996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New Tires, manufacture date question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:12 PM
rolex11
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default New Tires, manufacture date question...

I'm replacing my rear tires. They are BFgoodrich g-force sport comp-2, 265/35/18's. These will match the fronts which are also BFG g-force sport comp-2's which are only maybe half worn.

Walmart, of all places has these for $188.67/tire. Tire Choice had them for $209.00/tire. I brief conversation and they matched the price plus all the usual other charges & tax.

I didn't want to use Walmart because they do not, or can not, road force balance them, so I'm glad Tire Choice matched the price...and yes they can road force balance them. Also, having Walmart work on the my car just seems weird, especially a p-car. Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, the tires that Tire Choice ordered for me have a manufacturer date of 2615 (26th week of 2015). Is this typical, should I get tires that are two years old?

My thinking is that it's fine since the first set lasted 12K miles and I put about 5K/year. So they would be toast in about 2.5 years which means they would be only 4.5 years when I need to replace them again.

I told him when he ordered them to make sure they had a 2017 manufacturer date. He assured me he would. But when they arrived they were 2 years old. So he called me to ask if this is ok. So I wanted to run it by you guys here.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2017, 08:22 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

Ask him if they'll knock a few bucks off since it's not what you ordered or what he assured you'd get. Otherwise, you should be fine if you accept them, others may think not.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:43 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

New tires should be less than 12 months old. The tires you are considering should come with a 20% discount 1/5 of their useful life (based on time) is gone.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:09 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not really possible to request a manufacture date from a tire shop. They just get what they can from the distributors.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:17 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

I think you will be just fine. I think this "born on date" stuff with tires is really a lot of marketing and hype that people talk about. It's more about how the tires were stored vs. the date if they are only 24 months old. If left in the desert, that would be an issue, but if stored in a warehouse with no direct sun and it was most likely climate controlled, no big deal IMO.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:29 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2 years old is a bit much IMHO. Got new tires 2 months ago, rears 3416, front 0717 (so really fresh!). He should be able to return them and get you a fresh set. On the other hand, they got you a good deal! So could also let it go, given that you will wear them before they get too old.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:53 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by stan23
It's not really possible to request a manufacture date from a tire shop. They just get what they can from the distributors.
It's really possible because he did & the tire store agreed. The tire distributor is smart enough to ship the oldest tires 1st. I have never been in or heard of a climate controlled warehouse for tires. I have heard of frequent sunshine in Florida. I would not buy the tires!
Old 07-22-2017, 10:51 AM
kbollaert
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
I think you will be just fine. I think this "born on date" stuff with tires is really a lot of marketing and hype that people talk about. It's more about how the tires were stored vs. the date if they are only 24 months old. If left in the desert, that would be an issue, but if stored in a warehouse with no direct sun and it was most likely climate controlled, no big deal IMO.
That's how I lost both fenders on my dually. Tires were in good shape visually, with no weather checking at all, and lots of tread. They were around 8 years old or so iirc. One blew out, took out the fender. Replaced it, figured it was just a fluke. Next month, the other side blew out, taking out the fender and the other tire. Tire shop told me that the useful life was around 7 years in service. (Steel belts apparently rust even though they're encased in rubber (!). Fast forward to this year, where I found that my spare tire had blown itself out while sitting as a spare!
Old 07-23-2017, 03:17 AM
rolex11
Pro

Hmmmm....Opinions all over the place.

Not to change the subject to much, but here's a picture of why I'm replacing the rears. Clearly the threads are coming thru on the inside of my RR on just this one spot. And when I say just this one spot, I literally mean this one spot. 2 inches in either direction and the tread is much better. It's almost like someone took a knife and cut it down on just this one tread island. otherwise the tire looks like it could go another 2 or 3 thousand more like the RL.

Wondering why so worn in just this 1 small place. I'm replacing both regardless, but interested in what anyone thinks issue is. I'm gonna have my tire guy look at it and see what he says

Funny thing is the RL is wearing nicely. Just a little more wear on the inside than the outside. Could probably go 2 or 3 thousand more miles.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2017, 03:25 AM
rolex11
Pro

trying to correct rotation...

oh well...
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2017, 09:56 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tire aging is not hype it's a fact. Tires dry out over time no matter how well they are stored. I have worked in a major chain tire shop and been inside a few more. I have never seen tires stored in a climate controlled environment, ever (except the ones in the show room). You think a business is going to spend money air conditioning tires?! HA!

I replaced tires that looked new just a couple of months ago because they were hard as marbles. The traction was gone, the road noise was loud. The new tires solved both those issues. It was a huge difference.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:44 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

the new tires you buy should be within 6 months, as far as Im concerned. You see that tire dealers, knowing all about this, still try to pawn off old stock for NEW price. I have sent several tires back from local tire shops when I saw the date, they returned with newer tires. They know the game.
deal with big dealers that move alot of tires, you get better products
Old 07-23-2017, 04:07 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by rolex11
trying to correct rotation...

oh well...
Definetly need a alignment, rear shocks may be weak allowing tire to wear more on some spots than others.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:07 PM
kbollaert
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kbollaert
That's how I lost both fenders on my dually. Tires were in good shape visually, with no weather checking at all, and lots of tread. They were around 8 years old or so iirc. One blew out, took out the fender. Replaced it, figured it was just a fluke. Next month, the other side blew out, taking out the fender and the other tire. Tire shop told me that the useful life was around 7 years in service. (Steel belts apparently rust even though they're encased in rubber (!). Fast forward to this year, where I found that my spare tire had blown itself out while sitting as a spare!
What you don't want to see when changing out a flat tire:
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2017, 04:37 PM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
Tire aging is not hype it's a fact. Tires dry out over time no matter how well they are stored......
This^

Tires are really inexpensive, compared to a quarter panel or front wing taken out by a shredding tire. Seen it, done it. Not to mention the safety/loss of control issue, it's just not worth the gamble trying to save a couple bucks..

Quick Reply: New Tires, manufacture date question...