I own don’t suffer from bore scoring but I like the benefits of the Lucas product, also has a fuel injector cleaner.

I’ve been using it in my daily driver 2004 BMW 325i, 219,000 miles with zero drivability issues (original fuel injectors) and very little oil consumption beteween oil changes. Also use it in the ‘84 and ‘95 Porsches.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:47 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KNS
^^ Today’s fuel does not have the lubricuty that fuel did years ago. For my cars I often add Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant (a couple ounces) at nearly every tankful. Been using it for years. The cars I own don’t suffer from bore scoring but I like the benefits of the Lucas product, also has a fuel injector cleaner.

I’ve been using it in my daily driver 2004 BMW 325i, 219,000 miles with zero drivability issues (original fuel injectors) and very little oil consumption beteween oil changes. Also use it in the ‘84 and ‘95 Porsches.
I'm currently working on a paper discussing this exact topic and the lubricity of fuels as it pertains to our Porsche cars, with a focus on the older models not originally designed to run ethanol fuels. It will be published via the LN newsletter probably next month.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,790 Likes on 2,160 Posts

I'm currently working on a paper discussing this exact topic and the lubricity of fuels as it pertains to our Porsche cars, with a focus on the older models not originally designed to run ethanol fuels. It will be published via the LN newsletter probably next month.
So you agree that running a top end lube on m96/m97 engines can avoid a bore score induced by cold starts, tight clearance, and rich fueling cold?
Old 02-18-2018, 09:17 PM
todcp
Instructor

And is my favorite gasoline providing the extra lubricity our cars need in their additive package already?

"According to Shell researcher Ed Nelson, the company’s V-Power Nitro+ claims to add “protection against wear and corrosion to the detergents our gasoline already contains” by adhering to affected parts for better lubrication while keeping water in the gasoline from doing the same for reduced corrosion"
Old 02-18-2018, 09:41 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Subscribed, leaking injectors causing bore scoring... gah I won't sleep now tonight!
Old 02-19-2018, 11:48 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
So you agree that running a top end lube on m96/m97 engines can avoid a bore score induced by cold starts, tight clearance, and rich fueling cold?
I just gave a talk at Porsche Tech Tactics this weekend in Easton, PA, and we touched on this.

I'm a big proponent with high performance and vintage engines to run a fuel additive with every other tank for fuel. I run Driven Carb Defender in the older cars and Injector Defender in newer cars. Likewise, if cars sit for 30 days or more without use, some sort of fuel stabilizer is a must. The e10 fuels don't have the shelf life of non-ethanol fuels.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:59 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

QUOTE=Charles Navarro;14812618]I just gave a talk at Porsche Tech Tactics this weekend in Easton, PA, and we touched on this.

I'm a big proponent with high performance and vintage engines to run a fuel additive with every other tank for fuel. I run Driven Carb Defender in the older cars and Injector Defender in newer cars. Likewise, if cars sit for 30 days or more without use, some sort of fuel stabilizer is a must. The e10 fuels don't have the shelf life of non-ethanol fuels.[/QUOTE]

Charles, Got any good links for vintage air cooled applications. I'd like to read up on this.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:23 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill
QUOTE=Charles Navarro;14812618]I just gave a talk at Porsche Tech Tactics this weekend in Easton, PA, and we touched on this.

I'm a big proponent with high performance and vintage engines to run a fuel additive with every other tank for fuel. I run Driven Carb Defender in the older cars and Injector Defender in newer cars. Likewise, if cars sit for 30 days or more without use, some sort of fuel stabilizer is a must. The e10 fuels don't have the shelf life of non-ethanol fuels.
Charles, Got any good links for vintage air cooled applications. I'd like to read up on this.[/QUOTE]

Specifically on Fuels, I wrote and published this on FB and our newsletter a while back:

http://web-extract.constantcontact.c...bd334eb5e5.jpg

If you check out the LN Facebook account, there a few other articles on oils and such. All good reads. I try to publish mostly technical stuff to our subscribers, rather than spamming daily specials.

Quick Reply: Metal in Oil Filter and Blackstone high Copper