Sponsored by:

authority 600 hp kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 02:53 AM
ken garchow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default authority 600 hp kit

i am thinking of buying a 97 twin turbo w/the autority stage 3 kit (cost the seller $50). my local porsche man says this is a strong negative.

he says the kit may damage the engin.

any thoughts?
Old 11-15-2003, 10:40 AM
msobota
Advanced

If you could post the specifics of exactly what the Stage III kit consists of on this particular car that would be helpful. The Autothority website is not up to date and the kits change year to year.

Mike Sobota
Old 11-15-2003, 12:37 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

600 hp requires lots of mods to an engine. I second Mike's suggestion to get an exact list of the modifications done.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:47 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Ken,

If you live in Portland, your local Porsche man better be Steve Weiner of Rennsport. Consider yourself blessed to have his expertise so near. Almost makes me want to move up there.

A poorly done upgrade on a TT can be a time-bomb, and repairs are REALLY expensive. A properly done upgrade can be a real hoot, and can be quite durable. 600 reliable HP is pretty tricky to acheive. Talk to Rennsport, and report back here.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:00 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ken,

Your 'Porsche Man' is very wise. Call Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems. He IS the expert in this area. His number is 503-244-0990.

Rick
www.993TT.com
Old 11-16-2003, 02:26 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hear, hear.

If Autothority did everything, the engine has received internal fortification and it will turn 600hp+ but if it's a "makeover" to the ECU and boost on big turbos, then it can turn 600hp but the torque will bend or break con rods, crush pistons and vent past the rings. Big mess. Expensive mess.

If the upgrades really cost US$50K, I'm confident Autothority is capable of doing a stout job. I don't want to disparage the tuner. It's all in the actual facts of the work done to the engine.

What people are saying on this thread is simpy that the 993 3.6 engine can turn 500hp all day, but going past about 520 requires a quantum leap in strength to deliver the torque.

You're going about this purchase the right way -- get advice and get the car inspected by a 993 Turbo expert.

As Mike and Jeff said, what else can you discover about this car?

I bought a highly modified car with just two days of research (after two years of experience as a buyer) and a thorough nut and bolt inspection by a local, trusted shop. Happily, my car is rock solid and turns 520hp on a Steve Weiner / GIAC ECU program.

Adam
Old 11-16-2003, 04:19 AM
ken garchow
Instructor

thanks, i have talked to steve about the car, that is why i am looking for another opinion. he didnt tell me the answer i wanted.

wondered if anyone has had or heard of problems w/this modification to help me clairify my suspicions.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:17 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Ken:

LOL,..Actually,...I did,.....

You just might not believe me,....
Old 11-16-2003, 01:04 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by ken garchow
... he didnt tell me the answer i wanted...
Then what is the problem. I'm sure the SELLER gave you the answer you WANTED.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks, i have talked to steve about the car, that is why i am looking for another opinion. he didnt tell me the answer i wanted.
What do you mean second opinion? When SJW speaks, especially about these engines, he is your first, second, third and ultimate opinion.

What is the matter with people on these boards anymore? Sheesh...
Old 11-16-2003, 02:32 PM
JimBob Jumpback
That's Bubba Guru to you

wondered if anyone has had or heard of problems w/this modification to help me clairify my suspicions.
Yall be wantin another owpinion an JimBob be hear ta hep yall.

mine ferst owponoin is dat kar gonna blow up.
mine sekond owpinion is day u is stoopid fer know lisnen to da firsted opinean.

Yur Fren,
JimBob
Old 11-16-2003, 10:31 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Ken,

Buy the car, and then come back here and tell everyone how wrong they were. Tell them that the car is great, and the power is wonderful. No one here knows what they're talking about. Go with your gut instinct. Buy the car, and then drive the heck out of it. Nothing bad ever happens to you. Life will be grand!

Is that the opinion you were looking for?
Old 11-16-2003, 10:48 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Hiya DJ:

LOL,...Ken is an old buddy of mine and I think he was simply looking for some other's experiences with the Autothority TT upgrades.

I told him my views on what they do, and how they do it and he's just trying to do his homework. He's a VERY meticulous, detail-oriented person who is quite thorough on his research.

Hopefully, someone who has or has had an Autothority modified TT will read this and offer their experiences; good and bad.

The car he is considering is quite special and worth the effort.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:35 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

I don't get it, Steve.

He's an old buddy of yours, but he doesn't trust your judgment? Maybe he knows you much better than the rest of us do...
Old 11-17-2003, 02:38 AM
RL Technical Advisor

LOL,....Good point.

Everyone in this world is different as you know, and some people fall under the heading of "Doubting Thomases",.... Some folks hear the siren song of many others and this is the one bad side of the Internet and places like these. I tell my customers and friends that "too many chef's spoils the dish" and at some point one must simply pick who you trust and listen to that individual.

I've always helped people (with no strings attached), based on my experiences, to everyone who calls or e-mails me but not everyone follows that sound & objective advice. I cannot help that, you know,......

In some cases, I've sadly witnessed some folks "implode" by ignoring that information and spending some unecessary monies after the fact by listening to many "experts".

All I can do is try, and after that,....its Caveat Emptor.

Quick Reply: authority 600 hp kit