996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Muffler bypass pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019 | 02:16 PM
Astro
Pro

Originally Posted by bull3t
Do you hear any rattles from the inserts when you're behind the car at idle?

There is a slight buzz when letting off the gas and decelerating. Most noticeable when the windows are down at slow speed. I've been wondering if this might be resolved by having the inserts welded in as opposed to just sitting in the pipes.

Do you have a stock intake? Did you add steel wool to your setup? Also, do you hear any rattles at idle when you're behind the car?
All stock, no rattles at idle for me.

Did you weld the caps on the exit and inlet side? Also, did you experience any rattling?
I didn't use the caps.
Old 09-06-2019 | 02:25 PM
bull3t
Instructor

Originally Posted by Astro
I didn't use the caps.
Did you experience rattling at idle?
Old 09-06-2019 | 05:35 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Do you hear any rattles from the inserts when you're behind the car at idle?

Do you have a stock intake? Did you add steel wool to your setup? Also, do you hear any rattles at idle when you're behind the car?

Did you weld the caps on the exit and inlet side? Also, did you experience any rattling?
Yep, welded the caps on,No rattles at all.

I did try packing some steel wool between the disc, but could really tell the power loss at upper RPM, then took them out.

You could easily have two sets of by-pass pipes, one baffled for daily driving, another for track full power !! You can change the pipes in like 10min..
Old 09-07-2019 | 10:45 AM
Astro
Pro

Did you experience rattling at idle?
Sorry, no rattling at idle, but there is a slight buzz when letting off the gas and decelerating. Most noticeable when the windows are down at slow speed. I've been wondering if this might be resolved by having the inserts welded in as opposed to just sitting in the pipes.
Old 09-07-2019 | 11:43 AM
bull3t
Instructor

Sorry, no rattling at idle, but there is a slight buzz when letting off the gas and decelerating. Most noticeable when the windows are down at slow speed. I've been wondering if this might be resolved by having the inserts welded in as opposed to just sitting in the pipes.
Are you talking about the same buzz that's there when you just have the bypass pipes installed and are decelerating? Or is it a completely different buzz?
Old 09-07-2019 | 12:29 PM
Astro
Pro

Are you talking about the same buzz that's there when you just have the bypass pipes installed and are decelerating? Or is it a completely different buzz?
I didn’t notice it without the inserts. And just to clarify it’s not the nice burble when decelerating, this is just a buzz more noticeable at lower speeds. The attached video let’s you hear it.
Attached Files
Old 09-07-2019 | 12:34 PM
bull3t
Instructor

I didn’t notice it without the inserts. And just to clarify it’s not the nice burble when decelerating, this is just a buzz more noticeable at lower speeds. The attached video let’s you hear it.
Yea that sound is present with just the bypass pipes, just a little more pronounced. I think you're good without welding them.
Old 09-07-2019 | 12:42 PM
Astro
Pro

Yea that sound is present with just the bypass pipes, just a little more pronounced. I think you're good without welding them.
So the big question is... what is the buzz from and can it be eliminated ? Probably bugs me more than anyone else because I notice everything that changes with the car.
Old 09-07-2019 | 02:42 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

I can't really tell, it doesn't sound bad but I am in a storefront with a festival going on outside lol. Could it be vibration or reverb from it being loud?
Old 09-07-2019 | 03:57 PM
bull3t
Instructor

So the big question is... what is the buzz from and can it be eliminated ? Probably bugs me more than anyone else because I notice everything that changes with the car.
I'm going to be adding steel wool and the plugs on my setup. So i'll let you know if it does that once I have everything installed.
Old 09-13-2019 | 11:56 AM
bull3t
Instructor

So I installed and tested a couple of different setups with the 3 disc inserts yesterday.

1. The first setup I welded the end caps and wrapped each insert in steel wool. I revved it up before taking a test drive and there was so much back pressure that the driver side bypass pipe almost came off. I tightened it up and went for a test drive. The sound was initially not bad, but once I got on it it sounded like a mix of a turbocharged car and a vw bettle. Kinda like a Jetsons space ship sound. It was significantly quieter and didn't drone, but the loss in power was huge. I went back to my shop, removed the welded end tips, steel wool and then I drove home with just the inserts.

2. The second setup was with just the 3 disc inserts. It sounded great, much better than without inserts especially when decelerating, but it was still loud and in cabin noise was still bad. I pass through an empty industrial area on my way home, no cars were around so I punched it. The loss of power was really bad. Once the revs got to like 5-6k is when it seemed like it would propel the car forward harder. It sounded great, but it had more bark than bite. Once I got home I decided I was going to try wrapping the steel wool back on and not putting the end tips. After my drive to work this morning I decided I'm going back to my Fisters.

Without the inserts the bypass pipes perform the best, but they are too loud for me now. I drove with them for 3 years and then switched them to Fisters once the California exhaust law came into play.

So today I'm going to reinstall my Fisters.

Have you guys noticed this loss in power? It's really bad at least for me.
Old 09-14-2019 | 10:35 AM
Astro
Pro

Interesting. I don't feel like I've lost any power with the bypass/3 insert setup. But I suppose without putting it on a dyno, it's all subjective.
Old 09-14-2019 | 11:34 AM
bull3t
Instructor

Interesting. I don't feel like I've lost any power with the bypass/3 insert setup. But I suppose without putting it on a dyno, it's all subjective.
That's true, but I've done back to back tests and the difference is night and day for me. When a honda civic is keeping up with you something is wrong.

I have my fisters on and it's back to feeling the way it should.
Old 09-27-2019 | 10:24 AM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Do you know how many discs are in the center of that motorcycle silencer? That could play a part in why yours was still loud. I'll keep you posted in how my setup turns out.
There aren't any discs per se. There is just a perforated tube in the center when you remove the fiberglass. In the pics above, I have the steel wool I was using rolled down off the end.

So maybe I should try the Car Chemistry setup instead. Which product snugly fits the Beluga pipes? I see several options at https://www.carchemistry.com/cc-inserts/
Old 09-27-2019 | 11:48 AM
bull3t
Instructor

Originally Posted by RSflared72e

There aren't any discs per se. There is just a perforated tube in the center when you remove the fiberglass. In the pics above, I have the steel wool I was using rolled down off the end.

So maybe I should try the Car Chemistry setup instead. Which product snugly fits the Beluga pipes? I see several options at https://www.carchemistry.com/cc-inserts/
I'll sell you my 3 discs (including steel wool) at a loss if you're interested, they will fit in your Beluga pipes. I paid $160 and they were on the car for about 60 miles. Make me a reasonable offer and they're yours. PM me

Quick Reply: Muffler bypass pipes?