Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Cabriolet rear window regulator(s) etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 09:23 PM
ckroeger
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Cabriolet rear window regulator(s) etc.

OK, so I've poured myself a bourbon and will attempt to explain my problem(s).
1. I have a 1999 Porsche 996 Cabriolet that runs fantastic, but the convertible top cylinders and rear window regulators are shot.
2. In the beginning...the first problem to occur was a leaking convertible top cylinder. I dealt with it by refilling the reservoir every month or so because the part is so bloody expensive...I guess that's my first mistake.
3. About 6 months ago, the left rear window regulator failed...so I pulled the window shut and decided to deal with it later...yet another expensive part. Since that regulator failed, I have not attempted to open the top.
4. About 2 months ago, the right rear window regulator failed...so now I'm finally going to fix all of this...myself; I consider myself a decent backyard mechanic...this doesn't look to hard.
5. So today, I decided to try to open the roof...pressed the button (like normal) and nothing happened...except I got a red flashing indicator on the convertible top open/close switch. This I assume has happened for one of two reasons or both reasons combined: 1. the rear window regulators don't work, so the top won't actuate, or 2. the oil reservoir has run out of oil because the cylinder leaks and the top won't actuate because of that (except I don't hear the pump which I normally do even if it's low).
6. My approach (if you all should agree) is to remove the left and right rear window regulators and send them out for repair (I understand that the repair shop is good). My question is, do I have to open the top to get those out...not that it matters because I have to change the cylinders anyway.
7. The reason for question 6 is that if I have to crank open the top to remove the rear window regulators, I may then have to get the system reprogramed...but if I can leave it closed, and if there's oil in the reservoir, then I can change the regulators with the top closed, then open the top to the service position and change the cylinders...
8. Is there a civilized way to access the rear window regulators without totally destroying the trim?
OK...now my bourbon is empty, I'm ready for criticism and advice. I look forward to all your reply's...Thank you in advance.
Thank you very much, I am always humbled by people who know their stuff.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:56 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ckroeger
OK, so I've poured myself a bourbon and will attempt to explain my problem(s).
1. I have a 1999 Porsche 996 Cabriolet that runs fantastic, but the convertible top cylinders and rear window regulators are shot.
2. In the beginning...the first problem to occur was a leaking convertible top cylinder. I dealt with it by refilling the reservoir every month or so because the part is so bloody expensive...I guess that's my first mistake.
3. About 6 months ago, the left rear window regulator failed...so I pulled the window shut and decided to deal with it later...yet another expensive part. Since that regulator failed, I have not attempted to open the top.
4. About 2 months ago, the right rear window regulator failed...so now I'm finally going to fix all of this...myself; I consider myself a decent backyard mechanic...this doesn't look to hard.
5. So today, I decided to try to open the roof...pressed the button (like normal) and nothing happened...except I got a red flashing indicator on the convertible top open/close switch. This I assume has happened for one of two reasons or both reasons combined: 1. the rear window regulators don't work, so the top won't actuate, or 2. the oil reservoir has run out of oil because the cylinder leaks and the top won't actuate because of that (except I don't hear the pump which I normally do even if it's low).
6. My approach (if you all should agree) is to remove the left and right rear window regulators and send them out for repair (I understand that the repair shop is good). My question is, do I have to open the top to get those out...not that it matters because I have to change the cylinders anyway.
7. The reason for question 6 is that if I have to crank open the top to remove the rear window regulators, I may then have to get the system reprogramed...but if I can leave it closed, and if there's oil in the reservoir, then I can change the regulators with the top closed, then open the top to the service position and change the cylinders...
8. Is there a civilized way to access the rear window regulators without totally destroying the trim?
OK...now my bourbon is empty, I'm ready for criticism and advice. I look forward to all your reply's...Thank you in advance.
Thank you very much, I am always humbled by people who know their stuff.

Have you tried to open the top via the 'key in drivers door' positiion. Key in door lock, hold to the left (or right not sure now). One of them. Bring to 'service position' and release. Unhook the bobble wires and hold back roof with bungee chord
Old 01-25-2018, 05:05 PM
996inTX
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not an expert, so there's that caveat. I had the same problems at different times, but not all together. Seems you wouldn't be able to put the top down nor into service mode if your rear Windows don't roll down. So you'll need to fix those first.

People on here have done it, and it doesn't seem too difficult, but my fat *** arms couldn't maneuver inn there really, do I ended up taking it in. Wasn't cheap, but mainly cuz the regulators are expensive.

