Sponsored by:

made the mistake of racing a charger with a 396 lol

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 01:44 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
With 475 lb-ft of normally-aspirated torque, an 8-speed gearbox, and 0-60 down near 4 seconds, this might not be the best car to compete with in a straight line with a 996.

The weight difference (the Charger is 4,400 pounds...holy hell!) probably helped it seem like less of a slaughter...

lol ya mess with big dog... get bitten lol I jumped ahead of him for about 2 seconds. but once I heard him drop down he pulled forward pretty well. it was pretty much just a 3rd gear run for me. by the time I shifted to 4th it was 100mph and we both let off. he was about 4 car lengths ahead of me at that time. I have no desire to do 100+ mph. even 100 is more than I like to play around with. 0-60 is where the fun is at for me.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:59 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 91 Posts

A little fun is always nice until you get caught. I had a guy urging me to run one day in my Vette. Apparently he didn't know what that tiny lil ZR-1 emblem signified and thought he had a fat juicy C4 Corvette to pick on instead. As a very experienced drag racer I've beaten many more powerful cars in lesser cars. I can get a huge jump on the inexperienced. In a real drag race on a track I beat the same car I was driving except the other guy had a bolt on supercharger for a 100 hp advantage. I beat him off the tree and got a good launch. He spun badly. By the end of the 1/4 mile he was going 12 mph faster but I got there first. We had similar ETs but I had almost a half second on him in reaction time. I remember watching him closing fast in my mirror.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:28 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

where I live, if you're caught at anything 31mph over the posted speed limit, you loose your car for 7 days and an immidiate 7 day license suspension. You are also charged with "stunting" & all costs associated to getting your car back are on you.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:58 PM
twitchett
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts

Good Ole Ontario. I know someone who has gotten that ticket, and it ain't pretty!
Old 07-17-2017, 05:48 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Are there hordes of racers hitting pedestrians and mounties or something? I don't see the need for such punitive responses to having a wee bit of automotive fun.

The last time I was over 100 near a policeman, he was on a Harley & I was in a peloton of a 930 turbro, 944 turbro and my 350z. We didn't lift, and he pretended not to see us . I think it's even illegal or against the rules for a bike cop to chase people at that speed. Odds are way too high that the bike cop will die & the drivers will get away.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:08 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless your car is a 996 Turbo, the 3.4, 3.6 aren't fast in a straight line. A new Accord or WRX would give it a good run.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:17 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

No matter what you've got, there's always a faster car out there.

I feel pretty confident that I could take most cars in my 991 Turbo S, but every now and then I read one of those stories about a Honda Civic that weighs under 2,500 lbs. with over 1,000 HP. There's always somebody faster.

I'm not much of a street racer. There's too much risk involved in street racing.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:18 PM
gnochi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on business travel right now and I got a free upgrade to one of those boats (there are benefits to travelling 7 of the last 9 weeks).

I miss my 996 worse than I did when I was in a Chevy Spark. This thing can't fit in a parking spot, and god forbid you're trying to get *out* of a parking spot into a narrow lane.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:26 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

I loved my vette last year when I had but the one thing that always stuck out to me was how long the front end was. after a got my boxster a few years ago I was sold on these smaller more agile cars. thus the vette is gone and the boxster has a friend now
Old 07-18-2017, 07:44 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Are there hordes of racers hitting pedestrians and mounties or something? I don't see the need for such punitive responses to having a wee bit of automotive fun.

The last time I was over 100 near a policeman, he was on a Harley & I was in a peloton of a 930 turbro, 944 turbro and my 350z. We didn't lift, and he pretended not to see us . I think it's even illegal or against the rules for a bike cop to chase people at that speed. Odds are way too high that the bike cop will die & the drivers will get away.
nope. just a typical over reaction from our folks in power. some street racing kid hit some drunk driver in Toronto, and the timing of the FnF movies, we now have some BS law that makes the police the jury and the judge right there on the roadside where they confiscate your car for 7 days and suspend your license while they're at it.

it's done absolutely nothing in terms of making streets safer. $$$ generator.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:45 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ttt123
I loved my vette last year when I had but the one thing that always stuck out to me was how long the front end was. after a got my boxster a few years ago I was sold on these smaller more agile cars. thus the vette is gone and the boxster has a friend now
that is one of the biggest differences between a Corvette and 911: size. I'm going to pick up a Boxster eventually too.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:46 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
Good description of most traffic laws and their enforcement.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:20 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by twitchett
Good Ole Ontario. I know someone who has gotten that ticket, and it ain't pretty!
I know of 2, but both got the charges reduced.....but still...they lost their car for 7 days, had to pay the impound fee's to get their car back.

Its 100% BS.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:49 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
That sucks. Radar detector plus laser jammer it is!

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
Good description of most traffic laws and their enforcement.
Some US departments have focused on left lane enforcement, and I've seen behavior improve in my driving lifetime since '95 or so. Texting/phone use while driving is a big issue here, along with the usual drunk driving & teens doing silly things that get them in trouble. I'd like to see more difficult licensing requirements that prove a commitment to understanding the rules & ability to apply them. So many people seem oblivious to the rules of the road, it's an objective hazard.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:51 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
that is one of the biggest differences between a Corvette and 911: size. I'm going to pick up a Boxster eventually too.

you will love it!! amazing how different they are. the 911 is fun for being faster and more room so my little guy can come with my wife and I. but the boxster I think truly makes you make that argument to others about the "driving experience" of a Porsche. the boxster handles so differently and IMO the 5 speed manual feels so much more real than the 6 speed manual in the 911.

funny how to ME the boxster with all the body mods I made looks meaner and faster but I never get called out in it. I've had this 911 for just under 3 months now and even my wife has commented on how often I get revved by people wanting to race lol maybe its that taco wing lol
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: made the mistake of racing a charger with a 396 lol