Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Covering air intake snorkel when washing your 996?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 09:44 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
issue with these cars, wash it until the paint rubs off...
Crap. I wash my cars a lot. Now you gave me something else to worry about.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:08 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

I foam and rinse my car with a 2000psi power washer....including the vents on the rear lid. I don't take great care about the angle of incidence with the deck lid, but I don't go crazy spraying there, either. Have not had an issue.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:08 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Well, he did have a Maserati Coupe prior to the 996. One of the 20,000 Maseratis produced allegedly suffered from hydrolock after a brief swim, so surely it's a relevant question for a rear engined car with an upward facing intake that includes a few dozen drain holes.

0.00005 probability isn't low enough for me, so I can see why the OP has opted not to focus on a precautionary rebuild fund & obsess over a theoretical black swan.

After all, people like shiny objects. And in car world there's nothing shinier than the fabled hydrolock.
I'd bet his was one of the "Hydrolocked" versions.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:25 AM
peterp
Drifting

Received 737 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by MadIrish
I foam and rinse my car with a 2000psi power washer....including the vents on the rear lid. I don't take great care about the angle of incidence with the deck lid, but I don't go crazy spraying there, either. Have not had an issue.
Thanks very much for the feedback. I think the pressure washer, or any kind of nozzle, sharply reduces the volume rate that water that can go down the snorkel during spraying because the nozzle spreads out the water distribution a lot.

The worst-case for water flow concentration is probably a raw hose without any nozzle. All of the "waffle" style microfiber drying towels strongly recommend using the raw house output for the final rinse, so that could end up putting a lot of higher volume of water down the snorkel when rinsing the engine lid area as compared to any nozzle. With the pictures from murphyslaw1978 and Ahsai, it looks like drainage is probably sufficient even then.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:27 AM
peterp
Drifting

Received 737 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
So I've never covered my snorkel... *ahem* nor have I ever put anything over my air intake when washing my 996. FWIW, I do have the knockoff 5CHN3LL edition commemorative wing in place of the standard pop-up panel that came on the car. This may affect my drainage.

I also live in the Mojave desert, so I worry about water all the time, however, in a different context.

It sounds to me that 996's that act up after a wash have more water and electricity issues than water getting inside of the engine issues. I've never read anyone on this forum complaining of hydrolock after a wash.

So I say - we're a weird, wacky bunch. If covering your snorkel makes you feel comfort after your Maserati PTSD; then you do you, man. You do you.
Thanks for the comments.

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
Dude, I mean, you called it.
Yes, I did call it. Too bad all the noise in this thread came from people who did not read or understand the first post.

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Ok, all, no more guessing. I went out and took the airbox out. Pictures tell all, but here's a quick explanation:

1.) Tiny hole to the left and dozens of holes on the bottom.
2.) Verify blockages by taking snorkel off (no tools required) and use your phone video camera with light to record video to see if there is any debris.

Bottom of '99 996.1 C2 stock airbox

Remove snorkel to check for debris with phone camera and light
Awesome. Thank you very much for posting this. I can't quite tell from the end photo, but it looks like there is a lot of space in between the air box surface with the large number of holes and where the air filter element hangs above it. This was the question I had after seeing the airbox layout in Ahsai's post.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:20 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My 996 intake self-identifies as a Maserati intake.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:22 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 593 Likes on 331 Posts

Guys...., call the Hardy Boys..., I think this one is a wrap!
Old 09-11-2017, 01:30 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Billup
I think it's safe to say we all learned something today in lieu of this post.
Yes, I need to stop reading the Internet
Old 09-11-2017, 01:36 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
lol. I'd jam snow down my hood scoop on the Rex. Was like spraying nitrous.

no it wasn't. Lol
Old 09-11-2017, 07:27 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Everytime I open this thread, I lose IQ points. Another 50 or so posts, eventually my IQ will be low enough to answer the OPs question in a way that even he may understand it. If not, I'm sure eventually we will have 100 more posts on why this is a complete non issue. Maybe by then my mental deficiencies will be sufficient that I can communicate on a lebel
the OP can comprehend. But probably not.

Yes folks, social media is making people dumber. This entire topic is proof.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:47 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
Yes folks, social media is making people dumber. This entire topic is proof.
Hi Anthony!

I've prepared a friendly summary for you in the hopes it eliminates some of the antipathies this thread has injected into your system.

Question & Answer on behalf of the OP's conscience (that ECU located behind the wall of self-righteous cognitive dissonance):

Q: Is washing my car dangerous as it relates to ingesting water via the OEM intake?

A: No.

Q: Does hosing down the rear spoiler area put the engine at risk of hydro-locking?

Q: Would spraying the rear spoiler area directly with a high output commercial pressure washer put the engine at risk of hydro-locking via intake ingestion of water?

Q: Would a sealed hookup of a fire hydrant to the intake snorkel while the car is running put the engine at risk of hydro-locking?

A: Apologies, but the moderator appears to have suffered a self-inflicted gun shot wound.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:13 PM
Audidude
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If OP had simply put up his hands smiled and taken early comments in good humour I think much of the angst would not have occurred.
In his defence some of the responders were a "little unkind".
Old 09-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

But what if you drive with rear spoiler up, at top speed in reverse, against the 150MPH+ wind, and in Hurricane Harvey level rain.

Do you think there is a risk of hydro-locking?

I want to cover all the bases and make sure this vital topic is addressed. If you have only stupid responses, please do not bother answering. I am looking only for serious technical minds to discuss this problem.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
But what if you drive with rear spoiler up, at top speed in reverse, against the 150MPH+ wind, and in Hurricane Harvey level rain.

Do you think there is a risk of hydro-locking?

I want to cover all the bases and make sure this vital topic is addressed. If you have only stupid responses, please do not bother answering. I am looking only for serious technical minds to discuss this problem.
To make your answers easier to understand and tally, and to minimize any possible side-comments which he may find objectionable, please mark your answer below with a Number #2 pencil. Thank you.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:24 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Dimmit Cuda, I just gauged my computer screen...Do you think my computer is ruined?

Quick Reply: Covering air intake snorkel when washing your 996?