Old 08-30-2019 | 07:00 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Any sound clips?
Old 08-30-2019 | 08:56 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tdcurtner
from seat of pants, with the three disc inserts, how much down on power and/or torque compared to the Beluga's by themselves? (i know, just a guesstimate)

Most likely looses a little power above 5500 with the 3 disc compared to running the by-passes with no baffles, hard to say and wasn't dyno'ed, but it's for sure stronger up to 5500 with the 3 disc baffles installed (of course this is "seat of the pants" assessment also)
Old 08-30-2019 | 09:29 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Do you like it with the 3 disc inserts? Inserts seem to be the way to go, I keep putting this one off.
Old 08-31-2019 | 11:24 AM
bull3t
Instructor

I've been putting off getting some 3 disc inserts, but going to make the purchase soon. My fisters don't do it for me. I prefer the bypass pipes, but want a little less drone and attention.
Old 08-31-2019 | 12:45 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

I have 997.1 Tuby Style headers. 200 cell cats arriving today and really want to drop the weight of the mufflers and get a more exotic note/sound. The smooth sewing machine sound bores me.
Keeping my cans stock will allow a quick reversal if needed.
Suggestions? Drone is what I want to avoid...
Old 08-31-2019 | 04:26 PM
bull3t
Instructor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I have 997.1 Tuby Style headers. 200 cell cats arriving today and really want to drop the weight of the mufflers and get a more exotic note/sound. The smooth sewing machine sound bores me.
Keeping my cans stock will allow a quick reversal if needed.
Suggestions? Drone is what I want to avoid...
I'm pretty sure your setup will drone with muffler bypass tips. You can try not installing the stock mufflers and driving like that, but I'm sure it'll be really loud and drone. Best bet is the disc silencers. Once you have the stock mufflers off, you'll notice a big difference in how nimble the car becomes. It's a huge difference without those heavy cans back there. I just bought a set of 3 discs and steel wool. I'll post a vid once it's installed.

Old 09-01-2019 | 05:26 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bull3t
I'm pretty sure your setup will drone with muffler bypass tips. You can try not installing the stock mufflers and driving like that, but I'm sure it'll be really loud and drone. Best bet is the disc silencers. Once you have the stock mufflers off, you'll notice a big difference in how nimble the car becomes. It's a huge difference without those heavy cans back there. I just bought a set of 3 discs and steel wool. I'll post a vid once it's installed.
I will be interested in hearing how this works for you; I did something kind of similar with the Beluga bypass pipes on my old coupe. I bought motorcycle-style baffles, removed the fiberglass wrap, and replaced it with coarse steel wool before inserting the baffles. The sound was still loud AF, IMHO, but the baffle approach does bring the decibel level down somewhat. As someone else mentioned, a positive benefit is that the car felt more nimble without the hefty weight of the stock mufflers magnifying the rear weight bias of the car.

Old 09-03-2019 | 02:53 PM
bull3t
Instructor

Originally Posted by RSflared72e
I will be interested in hearing how this works for you; I did something kind of similar with the Beluga bypass pipes on my old coupe. I bought motorcycle-style baffles, removed the fiberglass wrap, and replaced it with coarse steel wool before inserting the baffles. The sound was still loud AF, IMHO, but the baffle approach does bring the decibel level down somewhat. As someone else mentioned, a positive benefit is that the car felt more nimble without the hefty weight of the stock mufflers magnifying the rear weight bias of the car.

Do you know how many discs are in the center of that motorcycle silencer? That could play a part in why yours was still loud. I'll keep you posted in how my setup turns out.
Old 09-03-2019 | 03:33 PM
tdcurtner
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Astro
I just did this exact same system a month ago(Beluga Bypass Pipes with the CC Inserts). Without the CC inserts it was too annoying and loud, with the 3 disk inserts, it's great. Haven't noticed any loss in power.
Being desperate, but hating weight, i went for it - they came in earlier today, took about 30minutes to install from up back to ground, and man...this is awesome! Exactly what i was looking for. though i don't have a meter, i'd guess nearly 12db drop in overall volume (i'm a hobby musician, and do some work in studio) - i have tested everything but the uphill part throttle drone - i'll give my take on that tomorrow evening. It's no louder than my Rossion Q1 was on startup, idle and high revs.
Wow...happiness :-)
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019 | 04:13 PM
Astro
Pro

Being desperate, but hating weight, i went for it - they came in earlier today, took about 30minutes to install from up back to ground, and man...this is awesome! Exactly what i was looking for. though i don't have a meter, i'd guess nearly 12db drop in overall volume (i'm a hobby musician, and do some work in studio) - i have tested everything but the uphill part throttle drone - i'll give my take on that tomorrow evening. It's no louder than my Rossion Q1 was on startup, idle and high revs.
Wow...happiness :-)
Glad you like it
Old 09-05-2019 | 06:16 PM
bull3t
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
The by-pass pipes are too loud for Daily driving, installing some Car Chemistry 3 disc inserts got the db down to where I can drive past a sleeping Cop and not wake him up as long as I'm not deep in the throttle ..lol . It gives it a nice pitch about an octave higher and with an X-pipe 200 cell cats sounds exotic. This is with the Beluga bypass pipes and 2.25 inserts. I have a friend with some other China by-pass pipes that are a bit smaller pipe(metric) had to use 2.00 inserts and it sounds even better than mine, his is even higher pitch due to smaller pipe/insert and he also has the 200 cell cats with x-pipe.

