Sponsored by:

Almost can't even say this....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 12:44 AM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Receiver
I was in same boat. Retired 4 years ago. Wanted to simplify my life. Sold 5,000 sq ft house with 73 acres of land. Sold the 96 turbo because I did not think I would have room for it in my new smaller house and frankly because I did not love it as much as my 03 turbo x50 ( I know. Sacrilege ) For me it was the correct decision but only because I did not love the car. If you love it don t sell it. You will regret it. As for me, I' m about to pull the trigger on an 05 x50 cab. So much for not having room.

I like the coin flip concept a lot.

Good luck with your decision.
There's one guy here that's glad to have bought it. I've given some thought to selling and getting a gt3. Then I drive it again and love it. Something about air cooled Porsches are really special driving cars. Not sure what the market is going to do but that's not why I bought it.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:03 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Sat down with Sara this am to talk about letting the TT go. We're both in the same position.....don't want to sell but both of us also realize we don't want to hang on to it into retirement. I'm starting to feel more comfortable that now may be the time.

Then comes the question of how do we sell. Dealer? Ebay? Rennlist or PCA member? Friend? I actually have a couple of acquaintances of friends who have expressed interest. I like the exposure of ebay but hate the process and fees.

The car is gorgeous, Original California car. Glacier White, midnight blue interior, all original, three owner car with 35,000 miles. I have owned since 2009. Most service records to 1998. All stock except for red painted intercooler done professionally and really looks nice against the white and minor improvements that I made (FDM short shift kit and turbo sport mufflers, MO30's and Bilstein euro sport suspension). There is some minor leaks that I have not attempted to track down simply since I do not drive that much and they are not problematic. Just a great car.

What is a realistic sale price? What I want is about $185k. Want to be realistic though if market is not there. I feel like that might be a bit top of market right now. But I'm not sure. Of course I would prefer to maximize my return but would also, within reason, bias on the side of a PCA or Rennlist member where possible. Also, How can I really know who I am selling to? Would really prefer not to sell to a flipper.

Thanks, Steve.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:13 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep the TT and the Chevelle, sell everything else. Buy a Camry to run around in. :-)
Old 08-23-2015, 01:46 PM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a black/black 97 TT with 29k miles, would love to trade up for your white car. Wonder what the market is as well.. If I can sell mine quickly, I would buy your's. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2015, 02:06 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by dsu*
I have a black/black 97 TT with 29k miles, would love to trade up for your white car. Wonder what the market is as well.. If I can sell mine quickly, I would buy your's. Good luck!
Interesting. That's the kind of buyer I like...an enthusiast who appreciates the car. Seems like yours would not be a hard sell at all. Black is a pretty popular option. Good luck if you do decide to move on yours.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:09 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Keep the TT and the Chevelle, sell everything else. Buy a Camry to run around in. :-)
Thanks but the Chevelle will go. It is a beautiful cart but just doesn't do it for me. I think it will likely be the Chenille, the pickup and the TT that will go. We'll keep our survivor 914 as well as Sara's survivor '68 Mustang California Special.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:13 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

PM'd ya regarding Chevelle
Old 08-23-2015, 03:47 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
PM'd ya regarding Chevelle
Sent a few pics. Happy to send or take more.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:44 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Default A few pics of the TT

Not great and I have more somewhere.
Attached Images     
Old 08-23-2015, 05:17 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

$185k might be tough unless someone really wants white. Here's a black/black that hasn't been selling with 37k miles at $149k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252063453966?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The market is pretty flooded at this point since everyone knows air-cooled turbo = $$$.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:30 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by Skwerl
$185k might be tough unless someone really wants white. Here's a black/black that hasn't been selling with 37k miles at $149k.

Porsche 911 Turbo Coupe 2 Door | eBay

The market is pretty flooded at this point since everyone knows air-cooled turbo = $$$.
Yeah, I don't disagree with your thinking. Hard to really say right now. I think that is high end. How much lower you need to go for fair but reasonably quick sale is the question.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:31 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Almost can't even say this....

Check out the classifieds on RL, there are quite a few TT listed and none of them appear to be selling. Even dealers or flippers are not jumping on it. In so many ways the market is telling us buyers are figuring out realistically what line they won't cross. Could as well be a sign the market is levelling out too.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:09 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Love the shroud. See that you took blk. plastic trim out of lid. Like it, but concern of foreign crap (getting into engine compartment) led me to go the other way. I added stainless 1/4" mesh. Maybe remove the plastic insert like yours, and keep just the mesh?
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  169.4 KB
Old 08-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSilverFox
There's one guy here that's glad to have bought it. I've given some thought to selling and getting a gt3. Then I drive it again and love it. Something about air cooled Porsches are really special driving cars. Not sure what the market is going to do but that's not why I bought it.
Nice to see you still have the car. Have you been happy with it? It was very good to me and it really was not an easy decision to sell it but I m glad it was a Rennlister who bought it.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:35 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

To sell or not to to sell? When selling any car, the seller needs to realize the market for a quick sell, moderate sell or long term sell. What price would you be honestly happy with when you finally decide to sell? If not in a hurry, list it at top dollar(with the understanding that it might sit for the right buyer). Problem is that if you go that route, using the car may not be the best idea( plus prolonging the pain of seeing it go). If you decide to rip the band aid...then the best number you can live with(regardless of market) may be the best way to go.

Quick Reply: Almost can't even say this....