Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: I have a perfectly good 1999 Carrera 4 and an awesome new small-block V8. Should I...
Do the needful and drop that bish into the 996. YOLO.
24.07%
Sell the LT1 in the Corvette, drop the new motor in, and have even more fun at the drag strip.
24.07%
Palletize and store the new motor and let time decide between option 1 and option 2
5.56%
Sell the motor and do something stupid with the money. Like find and buy back my 986.
46.30%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

V8 Swap into a perfectly good 996?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 05:47 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by numbah9
"In the long run, we are all dead." --John Maynard Keynes

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler approaches 1." --Mike Godwin

"Eventually, all threads are IMS threads." --Rennlist's 996 Forum
Good ones. I have another:

"Most people that have ever lived are dead. We are all just dead people that haven't died yet." - Louis c.k.

Back on topic, though, I still think keeping the flat-6 in place makes the most sense, followed by, "buy a Turbo," and then if the engine catastrophically fails, consider an LS engine.

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 08-24-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:49 PM
galwaytt
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stasha
right!!!
quit wasting time on a car that is appoaching 20 years, and with known insurmountable engine problems (or which requires thousands of dollars invested to ATTEMPT to fix a factory problem).
Get a newer model problem-free Porsche or other car that you do not need to tiptoe around, OR buy a real classic earlier Porsche.... not the inferior 996 that we spend endless hours on this forum trying to justify and defend.
"Get a newer model problem-free Porsche". Lolz, how I laughed. Given that 997.1's are even worse than 996's in the engine dept, that's more than a bit ironic.

[sarcasm] I may sound bitter, but my C2 Cabrio Tiptronic just ingested an exhaust valve - SEAT - in the last 3 weeks - but I'm not really. [/sarcasm] €12k to fix, and it's either that or dump the car. When was the last time you hear of ANY car lose a valve seat ? 89k miles, and minded the the proverbial baby.

Note the sign in the dealer service Department in GA last week. Irony doesn't even come close: I assume that starting their Quality Statement with a caveat is indicative of no confidence. I assume the engine is just one of those items which didn't benefit from the rigours of the R & D it esposes. Unless of course, R & D stands for Research & Destroy.

Right now any kind of motor that would tranplant into a 996 would be A Good Idea. I'll just go an un-mothball my 2001 Audi TT with twice the mileage of the 996, and is still better built, and run that 'til the engine is ready.

Frankly, if I could, I 'd just buy a complete Corvette, and crush the 996.

Quick Reply: V8 Swap into a perfectly good 996?