Car Chemistry Insert (3 disc) installed into by-pass pipe

With end restrictor, the restrictor can be changed to smaller or left off for maximum DB

This is a 2 disc that I tried first, It was still too loud, I took them out and installed 3 disc inserts. The 3 disc insert knocks about 10 db off the volume
Where did you weld your 3 disk inserts into place? Also, at the end of the disk closest to the exhaust tip, did you cover the hole with the completely covered plug?

I have some generic bypass pipes, so I went with the 2" inserts, but they're way too small. I'm going to exchange them for the 2 1/4" inserts. Hopefully I won't have to grind them down.
Old 09-05-2019 | 07:11 PM
Astro
Pro

I didn’t weld my inserts in, just slid them in because they won’t go anywhere due to the bend of the bypass pipes. I left off the cap on the inserts but can always add them on if needed.
Old 09-05-2019 | 10:19 PM
tdcurtner
8th Gear

I didn’t weld my inserts in, just slid them in because they won’t go anywhere due to the bend of the bypass pipes. I left off the cap on the inserts but can always add them on if needed.
I did the same.
I got to drive past two days to really evaluate the addition. I am thinking now that
1) it is a bit down on power below 3k rpm
2) it has a tendency to be somewhat buzzy - sort of a (phonetic SHHHRRRRRzzzzzz as mid-throttle up steep hills sound
3) idle is awesome
4) full throttle is not too loud and pretty low end sounding - i think more like the air cooled 911 larger displacement sound.

Would sure like to get some dyno time to really compare. Though one can feel the heavy stock exhaust weight savings has anyone else done REAL testing of various combinations to see net power /tq changes?
Old 09-05-2019 | 11:34 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bull3t
Where did you weld your 3 disk inserts into place? Also, at the end of the disk closest to the exhaust tip, did you cover the hole with the completely covered plug?

I have some generic bypass pipes, so I went with the 2" inserts, but they're way too small. I'm going to exchange them for the 2 1/4" inserts. Hopefully I won't have to grind them down.
I didn't weld mine either, the 2 1/4 inserts fit realy tight into the Beluga by-passes, I did however drill three 1/8 holes and pop riveted the inserts in just in case.

I did use the solid cap on the exit side and the restricted cap on the inlet side, just to get the Db as low as possible.

My friend had some other off brand by-pass pipes, and the 2 1/4 inserts were too big for it , He used 2" 3 disc inserts and used a 10" piece of 2" pipe. The inserts fit perfect into the 2" pipe, then he welded the 10" pipe inside the metric sized off brand by-pass. It sounded great !!, About an octave higher pitch than mine, same DB total volume, just higher pitch. I'm not quite sure if the smaller pipe/inserts caused the higher pitch, or because his engine is a 3.4 to 3.8 conversion...But is quite a difference...
Old 09-06-2019 | 11:49 AM
bull3t
Instructor

Do you hear any rattles from the inserts when you're behind the car at idle?

I did the same.
I got to drive past two days to really evaluate the addition. I am thinking now that
1) it is a bit down on power below 3k rpm
2) it has a tendency to be somewhat buzzy - sort of a (phonetic SHHHRRRRRzzzzzz as mid-throttle up steep hills sound
3) idle is awesome
4) full throttle is not too loud and pretty low end sounding - i think more like the air cooled 911 larger displacement sound.

Would sure like to get some dyno time to really compare. Though one can feel the heavy stock exhaust weight savings has anyone else done REAL testing of various combinations to see net power /tq changes?
Do you have a stock intake? Did you add steel wool to your setup? Also, do you hear any rattles at idle when you're behind the car?

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I didn't weld mine either, the 2 1/4 inserts fit realy tight into the Beluga by-passes, I did however drill three 1/8 holes and pop riveted the inserts in just in case.

I did use the solid cap on the exit side and the restricted cap on the inlet side, just to get the Db as low as possible.

My friend had some other off brand by-pass pipes, and the 2 1/4 inserts were too big for it , He used 2" 3 disc inserts and used a 10" piece of 2" pipe. The inserts fit perfect into the 2" pipe, then he welded the 10" pipe inside the metric sized off brand by-pass. It sounded great !!, About an octave higher pitch than mine, same DB total volume, just higher pitch. I'm not quite sure if the smaller pipe/inserts caused the higher pitch, or because his engine is a 3.4 to 3.8 conversion...But is quite a difference...
Did you weld the caps on the exit and inlet side? Also, did you experience any rattling?

Quick Reply: Muffler bypass pipes?