Sponsored by:

Question for 996 Cab Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 10:47 AM
exthree
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Question for 996 Cab Owners

What do you think about leaving the top down most of the time? Any maintenance issues that need to be addressed on the mechanism or canvas top? Should the top be cycled to maintain best operation or unfold the canvas? Any consequence to rear windows always down?

Thank you for feedback!

/exthree

2004 Carrera Cab Atlas Grey/Natural Grey
Old 10-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

I leave mine up whenever I can, never leave it down for more then a day or two. If you leave it down for extended periods you get creases in the fabric.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:00 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
I leave mine up whenever I can, never leave it down for more then a day or two. If you leave it down for extended periods you get creases in the fabric.
I park the car with the top up. Clean the top regularly and use a quality treatment and it'll last. I usually use the 303 cleaner and 303 fabric protectant. IIRC, Porsche recommends the Raggtop products. They're both good.

FWIW, on my car the top is down all winter while the hardtop is installed. I don't notice any permanent creasing when I put the top up after removing the hardtop in the spring.

You have a glass rear window, so temperature shouldn't be much of a concern. With the plastic window, you have to be careful not to damage the window by lowering the top in colder weather.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,020 Posts

You can leave the top down most of the time. I would exercise opening and closing every once in awhile. If the car is kept clean, the top doesn't accumulate dust or debris, and you don't get moisture in those folded areas, you are fine.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:40 PM
02TX996Cab
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I leave mine up unless driving with the top down, primarily so the interior collects fewer bugs and dust bunnies. Like KoB said those with removable hard tops leave the soft tops folded down all the time. (I do not have the hard-top.)

Raggtop cleaner and 303 protectant (applied with a brush) is the only maintenance it gets, and after more than 15 years the top is nowhere close to needing replacement.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:57 PM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends when I will drive it next. The mornings are around 60 degrees now so I will have it up in the morning. The afternoons are around 80. So if the next time I drive it will be an afternoon, I leave it down. If I don’t know when the next time will be, I put it up. Complicated stuff.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:32 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkFan#12
It depends when I will drive it next. The mornings are around 60 degrees now so I will have it up in the morning. The afternoons are around 80. So if the next time I drive it will be an afternoon, I leave it down. If I don’t know when the next time will be, I put it up. Complicated stuff.
I do the same. No point is raising and lowering over and over again.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:56 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 331 Posts

I'm not sure I understand the concern. I drive with the top down in the warmer months but put it up when I park because I don't want the sun damaging the 17 year old leather interior. In the Winter, the top is down for about 6 months with the hardtop on. I help the plastic window close properly to avoid creases and place a clean microfiber cloth inside the folds when I change over to the hardtop.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:38 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
...If you leave it down for extended periods you get creases in the fabric.
I'll have to disagree here. I park mine in the garage, and if I'm in secure location (like the parking lot at work), I leave the top down and just throw a cover over the seats. So, my top stays down 90% of the time during the warm months.

I have seen no ill effects from this over the past 7 years.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:56 AM
exthree
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by frisbee91
I'll have to disagree here. I park mine in the garage, and if I'm in secure location (like the parking lot at work), I leave the top down and just throw a cover over the seats. So, my top stays down 90% of the time during the warm months.

I have seen no ill effects from this over the past 7 years.
Thank you for that feedback. /exthree

Quick Reply: Question for 996 Cab Owners