Sponsored by:

Its the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 12:35 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Jim,

Same with me. My car (58,000 miles) releases high in the travel, but the clutch works fine. Am I on borrowed time? Do I need to start shopping for that LWF/clutch ***'y?
Old 10-01-2003, 04:36 PM
SLVR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

IMHO, I don't think that the clutch engagement point in the travel is necessarily a definitive indicator that you are about to part with a lot of money.... There are more factors to it.

My C4S engaged kind of highish when I bought, drove it for 4000 miles. Still engaged the same and no sign of slippage. It only had 25k on it when it left and I am pretty sure it was not about to fall apart, the car was really babied by the POs.

What I am puzzled by is the assumption that one truck driver in a a few hours can kill a clutch. Remember, he's used to working a clutch the entire day. I would think Porsche engineered it well enough to withstand some hectic use and even moderate abuse. (I exclude 5000 rpm drop clutch starts here, that I am sure can do a clutch in quickly).

On the other hand a poor driver can probably murder the rotational damper in a matter of weeks or months which would in the lightly longer term cause problems.

Just my 2c.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:55 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

First of all the trucker was Intercity and they have a great
rep. Second of all on Pigs advice I checked the Odo. when(via phone)
they loaded the car and it was the same when it showed up
Old 10-01-2003, 05:20 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Clutch replacement

Guys:

I replaced my clutch at 26kmiles. Not because it was slipping, but because it just doesn't engange "nicely". Mostly because I wanted the LWF.

However when I was shown my old clutch/flywheel/pressure plate, you can clearly see that the mating surface between the pressure plate and the clutch is not flat anymore. The pressure plate is actually looking kinda concave due the use/time. As a result when the clutch plate initially contact the plate, they will contact first on the outside part of the plate instead of the whole surface at the same time. This is the cause of this not "nicely" feeling during clutch engangement. Actually there is still significant amount of friction material on the plate. Clutch slave was also replaced at that time (due to slight leaking).

First time using the car with the new clutch will feel that the clutch engange immediately (low), positively/nicely (due to the new flat contact surface) and very light action compared to before the replacement.

HTH,
Old 10-01-2003, 06:58 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Pram,

Great info. My clutch engagement feels "fine", but I don't have anything to compare it to (well, I can try Scott Mellors LWF assy). My clutch action is already very light, but I'm comparing it to my Mustang Cobra, which is pretty heavy. Any other comments on the switch to the LWF assy? I've heard about increased gear rattle when stopped, and easier engine stall (on NA motors). What's your experience?
Old 10-01-2003, 07:22 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default LWF

Steve:

My LWF is actually the hybrid LWF from Andial. I believe Andial add some weight to the lightened flywheel so as not to have too many problem with engine stalling. Anyway, the rattle is actually on lower gear (2nd and a little in 1st) at lower rpm and once the tranny oil is already warm/hot. Not that noticeable on my car due to the already louder Techart muffler and sport cats. No tranny sound when stopped.

Helps acceleration in lower gears. I wouldn't go back to the dual mass!

Last edited by PramTT; 10-01-2003 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:39 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Steve you can try min....... oh wait I dont have a clutch.
Seriously when I get it back you see what a new
stock one feels like when we get together. I
still have not sent off those 2 disks yet.
Will do soon.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:05 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

OG,

Don't sweat those CDs. This may make you feel worse, rather than better, but there is a canyon cruise scheduled for Oct 12th. If you can get yourself down near me, you'd be welcome to ride along. Dang, I wish your clutch was working!
Old 10-01-2003, 08:54 PM
krish
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Jim,

Could be a wearing clutch or as in my case a seizing slave cylinder. As I recall, my clutch would engage about halfway through the travel of the pedal.

cheers,
Kris
'97 993tt
'89 535I
Old 10-02-2003, 07:43 AM
CS2CC6
Instructor

Cool

I am new to Rennlist. recently bought a '97 993TT (20K mi) and is experiencing the same high clutch problem.... (never had the problem with my previous RS America) Probably it is a good excuse for the LFW assembly.
Two questions:
1) I have an "European" model 993TT, would the LFW kit from the U.S. fit?
2) What combanation do you guys recommend?? I have heard good things abt the Andial kit. Open to all suggestion!

thanks,
CC6
Old 10-02-2003, 10:01 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

CC6

Welcome. TEll us about your car.. Here are some answers to your questions

1) Yes the you can get the LWF for your car
2) Most people go with Light flywheel and the GT2 clutch / PP setup. The Andial flywheel is an intermediate weight unit. Lighter than stock, not as light as the other units available. You can contact some of our board sponsors like Steve at Rennsport Systems ( www.rennsportsystems.com ) or Stephen at Imagine Auto ( www.imagineauto.com )

Where are you located? If you get a chance, post some pictures.

Bob
Old 10-02-2003, 03:01 PM
CS2CC6
Instructor

Bob,
thanks for your help! I'll definitely check with Steve and Stephen.
I am located in Taiwan. Will be visiting LA and SF in November. Thinking of ordering the LWF kit now so that I'll be able to enjoy them in November.

I'll try to post some photos once I get my digital camera to talk to my computer

my 993 TT is Silver/Blk, all stock. It does have the "s" update though with the additional oil cooler in front. According to the previous owner, this car is suppose to have 430HP, is this true? It certainly feels like it though.... Can you tell me a little more about this "update"? much appreciated!

Other than the clutch is engaging a bit high, the car is running great!! You think changing the clutch would solve this problem?

And BTW, how do I edit my signature?
Thanks!

'97 993 TT
'02 BMW X5 4.4
Old 10-02-2003, 06:06 PM
KeithR3
Pro

OG,

Next time get a tip...or pick me up and I'll teach you how to properly drive your TT Beast! ;+
Old 10-02-2003, 07:41 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Keith if I wanted a automatic I would have
got a Lexus like my wifes!
Old 10-02-2003, 09:21 PM
krish
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi CC6,

I think I have (had!) The same spec car !. Mine is a EU '97 Silver/grey with the 430Hp upgrade. All this is, is a ECU change and the additional oil cooler (a good to have item esp if you're planning further upgrades). Did yours come with the 'S' lip? Mine didn't. I have since added the 'S' lip, a set of K-24s and some other stuff. Your clutch question, yes the US available LWF will definitely fit. I just picked mine up from Steve at Rennsport which was the LWF, the GT2 PP and disc and had that installed, no problems. I had some reservations about the LWF with regards to driveability issues but after having fitted it can report no problems and an absolute blast to drive !

cheers,
Kris
'97 993tt
'89 535I

Quick Reply: Its the clutch