Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS Shaft Runout.... How much is acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:20 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Sure...
Those were Mr. Raby's posts a few years ago. He's assembled a team to handle the parts of this business that he doesn't care for, and he is having fun staying away from forums, and out of the office completely.
Glad to see that you have someone local to handle this for you. Remember, we only build complete engines, and don't perform any machine work :-)
Guess he's tired of the drama. But he has been seen in many military type vehicles these days! Guess he deserves a much needed sabbatical. Hope my critique of the PCA videos didn't add to this very reason.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:45 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Typically anything more than .005" we will fail for use with ball or roller bearings. The IMS Solution was tested and had no problems with runout of up to .015".

Also, you can't just throw the ims into a 3 or 4 jaw chuck and expect accurate results. We have soft jaws that grab the ims tube (to prevent damage to the IMS tube) and the fixture is dialed in every time before any measuring or machining operations are carried out. We typically wait until we have a bunch of shafts to do at once because of the required setup time.

Thanks for your sharing of the much needed detail specifications on the IMS runnout. What other machining operations of the IMS shaft do you perform on the shaft other than measuring and pinning? I know you use to offer machining of the housing to accept the 52mm bearing of the 997.1 into the 47mm bearing housings, but since the widespread use of the roller bearing and plain bearing this is obsolete.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:59 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the responses, guys! Judging from the responses and the photos I've seen which Charles N, I will re-use my IMS shaft. Plus, my engine made it 90k miles without and IMSB failure, so I think that'll be fine... Feeling much better about it now.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:41 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Guess he's tired of the drama. But he has been seen in many military type vehicles these days! Guess he deserves a much needed sabbatical. Hope my critique of the PCA videos didn't add to this very reason.
He was tired of people in general. I will say that the extra calls, emails, and comments from “people” about those IMS videos seemed to push him over the top.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Thanks for your sharing of the much needed detail specifications on the IMS runnout. What other machining operations of the IMS shaft do you perform on the shaft other than measuring and pinning? I know you use to offer machining of the housing to accept the 52mm bearing of the 997.1 into the 47mm bearing housings, but since the widespread use of the roller bearing and plain bearing this is obsolete.
We clean the intermediate shafts inside and out then measure all the sprockets as well as the housing bore for the bearing. After it passes all those tests, we then proceed to pin the main drive sprocket and finally install the customer's choice of IMS Retrofit or IMS Solution.

For the record, the 06-08 shafts are the best of all the intermediate shafts and typically have zero runout.

Quick Reply: IMS Shaft Runout.... How much is acceptable?