Sponsored by:

Key being weird slow single flash

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:30 AM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Key being weird slow single flash

Can anyone help, my battery went flat on my key, everything was fine before, I've put a new battery in which is the right one but now my key doesn't have the rapid flash you usually get and now Just does a single flash on the key , if you hold the button down it flashes like once a second . It won't open the car anymore and I'm having to use the key in the door , any idea what's wrong??
Old 01-15-2018, 11:56 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 758 Posts

Have you tried opening the door, putting key in ignition, starting the engine, shutting it down, exit the car and see if it works then? Is the battery inserted the right way? I have also heard that reversing the battery for a couple of seconds, then putting it in the correct way sometimes works.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:20 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi joe
Yes I've tried opening the door and starting it, no change? I'll try the battery thing!
Old 01-15-2018, 07:17 PM
crimony
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could just try another battery, sometimes you just get a bad one from the factory. A short flash suggests the voltage is holding up enough to start the transmission then dropping quickly as current is drawn. I've had a number of supposedly "fresh" batteries not work and give similar behaviour to what you describe.

If you have a multimeter, take the battery out and measure the voltage between the top and bottom, if it's below about 2.7V then replace.

I find these batteries only last a few months in my key, they seem to go flat very quickly, not that this is the problem you have.

Sam.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:57 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 758 Posts

Just as a point of reference - my key gave up the ghost many years ago. Was always a bit flaky from the beginning. The circuit board in the key stopped working, probably because of old solder connections on the circuit board. Changing out the battery did not work to make it function again. I can put in a new battery and it does just like what you said, it blinks or stays solid but does not unlock/lock the car anymore. Maybe replacing the battery caused the circuit board to finally fail. No amount of voodoo steps to try and get the key to "talk" to the car again ever worked. Been using the manual key ever since. I have no problem with that. It's been like over seven years doing that.
The following users liked this post:
85eurocarrera (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 11:33 AM
CaliCarrera
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Enter & Drive

I haven’t had any issues. I like the function it performs. That’s why I optioned it.

Quick Reply: Key being weird slow single flash