Sponsored by:

The cure for cold start induced bore scoring

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 11:52 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The cure for cold start induced bore scoring

After retreating to my thinking room, the room in which I don a smoking jacket and puff on a pipe filled with the finest of tobaccos, I had an epiphany. For those less than wise, and less than fortunate in our locales, who enjoy a bit of Porsche driving in the below freezing and below zero weather, the specter of scored bores looms like Harry Weinstein over a young starlet. The horror stories of piston slapping noises and oil thirsty engines are enough to keep one awake at night. Until now. My preventative cure is simple. Instead of just not driving my car, something a common peasant would do, I preventatively drain the oil after every drive into a surigically clean oil pan that I take into the house and put into a specially manufactured heating cabinet that keeps my oil at a tropical sixty eight degrees. When I need to hop in the car for a trip to the shops, or more likely to my job, I simply pour the oil back in, carefully inspect to make sure I remembered to tighten up the oil drain plug, stow my surgically clean oil pan in the frunk and head off into motoring bliss. When I reach my destination I simply jack up the rear end, empty the oil into my oil pan, put the oil pan back into the frunk (which I have fitted with a small space heater spliced into the frunk light wiring, and then go about my day. Now you may say this is a bit excessive, but I firmly believe oil kept warm will lubricate that engine better and help prevent Harvey, I mean bore scoring, from striking. Now we can debate thermal expansion rates and the like, but hey, warm oil is better than cold oil.

Also if anyone knows how to affix a snow plow to the front of 996, the advice would be greatly appreciated! Cheers fellas!
Old 01-15-2018, 09:02 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like a stupid idea. You only mention jacking the rear of the car up to drain the oil. Everyone KNOWS that the car must be PERFECTLY level (confirmed with laaaay-zuuuurs) to drain the oil - otherwise, now, you've left all of the metal shavings in the pan.

Duuuuh.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:05 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Care to share what you are really smoking in your pipe?
Old 01-15-2018, 10:41 AM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Pure genius. I’m so doing this. One question: where did you find your space heater? I’m having a hard time finding one that fits, and more importantly, one that is Porsche approved.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:43 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,669 Likes on 921 Posts

Reminds me of the new story where a guy tried to "warm up his gasoline" and burnt his house down. Guess you can't fix stupid.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:49 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

http://gph.is/1oqfHBs
Old 01-15-2018, 10:52 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

deleted
Old 01-15-2018, 11:20 AM
B-ran
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
Seems like a stupid idea. You only mention jacking the rear of the car up to drain the oil. Everyone KNOWS that the car must be PERFECTLY level (confirmed with laaaay-zuuuurs) to drain the oil - otherwise, now, you've left all of the metal shavings in the pan.

Duuuuh.
Shooot. I forgot about those shavings. Well, my car is 19 years old, so I suppose it’s no longer peach fuzz in the oil pan, but real, grown up shavings. Guess I’ll have to rethink how I drain the oil now...
Old 01-15-2018, 11:21 AM
B-ran
Instructor

Originally Posted by b3freak
Reminds me of the new story where a guy tried to "warm up his gasoline" and burnt his house down. Guess you can't fix stupid.
lol! You can’t fix me B3!
Old 01-15-2018, 11:41 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by jllphan
Pure genius. I’m so doing this. One question: where did you find your space heater? I’m having a hard time finding one that fits, and more importantly, one that is Porsche approved.
Old fashion bonfire works just as well and will save you money!
Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Porsche approved, at least it was in the 50s.
https://www.webasto.com/gb/markets-p.../luxury-class/
Old 01-15-2018, 10:02 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I know this is said in jest, and I get it. When I flew small piston planes in Alaska, it was common to drain the oil from the engine into a 2gal jug and take it inside to keep it warm. When we had to go take a flight, we'd heat the oil and pour it in the engine, rotate it a few times by hand and then start it immediately. Starting a very cold engine with cold oil is pretty harsh on airplane engines.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:15 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Originally Posted by docmirror
I know this is said in jest, and I get it. When I flew small piston planes in Alaska, it was common to drain the oil from the engine into a 2gal jug and take it inside to keep it warm. When we had to go take a flight, we'd heat the oil and pour it in the engine, rotate it a few times by hand and then start it immediately. Starting a very cold engine with cold oil is pretty harsh on airplane engines.
are there not block/engine heaters for planes like you can get on cars?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:45 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
are there not block/engine heaters for planes like you can get on cars?
Yes, there are various methods for keeping it warm. However, not all places had electricity close enough to the plane, and other places might have 4 or more planes tied down overnight. We couldn't all use the same power feed or it would trip the breaker. There are also pre-heaters that use LP bottle, or kerosene. Not all places had them.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:54 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Originally Posted by docmirror
Yes, there are various methods for keeping it warm. However, not all places had electricity close enough to the plane, and other places might have 4 or more planes tied down overnight. We couldn't all use the same power feed or it would trip the breaker. There are also pre-heaters that use LP bottle, or kerosene. Not all places had them.
Neat. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: The cure for cold start induced bore scoring