Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone use the Aero frnt bumper "boomerang"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 01:54 AM
996garage
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use the Aero frnt bumper "boomerang"?

I am currently looking to purchase a GT3 aero front bumper. I understand that it's recommended to buy the plastic lip to protect the lower portion of the bumper.

I've heard you can also purchase an optional "boomerang" device to protect the bottom of the front bumper. Is anyone familiar with this boomerang part? I've seen one other post on this in the archives, but I've never heard from someone ever installing it on their 996 yet. Does it really help if you bottom out on a driveway or dip? Do I have to buy it from a dealer?

Thank you for any comments...

Steve
Old 12-16-2003, 03:20 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

996garage,

Get the plastic lip, it is of great importance and will affect the aerodynamics of the car more that you can ever imagine that such a small piece of plastic could do.

It is actually not adviceable to fit the GT3 front bumper without compensating the downforce towards the rear.

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:55 AM
raffi
Pro

definitely get the plastic lip, costs less than $80. besides aforementioned aerodynamic benefits it also saves you from scratching front end. the lip can be repaired much easier than the bumper. it also improves the appearance.
As for the boomerang, I have never seen one being sold for the aerokit bumper, the one you have probably seen on ebay or performance products or these types of stores only fits regular bumper. Although I am sure some people have had them custom made I have never seen one for sale. still you can get the protection plate for the engine to help you if you bottom out.
raffi
Old 12-16-2003, 02:56 PM
996garage
Intermediate

Raffi,
Are you using the protection plate for the engine? I've lowered my 996 about an inch, so I was a little concerned about incurring damage to the underside of the engine.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:08 PM
raffi
Pro

I am not using a protection plate on my car as it is not lowered, I have no problems with bottoming out. I have seen alot of people with lowered cars use and recommend it, they are cheap so might as well pick one up if you are worried. Occasionally I will scrape the black spoiler lip under the aero bumper when I hurry out of parking lots. It is very durable though and does not show damage if you decide to leave it unpainted.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:17 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

I installed the GT3 bumper without a wing and was told you really will not feel the affects of the wing missing until you cruise at 120mph.

Old 12-16-2003, 05:26 PM
raffi
Pro

Hi guys,
Im pretty sure the thread starter was referring to the flat metal boomerang shaped piece that bolts under the front bumper and not the boomerang style wing(tail) that goes on the gt3 decklid. here is the boomerang at performance products.
http://performanceproducts.com/Produ...20&partnumber=

Kirby, with all the wind tunnel testing and research done there has to be alot of aerodynamic importance to having the rear wing, but if that is the case, why didnt porsche install a wing to go along with the new turbo style front bumper on the 40th anniversary. I really like the wing that would go with your car though. I have the older style aerokit and opted to not add the rear wing. I do not track the car and have never encountered any instability at 90-100mph. too scared to go anywhere near 120 after my license was suspended for going 102.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:17 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the part number to the plastic lip I am being quoted $22X from Suncoast
Old 12-16-2003, 06:33 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Raffi, re: the 40th anniv car, you'll notice that the lower lip of the front spoiler is raised in the middle, just like the C4s, another car without a fixed rear spoiler. This was done to compensate for the lack of rear downforce compared to the turbo.

net: the 40th car appears to be balanced f&r just like the rest of the cars.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:34 PM
raffi
Pro

996 505 986 00 spoiler

999 507 427 40 plastic screw rivets, you need 11 around 35 cents each

$22 is an excellent price, it must be a mistake. Prieviously the lowest I have seen them purchased for was $50, suncoast was $75 last year. I payed $100 a few months ago since it was on backorder at all dealerships and had no choice.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:43 PM
raffi
Pro

thanks for the info stiles, I had noticed the spoiler lip was different on the c4s and 40th compared to the turbo. I didnt realize that small piece made such a difference. So now, do you think since I dont have the wing on my c4 coupe that I am prone to instability due to the addition of the spoiler lip and further downforce? So maybe the answer to the initial question in this thread is that if you dont have the rear wing that it is better to not add the spoiler lip to the gt3 bumper?
thanks,
Raffi
Old 12-16-2003, 06:50 PM
996garage
Intermediate

Hi Raffi, yes that was the metal boomerang that I was referring to. Based upon the picture you posted to Performance Products web site, it looks like it may only be for the stock bumper. I seem to recall "By Design" automotive saying that it could fit on the GT3 front aero bumper as well, but the guy I was talking to there was more of a 993 expert vs. the 996.

I do plan on eventually adding a rear spoiler, but I'm not sure which one just yet.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:45 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Raffi, I'm not an expert on how the front lip is going to affect stability. It's obviously going to shift downforce towards the front as speeds rise (relative to the rear). This is opposite to the direction Porsche wants downforce trending as speeds rise (see the book "911 story" by Frere for some interesting data on this).

IMHO, it makes sense to do F&R as a matched set if you want to preserve high speed handling.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:13 PM
raffi
Pro

Thanks Stiles,
I am not too worried about stability as I do not drive high speeds too often. I was just concerned because I might be selling my car to a friend and want to tell him any possible dangers and to possibly advise him to add a wing.
Raffi

Quick Reply: Anyone use the Aero frnt bumper "boomerang"?