Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts
Angry Its the clutch

Well I have had the car for 5 days. My clutch on its way
out. I was on my way to the porsche dealer and
I did a bunch of tests and no doubt its the clutch. It got
worse over the 200 miles. I went the the dealer in
Bakersfield and the lead mechanic said it was slipping.
2.2K at Porsche. I have a friend who is a certified
Toyota mechanic with a professional full lift
in his shop. Is this something a professional mechanic
could do with my assistance. He would charge me
some small amount and I could learn too. Or do I leave this
for a Porsche mechanic?
Old 09-26-2003, 08:56 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect opportunity for a lightweight flywheel and single clutch... Bummer, or yeah whichever you choose. I'd try to find someone that has at least seen a Porsche before... Too bad you are not up here, it would have made for a good DIY. I plan to do mine in a few months.

Bob
Old 09-26-2003, 08:56 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm about to do mine at a friends shop in a week. I don't see why a good mechanic wouldn't be able to handle the task with the proper shop manual and tools.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:03 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bob, before my buddy went to all those toyota schools
he was a floor mechanic at porsche in Bakersfield.
but he only went up to early 964's. I have done mine
on my old 914 but that was 15 years ago. Do you think
we could do it and can you recommend the manuals?
Tools arent a problem unless there specialized ones
I remember a clutch alignment tool on my 914.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:29 PM
antcee
Intermediate

OG,
I have been bringing my car to the same dealer in Bakersfield and have been very pleased with the work Dennis has done on my 96 993TT. I fully trust his work.
Tony
Old 09-26-2003, 10:55 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

OG,

I'm so sorry for you. You've been so excited with this car; we've all been enjoying your thrill. I know that you've been impressed with Richard Sloan, and the transaction for the sale of the car. Let's hope that he is the "menche" that you think he is, and stands behind his cars. After all, it was obviously shipped to you with a defective clutch after being promised to be in perfect condition (I believe that he told you that the clutch was brand new?). I'm just really disappointed for you, and I hope that Richard will make this right. Keep us posted.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:09 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Hmmmmm. Something just hit me. Hey Old Guy, did you run a Carfax on this? Was there anything about a registration in NH? If you did not run a carfax, and you might want to sell your car, I have a carfax account which I could use to check you vehicle out for my own purposes of evaluating it.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:25 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bob , I sent you a PM and an email.
Paul G
Old 09-27-2003, 12:08 AM
krish
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

OG,

I just had a prob. with my clutch as well which might/might not help. My clutch suddenly let go once at high speed after which I noted the pedal was really high before the clutch engaged. Thought the high pedal was the result of a blown clutch but it happened so fast I didn't really know which came first.

I took the opportunity to throw in a RS flywheel with a GT2 clutch and PP (hey if you're going to fix it you might as well upgrade right?? ) but when I took the car from the shop the pedal was still high, virtually on the edge of slipping. Checked the old clutch and PP and wear was very moderate. After much toing and froing (with a call to Steve W. from Rennsport thrown in) the fault was narrowed down to a 'seizing' clutch slave cylinder! You might want to check this first as to do a clutch job on these cars means dropping the engine/transmission assembly. Talk to Steve W. if you can, his advice was invaluable to me.

Best of luck,

cheers,
Kris
'97 993tt
'89 535I
Old 09-27-2003, 02:01 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed it could be the hydraulics. What's the miles on the car? Under 25K and I'd guess the clutch itself is fine and it failing so promptly is a question to put to the previous owner (using letters cut from newspapers and magazines, pasted onto a blank page, wrapped around a large brick and thrown through his bedroom window at 3:00am ... but that's just my approach ... ymmv ...)
I think $2200 for a clutch is steep, even by Silicon Valley Tax standards. They pull the exhaust cans off and then barely drop the engine six or ten inches and rest it on a stand, then crack the transmission and they're done in half a day. Visit the local Porsche dealer service shop every day for a week (as if you were expecting your Boxster back under warranty work but it's always delayed another day ... don't ask me how I know this happens ...) and you'll see them doing a 993 clutch on a 30K miles car (very common in '99) and they don't follow the standard procedure. Of course, if you can avoid fully removing the engine, it saves maybe four hours of work, but you can still bill those hours to the customer or factory warranty according to the factory time estimates, so this is a killling. A service manager saying "clutch replace" must have been the Porsche dealer equivalent of "cha-ching!"

Anyway, I'm very sorry this turned out poorly to start. In a few months you'll have forgotten about it and you'll have a lightweight flywheel and clutch for your troubles (something I wish I had...) and you should take some of the cost out of the previous owner.

Cheers,
Old 09-27-2003, 01:06 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Rats! We kinda thought your 3rd gear spinning of all 4 was too good to be true.
Light weight clutch and Flywheel time.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:08 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default I did talk to steve

Guys Steve (Rennsport) was the first guy I called and
it was the first time I talked to him and he
was very gracious. He truly felt my pain
and it made me feel good that he is on our
side. I want to buy the upgrade from him and
do a DIY ME (mechanics education) so we'll see.

So Viper BOB check your email.

thanks again Steve and Bob!
Bob was the second to get ahold of me
and offer support.
(Acutally Steve O.F.E. was the first guy i called but
I was doing that BEFORE i got the car!)
Old 09-27-2003, 05:02 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Paul:

Happy to help, anytime.

If your mechanic is familiar with the 964's, are VERY careful about the R&R process, have the Factory manuals, you'll have no issues with this project if you take your time. Common rookie mistakes are due to electrical and vacuum connections as these engines are quite complex and unforgiving.

I use the LWF kit with the GT-2 PP and disc for much improved durability. Clutch longevity is all in the hands (and feet) of the owner.

FWIW, changing a clutch in these AWD cars requires engine removal; 2WD cars are much easier as one simply lowers or removes the tranny and the engine stays in place. This might account for the quote you received from your dealer.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:28 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old Dude, check with the seller of the car and verify the clutch condition when he put it on the transporter. As I mentioned in this thread a guy posted his transporter experience on another forum. It was a turbo awd car as well (Audi S4). Those just cannot put up with idiotic abuse, and I have read many times on various forums of transporter drivers going for joyrides in high dollar high performance cars. I don't know if there's any way the ecu might have recorded abuse but if the dealer can pull it up, you'd have some documentation to use against the transport company.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:09 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally posted by krish
OG,

I noted the pedal was really high before the clutch engaged.

I need a little advice. My 993tt has 47K miles and the clutch seems to release very high on the pedal. I have had other Porsches and the clutch release is low in the travel of the pedal.

I took it to the Porsche dealership and was told the clutch was fine.

Any words of wisdom?

Quick Reply: Its the clutch