996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The cure for cold start induced bore scoring

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 10:06 AM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I should have chime in with my method while you guys try to do something crazy.

People in Asia has long discover the power of electric spoon. We have these when schools ban food cooking in the dorm room and when your roommate keep the microwave dirty. I have made many raman noodles in the middle of the night when studying. We also take these with us when going to hotel resorts to heat up milk in the middle of the night for kids and make noodle soups when there is no microwaves.

just drop the spoon down from the filler and plug it in Keep it nice and boiling hot.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:18 AM
yamasaki
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wonder if someone could just design an aftermarket oil pan that has a small built in heating element that can be powered either internally (12v) or external 110/220 ..

if you werent at home, you could have an option to turn it on 10minutes prior to starting (12v) , or, have it at a constant temp overnight if plugged in externally (110/220).

:-)

kinda like the big diesel trucks with heaters in the blocks.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:34 AM
Tim Cooper
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

We've got the option of block heaters in John Deere and Caterpillar engines and gearboxes, turn on three hours before start up or leave on all night.

One friend worked harvesting in Canada and they told him if he broke down the machine would have to stay there until the next April when it might be warm enough to fix and start.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:37 AM
yamasaki
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive seen a bunch of those survivalist minimalist tv show guys (alaskan long haired people, crazy lumberjack hunting dudes, etc) where they start small fires under the blocks of engines (keyword: small) to get the oil/motor warm enough to start up.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:38 AM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry, but only guys who care nothing for their cars re-use their oil in this fashion. After every drive I too drain the oil, but before the next trip I put in all new specialty oil that I cannot tell you the name of because it is made of actual living dinosaurs grown on an island in Costa Rica. How do you know the help isn't "borrowing" some of your nice warm oil to put in their lamps at night to read by?

All joking aside, we had rain for a couple days here that seemed to wash the salt away so I took the car out. And now I feel guilty, which makes me a loon.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:35 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinBloomfield
Sorry, but only guys who care nothing for their cars re-use their oil in this fashion. After every drive I too drain the oil, but before the next trip I put in all new specialty oil that I cannot tell you the name of because it is made of actual living dinosaurs grown on an island in Costa Rica. How do you know the help isn't "borrowing" some of your nice warm oil to put in their lamps at night to read by?

All joking aside, we had rain for a couple days here that seemed to wash the salt away so I took the car out. And now I feel guilty, which makes me a loon.

the damn help stealing oil! That explains why I’ve had to add a quart every thousand miles or so!
Old 03-13-2019, 03:02 PM
D.L.Jehu
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm late to this thread, but can relate to both methods:
My dad is 88 this year and when he was a kid, a Model A was a typical used car. Tells of the neighborhood mailman (this is northern North Dakota mind you...) who indeed drained the oil out of his A every night, took it inside and poured it back in come morning. The mail's gotta get out!
Back when I wore a younger man's clothes, our yard tractor was a JD 730 diesel which had pistons the size of cans and plenty of compression. It was too new (!) to still have the gasoline pup engine for starting, relying solely on electrics, don't ya know. Clearing snow was (still can be) a life and death matter, so we would throw a heavy canvas tarp over the front half of the tractor, get a couple nice logs from the wood pile, and light 'er up. The trick was to position the tarp to avoid melting the front tires. The paint was a nice black to dark green fade job on the frame, but she started many times using this method. I also remember using a tarp and pointing a salamander heater at the engine on the combine once, but that was our fault cuz we didn't work hard enough to finish harvesting before the Alberta Clipper arrived that year. Plus it was an "easy" one, cause the combine was inside our polebarn at the time.
Man, if the old man caught us starting a car or pickup in the dead of winter without having it plugged in, he would tan our hides.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:10 PM
D.L.Jehu
Track Day

