Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

FS: '99 C2 Coupe 6MT with 3.8L FSI

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017 | 05:24 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

FS 3.8 Track Performer + must be a "sit down, buckle up, hang on and shut up" experience! Who needs AC? I live in NE where it gets to 100+ with massive amounts of humidity and hardly ever hit the "snow flake" button. Better with the windows half way down as brings plenty of air in and allows that sweet noise from out back in, as well. Turbo? We ain't got no turbo! We don't need no stinkin' turbo...not with THAT FS chunk sitting behind you!!?? The wife would kill me but I am thinking...

SLAK: Serious luck. Don't be such a stranger. We miss you, man.
Old 08-21-2017 | 05:36 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
FS 3.8 Track Performer + must be a "sit down, buckle up, hang on and shut up" experience! Who needs AC? I live in NE where it gets to 100+ with massive amounts of humidity and hardly ever hit the "snow flake" button. Better with the windows half way down as brings plenty of air in and allows that sweet noise from out back in, as well. Turbo? We ain't got no turbo! We don't need no stinkin' turbo...not with THAT FS chunk sitting behind you!!?? The wife would kill me but I am thinking...

SLAK: Serious luck. Don't be such a stranger. We miss you, man.
Dude! You ever heard of sweat glads??? Ever been in Atlanta in Summer. 1-2 minutes max outside and I'm dripping sweat..Shirt soaked in less than 10-15 mins.

NOT gonna drive a car to an event or date and being sweaty as hell.

Track days only, Well of course. AC not allowed anyway (on most tracks and most racing styles), but not in a car I want to go out in and drive to events and parties and such.
Old 08-21-2017 | 06:06 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Born in TX...not southwest TX. Besides TX, have lived in Southern IL, Chicago area, St. Louis, now NE. Been to Atlanta, Biloxi, Houston, Phoenix, Galveston, Corpus Christi, New Orleans, Gulf Port, Brownsville, Mobile, Shreveport, Tampa, Orlando, Daytona, Port Charlotte, Fort Myers,(all this sounds like a Johnny Cash song) Mexico, Hawaii and Grand Cayman...so yeah I know heat and humidity. You do know there are certain illnesses or physical problems that can cause excess sweating and heat intolerance..right? I'm just saying I've driven my coupe with black interior in +100f and over 60% humidity without the AC on and lived to tell about it. Was it as comfortable as sitting in my over air conditioned house? No! However, I still lived through it. We all make choices.

This car is a choice...a great choice. If it is too hot to drive it I have other vehicles I can drive with the AC blasting. Just my two cents. No offense intended.
Old 08-21-2017 | 06:45 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Born in TX...not southwest TX. Besides TX, have lived in Southern IL, Chicago area, St. Louis, now NE. Been to Atlanta, Biloxi, Houston, Phoenix, Galveston, Corpus Christi, New Orleans, Gulf Port, Brownsville, Mobile, Shreveport, Tampa, Orlando, Daytona, Port Charlotte, Fort Myers,(all this sounds like a Johnny Cash song) Mexico, Hawaii and Grand Cayman...so yeah I know heat and humidity. You do know there are certain illnesses or physical problems that can cause excess sweating and heat intolerance..right? I'm just saying I've driven my coupe with black interior in +100f and over 60% humidity without the AC on and lived to tell about it. Was it as comfortable as sitting in my over air conditioned house? No! However, I still lived through it. We all make choices.

This car is a choice...a great choice. If it is too hot to drive it I have other vehicles I can drive with the AC blasting. Just my two cents. No offense intended.
No offense taken. We're just two TOTALLY different body types.

I wear body armor for 12 hours shifts and have to be outside a lot of times and sweat my A$$ off. Not looking to do it in a $35K car...lol

I agree the car seems Bad A$$ but I'd need the AC reinstalled for sure.

Thanks though.
Old 08-21-2017 | 07:46 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the kind words guys. I've been really focused on work and competitive tennis(much cheaper than racing) lately but haven't disappeared entirely.

I never used AC in this car and so had the compressor out to save weight but there is no way I would try and sell the car without it. This car absolutely comes with AC. The only issue I know of that I probably won't have fixed is the cruise control didn't work when I bought it and still doesn't.

As for power, it is a huge improvement! I've only driven it aggressively once, with gnarbowski in the car, and it is up in turbo territory as far as quickness (less torque but a much lighter car). The initial dyno came it at just under 300rwhp but that will go up as the engine breaks in. There is still a few 100 miles left on the 2500 mile break in period so I haven't had it above 6k RPMs and have kept to driving shorter distances. But look at the torque graph throughout the RPM range. It is insane.

Name:  photo24.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  151.8 KB
Old 08-21-2017 | 08:19 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Impressive!

Does it still have all the emissions goodies? I have some friends here that need this car
Old 08-21-2017 | 08:31 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vitaminC
Impressive!

Does it still have all the emissions goodies? I have some friends here that need this car
It will. Taking everything back to stock, including the exhaust.
Old 08-21-2017 | 08:45 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

This car hauls major *** and is light weight by today's standards. The torque on that dyno graph is absolutely insane.

bulletproof engine ✔
early 996 ✔
no wait time on a fresh FSI 3.8L build ✔

Riding in this vehicle reaffirmed my decision of choosing FSI to rebuild my engine when it went caput. No doubt this well sell quick, but I would be interested to see what it would pull on BAT.
Old 08-21-2017 | 09:08 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

wow... nice!
Old 08-24-2017 | 01:51 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Here's a photo with stock suspension and the turbo twists.

Name:  photo463.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  1.06 MB
Old 08-24-2017 | 12:05 PM
spruden
Racer

Someone will get a fantastic car. Best of luck Slakker on your next ride. Did I miss that your track car is gone too? Been spending too much time with the air cooled crowd I guess.
Old 08-24-2017 | 02:19 PM
dblvanos
Rennlist Member

Best of luck with the sale.
Old 08-24-2017 | 06:10 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spruden
Someone will get a fantastic car. Best of luck Slakker on your next ride. Did I miss that your track car is gone too? Been spending too much time with the air cooled crowd I guess.
It's up for sale as well. If it sold quickly there's a chance I could keep this one. But I don't anticipate that happening.

Quick Reply: FS: '99 C2 Coupe 6MT with 3.8L FSI