Sponsored by:

Out of hibernation time

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 02:39 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Out of hibernation time

OK here's an overly neurotic concern. It's about time to take the 993 turbo out of its winter slumber and the thought had occurred to me..... i'm using this vtwin 2050 mobil 1 oil. I'm wondering if it's cold flow viscosity is a concern.

in the Northeast ill still drive her till they start putting salt on the road so that could be sometimes into December and now again in the spring when the roads are dry

but a lot of times I could be starting her in 30° Fahrenheit weather. Probably OK ? Or marginally OK ? Wonder if I should buy one of those cheapie heating pads and stick it to the oil pan. But that probably won't work because it probably gets oil first from the dry sump behind the rear wheel so that's inconveniently inaccessible

any concern or non-issue for adequate oiling upon start up in cold ambient temperatures with 2050 vtwin oil.

thanks

joe
Old 04-07-2017, 07:10 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

What is the concern if you see immediate oil pressure after firing it up? I see my oil Temp gauge move after 1 -2 min of idling to support oil pressure reading.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:39 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Yeah I know but I start scaring myself with late night you tube viewing stuff like this:

Old 04-07-2017, 09:08 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

You can always pull the DME to build pressure off the starter turning the engine.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:58 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 280 Posts

^
Old 04-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

I may be as thick as the oil but I don't understand that. The computer?
Old 04-07-2017, 04:52 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

I was not able to find it but there is a table showing the operating temperature ranges and as I recall the lower end for V Twin was - 10 F or C. Can't remember which but either is way colder than we would ever start 'em up.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:46 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

A good practice which I have been preaching for years is to, especially when the car is in storage and sitting for a long time, is to pull the DME relay (its in the trunk fuse panel) which shuts off the fuel injectors and ignition, but still allows you to turn over the engine. You now can pump/squirt/splash some oil through the engine, and reposition the pistons/cams without a heat cycle that would happen if you started the car.

If the car has been sitting for say a week, I do the same procedure, pull the relay, crank until oil pressure, restore the relay and then start.

Another good practice is to start the car in neutral, clutch out. This offloads the main crankshaft bearing supporting the clutch since the clutch is not engaged. Why is this good? Well, on startup there is no oil pressure to lubricate/float this bearing, so putting a load on that bearing and starting the engine can cause more wear that starting the engine when the gearbox is in neutral and the clutch is out.

You might need to disable your clutch interlock switch if your car has one.

Cheers

Mike
Old 04-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

As always thanks for sound advice Mike...will do all going forward.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:16 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
A good practice which I have been preaching for years is to, especially when the car is in storage and sitting for a long time, is to pull the DME relay (its in the trunk fuse panel) which shuts off the fuel injectors and ignition, but still allows you to turn over the engine. You now can pump/squirt/splash some oil through the engine, and reposition the pistons/cams without a heat cycle that would happen if you started the car.

If the car has been sitting for say a week, I do the same procedure, pull the relay, crank until oil pressure, restore the relay and then start.

Another good practice is to start the car in neutral, clutch out. This offloads the main crankshaft bearing supporting the clutch since the clutch is not engaged. Why is this good? Well, on startup there is no oil pressure to lubricate/float this bearing, so putting a load on that bearing and starting the engine can cause more wear that starting the engine when the gearbox is in neutral and the clutch is out.

You might need to disable your clutch interlock switch if your car has one.

Cheers

Mike
Mike, approx how long do you crank with Dme out, before you see some oil pressure?
Old 04-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If its just sitting there, usually only a few seconds to oil pressure. I usually let it crank for say 5-10 seconds.

If an oil change and you need to prime the filters/circuits before starting, 30 seconds (one in 3 10 second bursts). This one is important, since you do not want to start and wait until the oil pushes any introduced air out of the system.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Default Did my own test ......this is kind of shocking

impressive v-twin
Old 04-15-2017, 02:32 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Not sure why that is shocking? Its 5W vs 20W.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:12 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

If you look at ALL the spooky videos on you tube they depict 20w-50 as practically solid at freezing; some show it not pouring at all. My video shows it pours nearly as well as the supposed much thinner oil...lil shocking in a good way tho.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:55 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

Yes and that's 0F which is about -17C. At these temps my baby's sound asleep. I never start my car below +4C.

Quick Reply: Out of hibernation time