Sponsored by:

Transitioning to the track

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 01:48 PM
NickHolloman
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transitioning to the track

I am wanting to start doing some track days in my car. I'm a total newcomer as far as track days go and wondering what I should do to prepare my car for track use. Here's a little about the car. 2001 C2 with 103xxx miles on it. I've owned it since it had 88k and in that time it's gotten:
-IMS upgrade
-new clutch
-RMS
-AOS
-all new coils/ plugs/ wires
-all new rotors/ pads
-replaced suspension with factory plus H&R sport springs
-today it's getting new front wheel bearings and strut tops

What steps should I take to ensure a good track experience?
Old 11-28-2017, 01:53 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 623 Posts

As a beginner you don't need much beyond a car that is all up on it's maintenance. The M96/97 engine is prone to oil starvation so at least an X51 oil baffle, or better yet a deep sump is a good idea. Also make sure your engine mounts are good. Joe Gibbs XP9 racing oil is recommended but maybe not needed at first.

Get a good helmet. Driving shoes are not required but nice to have and you can get a decent pair for $100-150. A nice set of driving gloves too. I like Sparco stuff personally.

Other than that get out there and have fun! As you gain experience you can modify the car further as your skills dictate.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:09 PM
Bubrubb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with everything Nickshu said.

X51 baffle or similar at a minimum.

Long right handed sweepers can be particularly hard on the M96. Monitor for oil pressure drops in long sweeping turns during warm up laps, even if you install the X51 pan or deep sump.

Also, make sure your brakes are properly bled and your fluid is fresh. Braking on the track will create way more heat than anything you can do on the street.

I would guess this is the case based on the recent brake job, but I want to be thorough.

Have fun and remember, "Smooth is fast".
Old 11-28-2017, 02:30 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Upgrade to Motul 600 brake fluid and make sure you have the brake ducts installed. Invest in a motive power bleeder and genesis bleed cup and it's a very simple DIY. But only use the Motive to pressure the system, don't actually put the fluid in it. I didn't have the break ducts on for the last track day and brake fade is no bueno. +1 for the X51 baffle.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:40 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

The best thing to do for the track is to tighten up the nut behind the wheel; and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

To get ready for a big track and depending on where you are located, a AutoX in a large car park would be a great way to start. Learning the limits in a place where you can't hit anything or hurt the car is a great start to driving at (your) limit. Porsches, right out of the box, are ready for a day of racing, sounds like you take good care of yours; any good DE will require a tech inspection to make sure the car is safe.

POC and PCA have excellent schools, a day with an instructor will improve your skills and give you the confidence to tackle traffic and a big course. Which can be intimidating for a newcomer suddenly thrust into a venue where folks are towing their track cars; albeit that they are in more advanced run groups. Far more fun to get your feet wet when you can concentrate on having a good time instead of not F8cking up.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:48 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NickHolloman
I am wanting to start doing some track days in my car. I'm a total newcomer as far as track days go and wondering what I should do to prepare my car for track use. Here's a little about the car. 2001 C2 with 103xxx miles on it. I've owned it since it had 88k and in that time it's gotten:
-IMS upgrade
-new clutch
-RMS
-AOS
-all new coils/ plugs/ wires
-all new rotors/ pads
-replaced suspension with factory plus H&R sport springs
-today it's getting new front wheel bearings and strut tops

What steps should I take to ensure a good track experience?
There are a lot of threads about this topic on here, so try searching and you'll get lots of info. Bottom line is that you have already done everything you need. Just make sure you have fairly fresh fluids in the car (particularly brake fluid and oil). Make sure your oil level is near the top, but not over-filled. Listen to your instructor and take it easy your first few events; you won't be setting any records, so just focus on being smooth, learning, and getting a feel for how your car behaves on track, and then you can build speed gradually. OE brake pads and fluid will be fine for your first event as long as they are new (I run in the advanced group on OE Textar pads; they work fine). Same with tires; as long as you have a reasonable amount of tread left, any decent street tire will be great for your first events. Just be sure to take a good tire pressure gauge so you can adjust pressure between sessions; you will likely need to let a decent amount of air out of your tires, because they will gain pressure as they heat up from driving fast, and generally speaking as the pressure goes up, grip goes down. Put air back in at the end of the day for your drive home. A couple times throughout the day check your fluids, glance at your brake pads to make sure you have plenty of material remaining, and re-torque your wheel bolts.

Have fun and don't try to do too much!
Old 11-28-2017, 02:57 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 703 Posts

Want to know one of the weakest points? Mine blew again today, and I used a brass hose bib fitting. That's twice that damn thing has blown. This will absolutely ruin a track day, and a drive home from the track. Time for the Solution. I just ordered one. See Part 18 here, and get the upgraded Rauch & Spiegle Improved Coolant Hose Connector http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=104-10

Last edited by DBJoe996; 11-28-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:02 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Want to know one of the weakest points? Mine blew again today, and I used a brass hose bib fitting. That's twice that damn thing has blown. This will absolutely ruin a track day, and a drive home from the track. Time for the Solution. I just ordered one. See Part 18 here, and get the upgraded Rauch & Spiegle Improved Coolant Hose Connector http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=104-10
Link doesn't work. Can you provide another one?
Old 11-28-2017, 03:03 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Good advice about car prep on this board. Equally (if not more) important is to approach it with an open mind, a willingness to learn, and most of all......listen to your instructor. Don't worry about other cars passing you - everyone gets passed - it's all relative. Learn the lines and be smooth and speed eventually comes. Don't drive beyond your comfort level as your ability and experiences increases. PCA has great DE events with instruction for beginners. Most of all, have fun and enjoy it.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:11 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 703 Posts

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=104-10
??? Don't know why that isn't working
Old 11-28-2017, 03:23 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by David993S
Don't worry about other cars passing you - everyone gets passed - it's all relative. Learn the lines and be smooth and speed eventually comes. Don't drive beyond your comfort level as your ability and experiences increases.
Absolutely. Don't be the guy who goes over his head and ends up black-flagging the session for everybody by crashing. Nobody will be impressed, especially your significant other Here's a nice evening session cut short by somebody making a mistake in a big-hp car (go to 10:00 to see the results).

Old 11-28-2017, 04:03 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 623 Posts

+1 on better brake fluid. I have boiled mine on the track, not fun coming to the end of a straight and the pedal goes to the floor. I am running Castrol SRF which is the best one out there, but also very expensive. Motul 600 is cheaper, not as good, but as a beginner should be fine.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:50 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
+1 on better brake fluid. I have boiled mine on the track, not fun coming to the end of a straight and the pedal goes to the floor. I am running Castrol SRF which is the best one out there, but also very expensive. Motul 600 is cheaper, not as good, but as a beginner should be fine.
motul is excellent for just about every level of DE. If you are boiling that with even a moderately modified car, you have other issues.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:28 AM
NickHolloman
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of good advice here guys! I live in Birmingham so Barber is the home track. Ill keep everyone updated
Old 11-30-2017, 04:05 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubrubb
Have fun and remember, "Smooth is fast".
Hmmm... all I recall you teaching me was "in a spin, both feet in."

Quick Reply: Transitioning to the track