Sponsored by:

996 Valet key?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 12:35 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
I have a spare pill from an old key to my car that was missing the internals (apart from the pill) when I bought the car. I now have two full keys and a whole bunch of key parts! I didn't realise there is a pill inside it already, I have a PIWIS but the dealership refused to give me the codes to my car
I see. Well in my opinion, and it's just my opinion, that since you own the car, and can prove it, and also own the equipment to program, if they don't want to give you the programming code, they should offer to program at no cost.

I can see them not wanting to relinquish the programming code for brand security reasons, like in case you sell the car and have a extra key blade you could steel your own car back even if the key had been deactivated..lol It was a common practice on used CPO cars to delete any programed keys(can be up to 5) that were not in possession, so the previous owners, if they keep a key, it would no longer start the car.

So anyway yea just swap the pill and no programming is nessessary.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:50 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I see. Well in my opinion, and it's just my opinion, that since you own the car, and can prove it, and also own the equipment to program, if they don't want to give you the programming code, they should offer to program at no cost.

I can see them not wanting to relinquish the programming code for brand security reasons, like in case you sell the car and have a extra key blade you could steel your own car back even if the key had been deactivated..lol It was a common practice on used CPO cars to delete any programed keys(can be up to 5) that were not in possession, so the previous owners, if they keep a key, it would no longer start the car.

So anyway yea just swap the pill and no programming is nessessary.
They did code my last key for me during my last service which was good of them

Although if the key grey head has a pill in it I might ask them to program it for me at the next service rather than trying to open it which seems to be a near impossible task! One more question for you, my car came with two key blades which are identical apart from one of the patterns being slightly longer? Both keys work to unlock the car and lock the centre console. I can't test the glove box as my car is oddly missing the lock and in its place is a rubber grommet.

Am I correct in thinking the longer pattern can lock the glove box whereas the shorter pattern can't?
Old 12-13-2017, 04:05 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

They did code my last key for me during my last service which was good of them

Although if the key grey head has a pill in it I might ask them to program it for me at the next service rather than trying to open it which seems to be a near impossible task! One more question for you, my car came with two key blades which are identical apart from one of the patterns being slightly longer? Both keys work to unlock the car and lock the centre console. I can't test the glove box as my car is oddly missing the lock and in its place is a rubber grommet.

Am I correct in thinking the longer pattern can lock the glove box whereas the shorter pattern can't?
If my memory serves me right, this is correct.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:24 AM
dan_189
Race Car

If my memory serves me right, this is correct.
Thanks, figured this was the case as most of the early key patters I've seen are short (no glove box!)
Old 01-17-2018, 09:43 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Was doing some reading and according to this site the extra cut at the top end of the key is a "generic" cut used by the ignition barrel? To do what i'm not entirely sure!? Is there some restrictions that the valet key possibly applies?

http://www.locksmithmag.com/news/vag-laser-key/
Old 01-17-2018, 10:38 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Was doing some reading and according to this site the extra cut at the top end of the key is a "generic" cut used by the ignition barrel? To do what i'm not entirely sure!? Is there some restrictions that the valet key possibly applies?

http://www.locksmithmag.com/news/vag-laser-key/
The HAA is the main key, the Valet key will have NAA on it. they both use the same laser cut, but the NAA key blank has a diffferent sides on it ( if I remember right the side is not cut back as high) and will not go all the way in on the glove box.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:50 PM
dan_189
Race Car

The HAA is the main key, the Valet key will have NAA on it. they both use the same laser cut, but the NAA key blank has a diffferent sides on it ( if I remember right the side is not cut back as high) and will not go all the way in on the glove box.
Interesting, I think all my keys have HAA on them so maybe my valet key was lost or possibly didn't come with a RoW car.

​​​​​Just on the glove box lock on mine it only uses the first 3 numbers of the key and is somewhat shallow to insert because it doesn't even reach the extra cut. I'll post a pic tonight

This is all for my missing glove box lock, good news is that a few car locksmiths I've called have the HU66 wafers so they can recode the used glove box barrel I have l. A new barrel is $600+ :s
Old 02-28-2018, 01:39 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Are there any instructions on how to replace the crest on the key fob?

Assuming its just stuck on there, any tips on getting it off and the new one on?

Quick Reply: 996 Valet key?