Sponsored by:

200 cel sport cats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 04:37 PM
moburki
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbug
Speedtech seems to be reasonably priced. I've no direct experience, but will eventually get 200 cell cats and they are at the top of my list at the moment
I'm very happy with my speedtech x pipe. Quality built (to order). No CEL. Nice change in sound. As far as install, it's probably the most painless exhaust work I've done on any car. Pretty easy. Get yourself an O2 socket adapter.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:55 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moburki
I'm very happy with my speedtech x pipe. Quality built (to order). No CEL. Nice change in sound. As far as install, it's probably the most painless exhaust work I've done on any car. Pretty easy. Get yourself an O2 socket adapter.
awesome, does the speedtech come with the o2 socket adapter? If not i assume they sell it?

im just worried about rusting of the bolts on stock cats.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:04 PM
moburki
Pro

Originally Posted by spreeleon
awesome, does the speedtech come with the o2 socket adapter? If not i assume they sell it?

im just worried about rusting of the bolts on stock cats.
It's a special tool available at any auto parts shop. Just makes easy work out of r&r of the O2 sensors. Google it for a picture. Here's the xpipe
[img]webkit-fake-url://962e0ad3-88d0-4fe7-a94e-deb34bf86d71/imagejpeg[/img]
Old 07-23-2017, 06:20 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

It's a special tool available at any auto parts shop. Just makes easy work out of r&r of the O2 sensors. Google it for a picture. Here's the xpipe
[img]webkit-fake-url://962e0ad3-88d0-4fe7-a94e-deb34bf86d71/imagejpeg[/img]

awesome thank you!
Old 07-24-2017, 12:39 AM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moburki, do you mind commenting on the "nice change in sound?" Speedtech advertises that their x-pipe gives a higher pitched exhaust note, but it would be great to hear a real-world opinion. How's the sound different from stock at lower revs (<4k), and then higher up in the rev range? Thanks!
Old 07-24-2017, 01:27 PM
moburki
Pro

I noticed a deeper tone at idle immediately. I am on stock mufflers still. Definitely more sound out of the car at higher rpms with the hammer down. I would call it a wail? Really nice to hear as the stock set up made no noise at all it seemed. However, I think the change would be more significant if I had my mufflers modded with bypass (fister or gundo). I have no noticeable change at sedate driving speeds, including highway. If windows are down, around town there is a pleasant "howl" if you hold gears just a little longer like 4-5 k. Summary: not a huge difference but a nice improvement over stock sound.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:26 PM
AndrewK996
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm thinking about getting the Fabspeed 200 CEL cats as well. Has anyone in California tried using 200 CEL cats and and passed the smog check?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:52 PM
gnochi
Instructor

If you're in CA and it's not the stock cats, you won't pass visual regardless of tailpipe sniffer and OBDII results.

No comment on whether cracking the cats open and replacing the element will let you sneak through.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:51 AM
sullyd
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed FVD brombacher exhaust: 996 sport catalytic set (200 cell), muffler sport quiet version,
I am moving to CA in a month.

This exhaust won't pass CA emissions?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:56 AM
sullyd
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to this exhaust because my stock CAT was rattling and failing. Since it was failing, I read on some forums that it would therefore be acceptable to have 200 cell cats. Any idea if this is true?
Old 07-25-2017, 01:48 PM
gnochi
Instructor

Unfortunately, as far as CARB is concerned, it doesn't matter at all whether the upgraded cats are good or not. The sniffer test is secondary to whether you have OEM or approved-aftermarket cats in the car.

It's a horribly corrupt organization full of morons *at best*.

While you're still out-of-state, I advise getting the cat elements in your OEM tubes replaced, on the off-chance you need to go to a STAR station after you move. That way you can swap cats and you'll pass visual.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:35 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had the NPP 200 cell cats on my car for more than 2 years/25K miles and they've been great. I have the crossover pipes, but they also sell an x-pipe. I bought through Maxspeed Motorsports.

Originally installed them with stock muffler cans and it added enough sound that I could finally hear the exhaust. Now I have Fister/PSE modded cans and it is perfect. No drone, just great sounds with the windows up (how is should have sounded in the first place). Sounds really aggressive with the windows down.

I don't have any external video, but I do have gopro footage from inside the car with the windows down at autoX last weekend. It will give you a sense of the sound type, that said it sounds so much better and complex in person. I may also have old footage with a bumper mic of the stock cans + 200 cells. LMK and I can post a link to either one.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:50 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by DeanClevername
I've had the NPP 200 cell cats on my car for more than 2 years/25K miles and they've been great. I have the crossover pipes, but they also sell an x-pipe. I bought through Maxspeed Motorsports.

Originally installed them with stock muffler cans and it added enough sound that I could finally hear the exhaust. Now I have Fister/PSE modded cans and it is perfect. No drone, just great sounds with the windows up (how is should have sounded in the first place). Sounds really aggressive with the windows down.

I don't have any external video, but I do have gopro footage from inside the car with the windows down at autoX last weekend. It will give you a sense of the sound type, that said it sounds so much better and complex in person. I may also have old footage with a bumper mic of the stock cans + 200 cells. LMK and I can post a link to either one.
thank you for info! Yes if you could please post the gopro footage from inside the car i would appreciate it!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:20 PM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed a deeper tone at idle immediately. I am on stock mufflers still. Definitely more sound out of the car at higher rpms with the hammer down. I would call it a wail? Really nice to hear as the stock set up made no noise at all it seemed. However, I think the change would be more significant if I had my mufflers modded with bypass (fister or gundo). I have no noticeable change at sedate driving speeds, including highway. If windows are down, around town there is a pleasant "howl" if you hold gears just a little longer like 4-5 k. Summary: not a huge difference but a nice improvement over stock sound.
Thanks for the feedback
Old 07-26-2017, 10:50 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

TopGearUK. Funny name, solid stuff. I have their headers and x-pipe with high flow cats on my 4S

Best bang for the buck

Quick Reply: 200 cel sport cats?