...Meant to type "coffee cans" there...
Old 03-13-2019, 03:23 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by B-ran
After retreating to my thinking room, the room in which I don a smoking jacket and puff on a pipe filled with the finest of tobaccos, I had an epiphany. For those less than wise, and less than fortunate in our locales, who enjoy a bit of Porsche driving in the below freezing and below zero weather, the specter of scored bores looms like Harry Weinstein over a young starlet. The horror stories of piston slapping noises and oil thirsty engines are enough to keep one awake at night. Until now. My preventative cure is simple. Instead of just not driving my car, something a common peasant would do, I preventatively drain the oil after every drive into a surigically clean oil pan that I take into the house and put into a specially manufactured heating cabinet that keeps my oil at a tropical sixty eight degrees. When I need to hop in the car for a trip to the shops, or more likely to my job, I simply pour the oil back in, carefully inspect to make sure I remembered to tighten up the oil drain plug, stow my surgically clean oil pan in the frunk and head off into motoring bliss. When I reach my destination I simply jack up the rear end, empty the oil into my oil pan, put the oil pan back into the frunk (which I have fitted with a small space heater spliced into the frunk light wiring, and then go about my day. Now you may say this is a bit excessive, but I firmly believe oil kept warm will lubricate that engine better and help prevent Harvey, I mean bore scoring, from striking. Now we can debate thermal expansion rates and the like, but hey, warm oil is better than cold oil.

Also if anyone knows how to affix a snow plow to the front of 996, the advice would be greatly appreciated! Cheers fellas!
Makes perfect sense to me...but in FL we don't have THAT problem...
Old 03-13-2019, 03:48 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

We (the Royal we) would take our tanks out on exercise in the winter when ambient temps were -30 (C or F, it is the same) or colder. For weeks at a time, we would not turn them off, not even to refuel. We would do "rolling replenishment" where the 2 x 800L fuel tanks would by hand filled, 20L at a time while the tank crept along.

So the answer is to just keep the engine running from November 1 - April 1. Ideally you should just keep driving it, 24/7 through this period.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:35 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Wonder how to prevent barnacles attacking your boat ? Put it in dry dock every time after using it.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:00 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

You guys got it all wrong......If you just park your car in the living room at night it would never be an issue. Ya gotta prevent the problem, not make a fix for it!

The following users liked this post:
lkraav (08-07-2022)
Old 03-13-2019, 05:22 PM
AftOf245
7th Gear

Originally Posted by B-ran
I preventatively drain the oil after every drive into a surigically clean oil pan that I take into the house and put into a specially manufactured heating cabinet that keeps my oil at a tropical sixty eight degrees.
I have taken this one step further and have a specially designed heated cabinet for the entire car I think they are calling it a garage
Old 03-14-2019, 09:52 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 254 Posts

I worked with an older mechanical engineer several years back. Every day before leaving work he would walk over to the window of our 3rd floor office building with a remote. I asked him what he was doing. He had installed an external pump, heater, and piping inside the engine compartment of his Buick Roadmaster. The oil would be up to temperature and parts lubricated when he was ready to leave. He did this summer and winter.

Come to find out he was an ex Porsche owner, mechanic, and driver. Drove 356's in the 60's; one of which was a 356 Carrera. He said he would rebuild the engine in the kitchen of his apartment when he lived in California. He sold the two he had after a friend was killed driving a 356. You never know the knowledge a person has or their background until you talk to them. This guy was somewhat of an inventor/genius when it came to mechanical fixes. He was also a metallurgist.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:16 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 644 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
Porsche approved, at least it was in the 50s.
I don't know how these things weren't time bombs / carbon monoxide generators ...

Crazy old tech that apparently worked despite what seem like obvious risks today ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-912-1964-1968-Gas-Heater-Webasto-Werk-Benzin-Gasoline/302961268056?epid=2146403468&hash=item4689e61558:g:yvYAAOSwHLFa5H98

Last edited by peterp; 03-14-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply: The cure for cold start induced bore scoring