Sponsored by:

Steering lock "thunk" when shutting off engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 07:46 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 447 Likes on 284 Posts
Default Steering lock "thunk" when shutting off engine

So as the cold weather has frozen Georgia, the "thunk" noise made by the steering lock mechanism when turning the ignition key to Off hasn't been its normal self. The mechanism has been much slower to engage in these sub-freezing temps and I'm worried one of these days it might not engage at all, thus leaving the car in a battery draining condition while the engine is off. I've used some spray lube that's approved for key locks and electrical components and it has made it much easier to insert the key, but it hasn't really done much to the speed of the "thunk" of the lock mechanism. Is there a way to try to remedy this without having to take apart the dash and install a whole new key lock mechanism?

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:28 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,782 Likes on 2,157 Posts

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
So as the cold weather has frozen Georgia, the "thunk" noise made by the steering lock mechanism when turning the ignition key to Off hasn't been its normal self. The mechanism has been much slower to engage in these sub-freezing temps and I'm worried one of these days it might not engage at all, thus leaving the car in a battery draining condition while the engine is off. I've used some spray lube that's approved for key locks and electrical components and it has made it much easier to insert the key, but it hasn't really done much to the speed of the "thunk" of the lock mechanism. Is there a way to try to remedy this without having to take apart the dash and install a whole new key lock mechanism?

Thanks.
Try removing the key/cylinder by turning the key to ON, then use a paper clip straitened and push it very hard into the little hole below the key while pulling on the key. Then spray some on your lock lube down at the lower mechanism. If that doesn't fix it, you will need a new steering lock assembly.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:56 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Try removing the key/cylinder by turning the key to ON, then use a paper clip straitened and push it very hard into the little hole below the key while pulling on the key. Then spray some on your lock lube down at the lower mechanism. If that doesn't fix it, you will need a new steering lock assembly.
Thanks. It has definitely improved over the past few days as the weather warmed back up and after I put the initial amount of lube in it. I'll do your recommendation as well.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:01 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

I see two pin pin holes in the plastic surround and a larger hole in the metal portion next to the key slot. Which one are you referencing?
Old 01-09-2018, 08:21 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,782 Likes on 2,157 Posts

The one in the metal portion is the one that you will insert the paper clip after the key is turned to ON. You will need to remove the plastic surround , it just pops off.

Quick Reply: Steering lock "thunk" when shutting off engine