Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Which is best: IMS by LN or a DOF? or cheapest?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 03:04 PM
RunSpeed
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is best: IMS by LN or a DOF? or cheapest?

Hi all!

Hoping you can offer advice. I'm in the market for a 996 (1999 model probably). I may be replacing the IMS or installing a Direct Oil Feed system to feed the bearing (not sure which). Does anyone here have the pro's/con's of which way to go?

Also, I'm trying to price out which solution would be the cheapest to install/buy. Would the Labor for a DOF system be cheaper then the 3-4k ims replacement?

I'll be using this car as a daily and wanted to do autoX events as well as HPDE days with the PCA club. I'm not going crazy on track days, just for fun and will only be on street tires.

Thanks a bunch guys!
Old 07-25-2017, 03:12 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

I put in the IMS Solution (its an oil fed system) and never looked back. After reviewing the options I opted to put something in that will outlast every other part of the car and forget about it. If you see one in person, you'll be sold. The machining/materials/fit/finish/etc are on another level - this part is like something you'd expect to see in a formula one car, or the space shuttle.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:19 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

Cheap isn't always good, and good isn't always cheap.

How long do you plan to keep the car? I haven't read much up on the DOF system, but it's utilizing the current engine oil, and if it's a direct feed, I'd imagine that oil has to be sacrificed from another area (maybe if it's only marginal). Also, the IMSB is partially submerged in oil, so I'm not sure that directly feeding oil at it would change much, considering the LN solution doesn't utilize a direct feed system. I read in the past TunerRS claims the issue more on proper lubrication, but there is a lot of conflicting information to sift through, and you will get replys favorable to both sides.

With that being said, to me it makes sense to just do the solution and be done with it. Or even the standard kit ($800 parts?) has a 7 year warranty. The solution is lifetime. However, I believe the warranty is void when the car is used for track days.

Someone might have a better answer, but to me, it makes sense to go with the solution and move on.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:40 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I did the research on this last year and went with the IMS Solution based on a few factors:

- It uses technology / design that's been in place without issue for decades in the air-cooled and Mezger motors. Don't fix what isn't broken, plain bearings work.
- While I respect Pedro & the DOF work, I don't believe it adequately eliminates moving parts from the design. Simpler is better imo. The Solution truly is an elegant, simple design with a long history of success in other engines. All other bearings are wear parts in my opinion.
- I loathe intractable problems with tail risk. But I love the Carrera. In order to enjoy my Carrera I had to eliminate whatever tail risk I could, so I chose the Solution. I never worry about my IMS.. a rebuild may be needed for me next month or year, but I did what I could to set myself up for successful ownership.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:40 PM
RunSpeed
AutoX

Thanks a bunch guys for the advice so far. My apologies I should have given a bit more background. This will be a short ownership probably under 3yrs. I'm really just using this for short commuting (less than 5 miles) and the ability to go out for some fun track days on weekends. I'm not competitive and don't care if I'm last place. It's just a hobby while also learning how to do car control. Oil starvation I'm hoping won't be an issue at least for the first year. The only thing I did want to do was the IMS/RMS as I don't want to worry about it.

Absolutely correct, the cheapest solution is not the best. However I'm on a budget as most and I'm just looking for that extra insurance to help stave off a failure. I've seen some cars being advertised with a DOF installed and wondered if it's a cheaper solution to the problem. The LN Solution is way out of the price range. Also, I'm looking at cars that are around 80-120k mileage. I know there are many other issues with m96 to watch out for. Just trying to hit the largest problem first.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:43 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RunSpeed
Hi all!

Hoping you can offer advice. I'm in the market for a 996 (1999 model probably). I may be replacing the IMS or installing a Direct Oil Feed system to feed the bearing (not sure which). Does anyone here have the pro's/con's of which way to go?

Also, I'm trying to price out which solution would be the cheapest to install/buy. Would the Labor for a DOF system be cheaper then the 3-4k ims replacement?

I'll be using this car as a daily and wanted to do autoX events as well as HPDE days with the PCA club. I'm not going crazy on track days, just for fun and will only be on street tires.

Thanks a bunch guys!
Its a complicated issue, engineering is many different tradeoffs including labor and parts costs.

It might be best if you do some research yourself and also tell us what kind of money you expect to spend on a car, engine mods, what mileage etc.