Once that's done, you can put the top into service mode like the guy above says and tackle the cylinders. You can send them into shops that'll seek you rebuilt ones and take yours as cores. Fairly straightforward you do. There's links on the web and YouTube videos on this out there.

Good luck
Old 01-30-2018, 06:43 PM
ckroeger
AutoX

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Have you tried to open the top via the 'key in drivers door' positiion. Key in door lock, hold to the left (or right not sure now). One of them. Bring to 'service position' and release. Unhook the bobble wires and hold back roof with bungee chord
Hi, Sorry for the delay. I did try, the top unlocked from the windshield, but no movement...so the pump is empty as I thought. I also removed the side panels today to see what's next...still can't see the regulators, guess I have to dig further. Any tips will be helpful.
Thank you.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:47 PM
ckroeger
AutoX

Originally Posted by 996inTX
I am not an expert, so there's that caveat. I had the same problems at different times, but not all together. Seems you wouldn't be able to put the top down nor into service mode if your rear Windows don't roll down. So you'll need to fix those first.

People on here have done it, and it doesn't seem too difficult, but my fat *** arms couldn't maneuver inn there really, do I ended up taking it in. Wasn't cheap, but mainly cuz the regulators are expensive.

Once that's done, you can put the top into service mode like the guy above says and tackle the cylinders. You can send them into shops that'll seek you rebuilt ones and take yours as cores. Fairly straightforward you do. There's links on the web and YouTube videos on this out there.

Good luck
Thanks for your reply...looks like I'll have to fix both together. I'll have to manually crank the top to the service position, then remove R&R the regulators...which looks like the cylinders have to come out anyway. So the only question to me is, crank the top to the service position, take out the old cylinders, R&R the regulators, put in the new cylinders, refill reservoir with oil and then manually crank the top shut??? That way the computer sees the top in the exact position it was in prior to servicing???
Old 01-31-2018, 12:23 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

I am one of the guys that changed the cylinders and rear regulators....albeit at different times.

If you look for my posts on the rear regulators, you may find a link to a place in Brooklyn, NYC that repairs them (much less than buying new). And a few instruction on how to do it.

I also replaced the cylinders with rebuilt, you may find a link in one of those posts also.......it has been a while.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:56 PM
ckroeger
AutoX

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by pesuazo
I am one of the guys that changed the cylinders and rear regulators....albeit at different times.

If you look for my posts on the rear regulators, you may find a link to a place in Brooklyn, NYC that repairs them (much less than buying new). And a few instruction on how to do it.

I also replaced the cylinders with rebuilt, you may find a link in one of those posts also.......it has been a while.
Since I was having so much trouble at the same time, I bought some used cylinders and used regulators and had them rebuilt...the regulators out of Brooklyn and the cylinders somewhere out of Florida...so I now have spares if this ever happens again, or I can sell them. I didn't think to go on the Brooklyn rebuilders site for instructions...there are some instructions on Rennlist, but they refer to a special tool...I don't know what that special tool is...I haven't found it explained yet.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:50 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ckroeger
Since I was having so much trouble at the same time, I bought some used cylinders and used regulators and had them rebuilt...the regulators out of Brooklyn and the cylinders somewhere out of Florida...so I now have spares if this ever happens again, or I can sell them. I didn't think to go on the Brooklyn rebuilders site for instructions...there are some instructions on Rennlist, but they refer to a special tool...I don't know what that special tool is...I haven't found it explained yet.
The special tool is an allen wrench so not really all that special.

I'm actually in the middle of this repair myself. I've been out of town a lot so haven't been able to get it completed but I just have to reinstall the rebuild regulator.

I had mine rebuilt from a guy who advertises on Ebay from Florida. Seems like he did a good job but I won't know until I install it. Not looking forward to the process though which is why I keep putting it off!
Old 02-01-2018, 06:13 PM
ckroeger
AutoX

Originally Posted by fpena944
The special tool is an allen wrench so not really all that special.

I'm actually in the middle of this repair myself. I've been out of town a lot so haven't been able to get it completed but I just have to reinstall the rebuild regulator.

I had mine rebuilt from a guy who advertises on Ebay from Florida. Seems like he did a good job but I won't know until I install it. Not looking forward to the process though which is why I keep putting it off!
Thank you for your reply. OK...I have plenty of allen wrenches. My regulators haven't arrived yet, but since I rebuilt the entire hydraulic system for the convertible top, I literally have everything torn out of the back of the car...no seats, carpet...nothing is in the way. I have done so much research that I think I can nail it...we'll see. When the parts come in, I'm going to attempt to do both in one day...then put the interior back in when I get some additional time.

Quick Reply: 996 Cabriolet rear window regulator(s) etc.