BAT Auction:996 with Flat 6 Innovations Stage II Track Performer Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 10:44 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts
Default BAT Auction:996 with Flat 6 Innovations Stage II Track Performer Engine

Rennlisters,
One of our purchasers from a couple of years ago passed away just a few months after receiving his car back from us. His family decided to sell the car, and it is currently listed on Bring a Trailer for auction through a dealer local to us.
Its fitted with our 3.8 Stage II Track Performer engine, and has only seen a couple thousand miles, since completion.
It should be interesting to see what this one goes for.
Here's a link to the auction:
​​​​​​https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-carrera-c4/
Old 01-19-2018, 11:54 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. This will actually give me something of an idea on my car now that it's had it's 3.8 transplant.... not that I'm getting rid of it.... EVER.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:15 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^doesn't yours put down 50whp more than this one?

not trying to start another dyno war thread...but iirc, your had a lot more power? Or am I think of something completely different?
Old 01-19-2018, 12:26 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
^^doesn't yours put down 50whp more than this one?

not trying to start another dyno war thread...but iirc, your had a lot more power? Or am I think of something completely different?
With the 15% rule (of HP loss through an AWD system) this makes this FSI 3.8 put out 326 at the crank...which is a little underwhelming for a $28K investment.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:41 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by strathconaman
With the 15% rule (of HP loss through an AWD system) this makes this FSI 3.8 put out 326 at the crank...which is a little underwhelming for a $28K investment.
This engine is still fitted with 100% stock exhaust, stock catalytic converters, and stock throttle body. It was not fully optimized at completion, as the owner planned to add the other items before he started tracking the car.

That's because there's no 15% rule. This is a tiptronic, the rule is more around 24%. This is based from direct comparisons from our engine dyno, to install into the car, and then onto the chassis dyno. We have performed this comparison a few hundred times at this point, between manuals, and tiptronics, between our two engine dynos, and the chassis dyno.

If this engine were fitted in a manual, it would net around 300 RWHP, even with the 100% stock ancillaries.

No owner of a tiptronic vehicle is concerned with peak power. The engine combination that we use for a tiptronic application is completely different for the tiptronic application, as there are concerns that have to be addressed that a manual does not have.

This owner didn't care about net power; he bought the engine so it would resist the failure that he had already experienced first hand. The added power was icing on the cake, and was a secondary reason for the purchase, not the primary.

Fully optimized with our intake, exhaust, X- pipe, catalytic converters, coils, and etc this one would have made an additional 21-30HP, if it follows the traits of those that have come before it.

@Bluechip:
​​​​​​Wow. This will actually give me something of an idea on my car now that it's had it's 3.8 transplant.... not that I'm getting rid of it.... EVER
Actually, it won't at all. Your car isn't a tiptronic cabriolet, is it? The buyer for this car will be dramatically different than the purchaser of a manual, 6 speed coupe. It will be a complete apples to grapefruit comparison.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:41 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by strathconaman
326 at the crank...which is a little underwhelming for a $28K investment.
This is the conversation i was hoping to avoid.

I was thinking more like slakers old engine was a track performer III or something. I swear I read somewhere that car was putting down 350whp. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:46 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
This is the conversation i was hoping to avoid.

I was thinking more like slakers old engine was a track performer III or something. I swear I read somewhere that car was putting down 350whp. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.
Throw the displacement aside.. These two engines have a completely different internal combination, and thats directly attributed to the tiptronic transaxle optimization.

Slakker also had a fully optimized intake, and exhaust system. The BAT car is 100% stock in those regards.

To truly judge one of these engines one must average the HP and torque over a 5,000 RPM range. People that look directly at peak output are looking at a 250RPM snapshot of the engine's performance, and they are totally missing the most important portion of the engine's power band/ output. With a tiptronic we are ONLY concerned with torque.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:54 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

For street use, just compare the area under the torque curves for the best comparison of the two engines. I always consider this as more relevant, regardless of the trans used.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:06 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Coopduc
For street use, just compare the area under the torque curves for the best comparison of the two engines. I always consider this as more relevant, regardless of the trans used.
Thats true.. But only applicable if the engine combination wasn't also altered to optimize the operation, and gearing of the tiptronic. In this case, thats the case.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:40 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
This engine is still fitted with 100% stock exhaust, stock catalytic converters, and stock throttle body. It was not fully optimized at completion, as the owner planned to add the other items before he started tracking the car.

That's because there's no 15% rule. This is a tiptronic, the rule is more around 24%. This is based from direct comparisons from our engine dyno, to install into the car, and then onto the chassis dyno. We have performed this comparison a few hundred times at this point, between manuals, and tiptronics, between our two engine dynos, and the chassis dyno.

If this engine were fitted in a manual, it would net around 300 RWHP, even with the 100% stock ancillaries.

No owner of a tiptronic vehicle is concerned with peak power. The engine combination that we use for a tiptronic application is completely different for the tiptronic application, as there are concerns that have to be addressed that a manual does not have.

This owner didn't care about net power; he bought the engine so it would resist the failure that he had already experienced first hand. The added power was icing on the cake, and was a secondary reason for the purchase, not the primary.

Fully optimized with our intake, exhaust, X- pipe, catalytic converters, coils, and etc this one would have made an additional 21-30HP, if it follows the traits of those that have come before it.

@Bluechip:

Actually, it won't at all. Your car isn't a tiptronic cabriolet, is it? The buyer for this car will be dramatically different than the purchaser of a manual, 6 speed coupe. It will be a complete apples to grapefruit comparison.

Slakker also had a fully optimized intake, and exhaust system. The BAT car is 100% stock in those regards.

Both valid points - thank you. And I have the same intake and exhaust that Slakker had - so that's something that I hadn't thought of either.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:09 PM
george_west
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 33 Posts

Thats true.. But only applicable if the engine combination wasn't also altered to optimize the operation, and gearing of the tiptronic. In this case, thats the case.
That being said, what could a potential buyer expect if their only purpose in buying this car was to transplant the engine it into a 6 speed manual car? Would it be noticeably different from a similar engine built for a 6mt?
Old 01-19-2018, 03:19 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

The problem here is that there is no "before" and "after", and I would be after a metric-crap-tonne of mid range torque.

If FSI's number of 24% for the slushbox, then peak torque is ~330 at the crank...somewhere around 4500rpm (maybe? so hard to say with that chart), which is actually pretty good. Compare a 991 3.8 makes 325 at 5600 rpm.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:29 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

excuse my ignorance. 991 is the porsche 911 model from 2011 to ??
Old 01-19-2018, 04:00 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

I think the 997S was a 355ho motor. Not sure about the new 991 but I’d bet it’s more.

The 991 base is 345hp and the S is 395. The .2 cars are 365 and 414 respectively.

Last edited by Blue Chip; 01-19-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: BAT Auction:996 with Flat 6 Innovations Stage II Track Performer Engine