No simple answer for this question.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:45 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Short ownership means some of the LNE retrofits would be more economical (it won't be you buying a new retrofit in 5 years). Had my purchase been part of a short term plan, I wouldn't have put the money towards the Solution. Good luck whatever you choose & have fun.

Trending Topics

Old 07-25-2017, 04:14 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might shop for a car that had its IMSB replaced not too long ago and you'll be OK for the next years. Just make sure it did not have its bearing replaced just now; somebody might have run into trouble and decide to ditch the car. Also you might go and find one that has a good maintenance history with regular oil changes and leave that bearing in place.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:37 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

I'm really just using this for short commuting (less than 5 miles)

M96 killer right there......
Old 07-25-2017, 04:49 PM
RunSpeed
AutoX

Originally Posted by billh1963
M96 killer right there......
Sigh... Yeah, I usually spend 10min warming up the car at idle before I go anywhere. Still it's a short distance however and it wouldn't be every morning as I'm able to take a bus or the Aston. Please don't kill my dream and make me get a m3 or worse yet a miata. Surely, with some preventive maintenance .5qt sump extension with baffles and rms/ims fit it should be reliable for some driving, no?
Old 07-25-2017, 04:53 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Sigh... Yeah, I usually spend 10min warming up the car at idle before I go anywhere.
This, stop.
The following users liked this post:
kenneth_ugalde (11-01-2019)
Old 07-25-2017, 04:58 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Sigh... Yeah, I usually spend 10min warming up the car at idle before I go anywhere.
That is not the preferred approach hombre.
larrygk (01-07-2021)
Old 07-25-2017, 05:06 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Sigh... Yeah, I usually spend 10min warming up the car at idle before I go anywhere. Still it's a short distance however and it wouldn't be every morning as I'm able to take a bus or the Aston. Please don't kill my dream and make me get a m3 or worse yet a miata. Surely, with some preventive maintenance .5qt sump extension with baffles and rms/ims fit it should be reliable for some driving, no?
Noooooo, do you live in a cold state? like new england? this is no bueno

kenneth_ugalde (11-01-2019)
Old 07-25-2017, 05:25 PM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I am also a new potential 996 owner and have wondered this very same question. I am not sold on the LN bearing if it is recommended to replace it every 50,000 or so miles. To me that is not a solution. I'd probably feel safe replacing with a stock bearing every 50,000 miles. And for those of us that don't track our cars I would not expect having to replace the clutch every 50k to facilitate an IMS bearing replacement.

My thoughts are that the stock bearing fails from galling leading to excess heat and eventually failure. How do you prevent galling? More lubrication than the factory sealed in grease bearing. Am I wrong when I watch the so called "bathed in oil" bearing in action spinning off the oil that is supposed to be providing lubrication? If the oil is flung away from the bearing under higher RPMs then we are just back to a design that provides less lubrication than the stock bearing. Sure, using a ceramic bearing can reduce the heat but, IMHO you have not solved the problem of proper lubrication reaching the bearings. My feelings are the only way to provide proper lubrication to the bearing is by a direct oil feed method.

I personally like the TuneRS Motorsports design.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:30 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MSGGrunt
I am also a new potential 996 owner and have wondered this very same question. I am not sold on the LN bearing if it is recommended to replace it every 50,000 or so miles. To me that is not a solution. I'd probably feel safe replacing with a stock bearing every 50,000 miles. And for those of us that don't track our cars I would not expect having to replace the clutch every 50k to facilitate an IMS bearing replacement.

My thoughts are that the stock bearing fails from galling leading to excess heat and eventually failure. How do you prevent galling? More lubrication than the factory sealed in grease bearing. Am I wrong when I watch the so called "bathed in oil" bearing in action spinning off the oil that is supposed to be providing lubrication? If the oil is flung away from the bearing under higher RPMs then we are just back to a design that provides less lubrication than the stock bearing. Sure, using a ceramic bearing can reduce the heat but, IMHO you have not solved the problem of proper lubrication reaching the bearings. My feelings are the only way to provide proper lubrication to the bearing is by a direct oil feed method.

I personally like the TuneRS Motorsports design.
There is no stock bearing as a replacement, just aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Which is best: IMS by LN or a DOF? or cheapest?